[Brazelton] Jose Fernandez, Miami Marlins pitcher, age 24

His lefty teammate took his first pitch right handed in his honor. Hit a home run that at bat. You can see he's trying not to cry the whole time and just fails at the end.

GasBandit

Staff member
Yeah, last I heard, the police were saying he was basically going flat out flank speed and smashed directly into rocks.... sounds more like a car crash that happened on water. Surprisingly enough, they say no drugs or alcohol seem to be involved.

Yeah, last I heard, the police were saying he was basically going flat out flank speed IN THE DARK and smashed directly into rocks.... sounds more like a car crash that happened on water. Surprisingly enough, they say no drugs or alcohol seem to be involved.
Emphasis mine.

His lefty teammate took his first pitch right handed in his honor. Hit a home run that at bat. You can see he's trying not to cry the whole time and just fails at the end.

May have been wearing José's batting helmet at the time, too (don't know if they call that out in the Twitter video, they did on Streamable).
the police were saying he was basically going flat out flank speed and smashed directly into rocks
This is entirely believable, given the pictures of the scene that have been released. The boat looks like someone dropped it from the sky to nosedive straight into the rocks.

--Patrick

I didnt hear this part...jeez. This kid had nowhere to go but up, that video of dee gordon is just wrecking
Oh, hey we can embed Streamable clips:

You can watch so much go by on (what you can see of) his face. He comes around and touches home plate, happy that he could bring José with him around the bases one last time, and then the emotions overtake him, and he just falls right into Barry Bonds' hug, and he just can't hold it in any more. And then after Barry steals his helmet and Dee disappears into the dugout, you can just get a glimpse of the "16" shaved into the nape of Gordon's neck.

--Patrick

Last edited:
We don't know that he was driving the boat and its still phenomenally awful for his girlfriend and future child.
re: needs a lock status

I wasn't being serious there. That is satire.

Unless that was a satirical lock. How far down does this rabbit hole go?

Dave

Staff member
I'm not saying I'm glad he's dead, but like JFK, Jr. who was flying when he knew he wasn't supposed to and killed everyone on board, you play stupid games, you win stupid prizes.

Dave

Staff member
Whomever was driving was a fucking idiot who killed two other people.

This is a classic Louis C.K. moment: Nobody deserves to die for drinking and doing cocaine. Of course...but maybe if they weren't doing that and driving a boat at 3 am...

Dave

Staff member
What if the driver was the guy who didn't drink much and hadn't used cocaine?
Then it's even more of a tragedy. Accidents happen. But accidents when drinking, high, and driving? Not nearly as much. It straddles the line for me between tragedy - which it obviously is for the family and friends - and stupid, reckless behavior.

Dave

Staff member
um. why can't it be both?
It is both. But not for the driver in my opinion. It's a tragedy for his family, friends, and the two other guys in the boat (& their family & friends). Hell, had it been only him that it happened to it would have been a tragedy. But when you act recklessly and stupidly, and these actions cause harm to others, you've lost my sympathy. Hence this and the JFK, Jr. parallel.