[Brazelton] John Young

From NPR:
John Young, who was one of NASA's most experienced astronauts and the first to fly in space six times, including a moon landing, died on Friday after complications from pneumonia. He was 87.​
In NASA's history, few astronauts were more accomplished than John Young. His career was filled with firsts: he was the first to fly in space six times. He was on the first Gemini mission and he commanded the first shuttle flight. (He was also one of 12 people to walk on the moon.)​
"If anybody deserves the title of legend it would be John Young," said Andrew Chaikin, an author who has written extensively on NASA.​

Twitter is also hailing him as the only person to have piloted Gemini, Apollo, and the Space Shuttle, all three.

--Patrick

Damn. Another one.

Remind me - was he the one who famously got out of the Columbia and looked over the shuttle like he was doing a post-flight inspection?

I cant't confirm the story, but I wouldn't be surprised.

I do remember a story about how he smuggled a sandwich onto one of his earlier flights.

Also, I remember hearing a comparison of the pulse rates between John Young and Bob Crippen while they were in the shuttle on the pad for the STS-1 launch. This was Crippen's first launch and his pulse rate was ~120 bpm. Young had been through this a few times -- heart rate was sitting around ~65.