[Rant] Legend of Chima

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know, last year I decided to give the Thundercats 2011 reboot a try, and I actually really enjoyed it. It was an interesting take on the whole story and I was excited to see what was going to happen next.

Then news came that after the end of the first season, the show was shelved. From what I hear the ratings were not bad, so I was very curious why Cartoon Network would basically "cancel" the show. After awhile I just shrugged and moved on.

Then a day ago while watching Regular Show, I notice a preview come up for a new LEGO Television show, done by the same animation house that did Ninjago. It's called Legend of Chima, and I sat looking at the screen going "What the fuck..."

For those that didn't watch the Thundercats 2011 It's about Lion-O as a young prince of the cat kingdom, in a Third Earth that involves all the animals having their own kingdoms and tribes. Legend of Chima is about a young prince named Laval of the cat tribe, in a world called Chima that involves animals all having their own tribes.

In TC2011, the biggest enemy of the cats is the lizards, lead by Slythe (who gain support from Mum-Ra) In Legend of Chima, the biggest enemy is the crocodile tribe.

In TC2011 the premise is that Lion-O and company are going around attempting to find these items of power to keep them out of the hands of the enemy and use them to defeat Mum-Ra and the lizards. In Legend of Chima, the premise is Laval going around and finding Chi, a powerful substance, to keep it out of the hands of the Crocodiles and use it to defeat them.

I know in the end all shows are just rips of other shows, but this explains to me why TC2011 got canned. Legend of Chima is so similar to TC2011 that if both of them were on the same channel in the same general slots, kids would have likely become confused. Since Legend of Chima will likely end with more toy sales and less production costs (due to cheap 3D, rather then the classic animation used for TC2011), it made sense for them to just get rid of TC2011.

Does not make me any less mad about it. I really liked TC2011.:fu:

TC2011 sounds like a planet Ripley nukes from orbit, just to be sure.
Honestly, I dug it. It wasn't a remake of the original show, it actually took place in the distant future of the original series with the Thundarians becoming the dominant species and subjugating the lizard men. I thought it was a cool take on the show.

Last I heard, Thundercats wasn't out right cancelled but is basically on life support. It could conceivably get another season if it does well on Toonami but it's not going to get as many episodes even if it does. I believe Symbiotic Titan is in the same boat, with Genndy Tartakovsky having already said he'd come back to the show if it does well there and CN showed interest. It would basically be a reboot of the show or possibly one that ignores the previous ending.

As for why they shelved Thundercats 2011 to begin with... it's because the toy line bombed. But then again, the toy line bombed because they moved the show (unannounced) to like 8:30 am on Saturdays, along with the last few episodes of Ben 10 Universe and Generator Rex (which means I missed the finale of both series). This was when they were still trying to pimp CNReal, but thankfully they are pushing that angle a lot less strongly these days.

It really seems like all of their bad business decisions surround CNReal these days, doesn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.