Making it personal

Status
Not open for further replies.
For whatever reason, I seem to be seeing a lot of very focused, personal attacks in some threads where posters have disagreed with each other. Now, it is only human nature to disagree, but I think that we are above name calling and rude insults. I understand that we have a lax set of rules here, but I don't feel that this is the type of behavior that we are trying to foster in our little community.

Maybe I'm wrong, and, if this is the case, I will just move on to some other forums, but I really have no desire to have some rabid Trekkie/Democrat/Republican/HFCS fanatic tell me I am an idiot or a fucking retard because I dare to have a differing opinion. That isn't the type of interaction that I am looking for here in the forum community that I call home.

Whatever opinions you may have, you are free to express them, but leave out the third grade name calling so that we can all enjoy the forums together, with minimal animosity.

Responding in kind with tough guy quips about ripping ones liver out, probably isn't a reasoned and rational response either.....just saying.

Ya, if you respond in kind like that, you'll fail. It's exactly the type of reaction they were going for. Report the post, let a moderator take care of it and move on.

Opinions are like assholes, everyone's got one. Doesn't mean you have to smell it.

MisterSteve said:
First off, you have said an awful lot of inflammatory stuff yourself so I find it a little odd that the guy who calls other peoples beliefs on something you disagree with
MisterSteve said:
retarded horseshit.
and says things like this:
MisterSteve said:
Seriously, if you STILL think Obama was a good choice, then you should just kill yourself. I mean it, just go ahead and cap your stupid smurfing dumbass self. Not even remotely kidding.
If people are coming down on you and calling you names it might be because you have insulted them and/or told them to kill themselves if they disagree with you.
You know, maybe? :heythere:

Now, if someone is being abusive, like say, telling you to kill yourself if you disagree with them, feel free to report it and we will deal with it. Your other option, if you want to start fights with people by saying stuff like the above I suggest you grow a thicker skin.

well that was pretty clear and cut. was he, by any chance, just telling people to kill themselves because they had been similarly rude to him?

Let me be clear, I agree with Steve in concept: I would rather see personal insults avoided in general. Sometimes its just friends ragging on each other. Thats cool.
But if something bothers you REPORT IT to us. Thats how it works.

MisterSteve said:
For whatever reason, I seem to be seeing a lot of very focused, personal attacks in some threads where posters have disagreed with each other. Now, it is only human nature to disagree, but I think that we are above name calling and rude insults. I understand that we have a lax set of rules here, but I don't feel that this is the type of behavior that we are trying to foster in our little community.

Maybe I'm wrong, and, if this is the case, I will just move on to some other forums, but I really have no desire to have some rabid Trekkie/Democrat/Republican/HFCS fanatic tell me I am an idiot or a fucking retard because I dare to have a differing opinion. That isn't the type of interaction that I am looking for here in the forum community that I call home.

Whatever opinions you may have, you are free to express them, but leave out the third grade name calling so that we can all enjoy the forums together, with minimal animosity.
I think you see shit that isn't there.

This isn't an attempt to make one of those same insult tradeoffs, but I think you take things more personally than they're intended. When you use language like calling people an idiot, or claiming that you would physically harm/rip organs out/vivisect/whatever, you know that there is a certain amount of hyperbole that goes behind that statement. Most people speak in figurative language, and don't mean things as literally as they would appear.

But when someone uses this same language, you take it literally, and thus get offended.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, stop being such a pansy or I'll rip your liver out. :whistling:

I don't really think there is anything else to add to this thread. Like I said, if anyone is being abusive report it. Or use that awesome boat pic up there. Thats super cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.