I'm older, purposely avoided cell phones, out of of touch and have no idea what you call the block things people want you to use your phone on.

The black squares that are encoded for ad's and apps and suchthat you're supposed to use your cell phone on to link to other things.

Do you mean QR codes? Things that look like this?
1624913659741.png

You typically need an app to open them, but I presume most smartphones have one as a pre-installed/background app these days. Open the camera on your phone, hold it over the code, and if an app is pre-installed, it should tell you what the code is for/where it links. If not, you'll need to download an app.

Dave

Staff member
Yup! QR Codes are stupid easy to scan. And they can be really handy. I have my wifi password in QR Code form. Scan it and you're in.

Okay,
Do you mean QR codes? Things that look like this?
View attachment 38197
You typically need an app to open them, but I presume most smartphones have one as a pre-installed/background app these days. Open the camera on your phone, hold it over the code, and if an app is pre-installed, it should tell you what the code is for/where it links. If not, you'll need to download an app.
Bless you, I have the most basic of tracfones and it didn't seem to recognize it. QR codes.

figmentPez

Staff member
On Android the easiest way is to use the Google Lens, it's found in the Google app, hit the little camera button that's next to the mic button, and it'll open your camera. Make sure "search" is selected at the bottom, and then you can use it to scan QR codes, and a lot of other stuff.

How I know you're old: you don't know what a QR code is.

How I also know you're old: you want to use QR codes. :devil:

It's more I didn't know what they're called, there is no good search term for it. Though, I guess a reverse google image search might have worked.

The whole point is we're gearing up for some dnd, and the son, who just finalized his MFA in creative fiction "GO TEAM DAVID", has recently taken over his father's computer, leaving Terry with his phone.

So, shudders, they're trying to get a phone app up and running, and the app kept asking me to sync my phone.

There are also a confusing array of proprietary picture codes that are similar-to-but-aren't-actually QR codes.

Also there are multiple QR code generators on the web if you want to create and share your own. Just make sure you test them to make sure they go where they are supposed to AND make sure you are not submitting anything confidential when you create one.

--Patrick

In Australia, every business has a QR code that lets you check in for possible future COVID contract tracing. It is habit now to check in by scanning the QR code when I go most places now.

Heck, my church has one that they put up on the screens in the auditorium for you to download the weekly program. Not sure if it makes you go get our app first, though.

In Australia, every business has a QR code that lets you check in for possible future COVID contract tracing. It is habit now to check in by scanning the QR code when I go most places now.
Same in Taiwan.

Apparently when this system was first implemented, there were a bunch of old people who had smartphones but didn't know what QR codes are, and they saw people pointing their cameras at the QR codes. So they followed suit by snapping a photo of the QR code and then going on their way. They now have a collection of QR codes in their phones' photo galleries, which unfortunately isn't very useful for contact tracing...