Mass Effect Finished... Here Goes FFXII Again... Maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I'm done with Mass Effect, and I was ready to hop onto Dead Space, but I long to play in the worlds of Final Fantasy again, so I sit here, looking at the only FF game I own that I haven't finshed.... Final Fantasy XII.

My biggest issue with it, is that I already play an MMO about 4+hrs a day, and FFXII plays like a single player MMO, so it gets a bit "burdening" to me. Also I was never a fan of the level up system.

Now, the MMO thing I can deal with but the level up thing got ruined for me when I heard about the "class level up" system in the "International Version" I was ruined. How could I play "this" version of the game when there was a more "complete" version somewherelse?

Well it's been a few years now, and I'm curious, is there an American release version with the "class level up" system available now? I "think" I can stomach playing it regularly but if I could get the better version, by all means please, some links?

Also, any non-spoiler advice for someone who got about 18hrs in before just dropping it? I remember doing some of the bounty missions and getting utterly decimated, and leveling up was tedious as hell.

If it's not your bag, don't bother with it. Life's too short to play games you don't enjoy.

I really enjoyed FF12 before I moved and moved on with someone else. When I went back to it I thought I was only about halfway through the game but ended up being at the doorstep of the final dungeon.

You don't understand... it's Final Fantasy... I MUST complete it.

Also I was REALLY enjoying the storyline, it was just the level up system that was killing it for me, I really think I'd enjoy the "class level up" system in the International version...

No, the American release never got the Class System. We never get the cool stuff... except for FFVII. We got Ruby and Emerald Weapon in that one and the Japanese didn't until later on.

The License Board isn't that hard in FFXII. Just buy Golden Amulets (for double LP) as soon as you can get them and get them equipped at all times unless you fighting a boss or something. You'll get enough License Points to MAX their boards long before you finish the game, at which point you can equip an Embroidered Tippet for double XP.

Buh.... I was hoping not to hear that answer. Oh well, at least Penelo was freakin sexy cute.

So basically with the Job Board anyone can be a "multi-tasker"?

Yeah, I wish I had advice for FF12 past "hope you do better than me" but I don't. I fucking hated that game. 10 had the best level system to me. I wish they'd use the Sphere Grid again.

I know... I know.... but the story really was enthralling... the Judges were just freakin awesome, and I've been a fan of Ivalice since FFT:A

Shegokigo said:
I know... I know.... but the story really was enthralling... the Judges were just freakin awesome, and I've been a fan of Ivalice since FFT:A
Same for me, that's what sucks. I just hated the fight system and the level system. I wish Basch had been the main character though.

CynicismKills said:
Shegokigo said:
Same for me, that's what sucks. I just hated the fight system and the level system. I wish Basch had been the main character though.
I preferred Balthier BUT Penelo was my favorite female so *shrug*

J

JONJONAUG

Play Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne instead if you're itching for a JRPG fix.

The world ends in the first five minutes and you spend the rest of the game recruiting demons to kick the collective asses of everyone else (or alternatively chose one of three factions to recreate the world in a certain image, or join Lucifer in his quest to kill god), you'll love it.

Shegokigo said:
CynicismKills said:
Shegokigo said:
I preferred Balthier BUT Penelo was my favorite female so *shrug*
I just hated Vaan. He looks like Meg Ryan.

JONJONAUG said:
Play Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne instead if you're itching for a JRPG fix.
I actually have a nice little list of RPGs I have been meaning to play, I'm also a huge fan of Shin Megami games as well (as noted in another thread a while back), but this is a "principal" thing. I've always been a Square fangirl since back in the day, and it's just not "right" to continue thinking that way till I complete FFXII.

I was just really hoping someone would say the International version got re-released in America and I just didn't know about it or had some advice that would make the experience less "grueling" on me this time around.
CynicismKills said:
I just hated Vaan.
Hence why I preferred Balthier.

Since you already shelled out for the American version, why not acquire the international version by other means?

Jake said:
Since you already shelled out for the American version, why not acquire the international version by other means?
Because I won't understand hide or hair of it, and I'm not particular to reading transcripts.

I got about 30 hours in, got stuck leveling up and up and up and up and... snooze... first FF I haven't completed. Probably never will since it's been years and I have no idea what's going on where I left it. Sad it is.

Espy said:
I got about 30 hours in, got stuck leveling up and up and up and up and... snooze... first FF I haven't completed. Probably never will since it's been years and I have no idea what's going on where I left it. Sad it is.
Yeah, I'm actually going to scratch the save and start from the beginning to avoid that problem.

I have a confession to make. I've never beaten Ject in FFX.

I have to level up my characters to beat him, and I just never got around to it.

Bowielee said:

I have to level up my characters to beat him, and I just never got around to it.
If you were unable to defeat Jecht, then you'll just have a blast trying to take on Omega. Or if you want a true challenge, trying capturing monsters for the arena on the Calm Plains. The monsters there make Sin look like a simple blue whale.

BlackCrossCrusader said:
Bowielee said:

If you were unable to defeat Jecht, then you'll just have a blast trying to take on Omega. Or if you want a true challenge, trying capturing monsters for the arena on the Calm Plains. The monsters there make Sin look like a simple blue whale.
Loved FFX for the difficulty, the extra areas and bosses.

Here's another funny thing: I've NEVER minded grinding xp and levels in ANY RPG before, but something about the way FFXII's battle system is, it makes it really annoying for me.

Shegokigo said:
BlackCrossCrusader said:
Bowielee said:

Loved FFX for the difficulty, the extra areas and bosses.

Here's another funny thing: I've NEVER minded grinding xp and levels in ANY RPG before, but something about the way FFXII's battle system is, it makes it really annoying for me.
My thoughts exactly, though I did despise the way you had to get everyone's ultimate weapons. I enjoyed the way that was done in VII, with the side-stories (save for Cloud's). X ramped up at a good pace, difficulty-wise, and I never felt overwhelmed. Jecht was a bastard, but I loved the fight. Tidus/Auron/Yuna was my personal favorite group comp.

Which also reminds me, I loved loved loved the in-battle party swap.

The Ultimate Weapons thing was a cop-out to get people to buy strat guides, plain and simple. So yes, I was annoyed too. Same goes for the "secret" summons. None the less, a great game.

Tidus/Lulu/Rikku here.

Shegokigo said:
The Ultimate Weapons thing was a cop-out to get people to buy strat guides, plain and simple. So yes, I was annoyed too. Same goes for the "secret" summons. None the less, a great game.

Tidus/Lulu/Rikku here.
I really wish it was a 4-party system, I wanted to use Lulu more (doublecast :heart: ), but Auron was a beast and I liked going into boss fights with Overdrive Summons.

Auron just has to be in the party. His armor and spell breaks are so powerful, I don't know how I'd get by without them.

Bowielee said:
Auron just has to be in the party. His armor and spell breaks are so powerful, I don't know how I'd get by without them.
Never been a fan of the overpowered God character.

EX: My FFT team never had T.G. Cid, my favorites were Agrias and Meliadoul.

Bowielee said:
ENDING SPOILERS

[spoiler:2nf8k4fq]I got so sad when I found out he was dead, and then even moreso when he dissipated after I killed Jecht.

"It's your story now."[/spoiler:2nf8k4fq]

I need a job so I can get a ps2. I want to play this game again. :waah:

Shegokigo said:
Buh.... I was hoping not to hear that answer. Oh well, at least Penelo was freakin sexy cute.

So basically with the Job Board anyone can be a "multi-tasker"?
Basically, though some characters are better at some things than others, due to their animations. For example, Balthier is the worst Gunner because his animations are longer than everyone elses and the rabbit girl is the worst Bower because her Archery animations are the longest.

As for the international version... yes, sadly, it's only in Japanese, so you'd need a guide to understand the text. However, the voice acting is still English, if you want it to be.

If your looking for more RPGs to try, I suggest the Shadow Hearts series (your going to need to shell out some cash for these... they only had limited pressings) and Persona series (if you get Persona 3, make sure it's the FES edition.)

If you really enjoyed the FFXII story and want to get the most enjoyment out of it you can without getting bogged down by grinding, here is what I suggest:

- Ignore all the side quests, especially the hunts.
- Fight only necessary battles. This makes story battles a bit more challenging, but nothing along the main path is so challenging to make it impossible. Only do as much grinding as is absolutely necessary.

To me, what makes the game a chore is that about 75% of it is in the journey from one plot point to another. During the journey, what are you doing? Basically watching a fight, if you use the gambits. If you don't use the gambits? You're basically watching your characters run through boring wastelands to get from plot point to plot point, doing nothing. At least by ignoring everything aside from necessary battles, you can pare the chore part of the game down to a minimum.

Status
Not open for further replies.