[Movies] MCU: Phase 3 And Beyond

I should add that the Ancient One in Doctor Strange was supposed to be Tibetan but Disney made her Celtic instead. They wanted all that Chinese box office revenue and there was no way Chinese censors would approve a film with a Tibetan character.

That’s her point. She liked Dr. strange and Iron Man, but she wants them to stop going back to that well (apparently).
Well, she's going to be really disappointed with films once she realises how few actual stories have the necessary mass appeal to justify the movie making expenses.

figmentPez

Staff member

NO. Just let comic book characters die.

Also, screw the sexism and racism inherent to this campaign.
@Dave Upcoming shows in the MCU are more diverse, and most notably include the Disney+ series Ironheart where Riri Williams, a young black woman, will wear Ironman style armor. Not every Tony Stark fan wants him back for prejudiced reasons, but a fair number of them just can't stand to see a black woman wear the Iron- armor.

Ah. Well, ok. I don't think "wanting Iron man back" is necessarily racist and sexist, though. I don't know Ironheart at all, but Warmachine for example wore Iron armor while Iron Man was around. Is there a reason Iron Man and Ironheart couldn't exist together? I mean, I genuinely think most/a lot of people who'd want IM back don't think it's because all heroes should be white guys.
I think dead characters should stay dead because that way it at least has some depth/weight (I'm looking at you second season of Star Trek Discovery), but if I was going to bring a hero back, IM would be near the top of the list. And I didn't even know there was some other reason behind it.

Some Marvel fans: "I wish they'd bring back Tony Stark."

[Monkey paw finger curls]

Breaking News: "Robert Downey Jr not returning. Character to be recast. Tom Cruise current top pick."

[EDIT: Not actual news. This is a joke.]

Last edited:
I love Anothoney Mackie as Falcon and love the storyline of him taking up the shield, but new Wakandan wings, the shield, and what I assume is Wankandan style body armor *not an IM style suit*, at the end of the day he's off the rack human. Hawkeye gets away with it because rarely gets up close and personal, or when he does, it's against *humans*. Maybe some of you folks more up to date on his turn as Cap can provide some answers, but being as he's a baseline human, when he get's his ass kicked, how/if was the fact he actually would need to heal portrayed.

Not really sure what you are getting at? If you are using Hawkeye as the example line, then most of the heroes are "off the shelf human" rank, like Black Widow, Ant Man, Wasp, Star Lord, Iron Man, War Machine, Okoyo, Shuri, etc. Most of those people require some sort of technology to make them extra exceptional, like Ant Man and Iron Man's suits, or Star Lord's helmet and gadgets (He lost all his godly extra powers when Ego died)

It just seems a little odd you are singling out Sam here when he falls under the same thing as Iron Man, a dude in a juiced up suit of future tech. Maybe I am just reading it wrong.

Besides, based on what we saw in the last episode, the suit does have other enhancements outside of the Vibranium wings. The dude stopped an armored car from falling with just his arms and a jetpack. Even the strongest regular person would have his arms crumple under that type of pressure, but Sam was able to hold it until Redwing and Bluewing were able to detach and help. The suit has to have some sort of strength or mechanical enhancement to mimic super strength for that to be possible. Since Shuri supposedly made it for Sam, the whole suit is likely enhanced similar to the older Black Panther armors.

I'm just asking from a comic book prospective. That whole armored car is typical MCU cinematic license . If he's gonna get up close and personal as Cap *which I think is awesome*, strength, reaction time, and very importantly healing * because he's gonna take shots that require downtime* I'm just wondering if that was ever addressed in the comics. Comics got too goddamn expensive and manipulative pricing wise to *buy this other book for the next chapter* to keep following some time ago for me.
Whether or not in the MCU, which will be answered soon, Black Widow may have a variant of A super soldier serum.
Ant Man, usually as Giant Man experiences physical results and needs downtime when he's overdone it.
Suits of Stark Armor generally protect the wearer from physical harm until they don't

I am just asking if his * Sam Wilson's* limitations as just being human, strength, ENDURANCE, and healing, were ever explored in the comics when carried the shield.

But thanks for going to the dark place. You're a peach of a person.

I'm just asking from a comic book prospective. That whole armored car is typical MCU cinematic license . If he's gonna get up close and personal as Cap *which I think is awesome*, strength, reaction time, and very importantly healing * because he's gonna take shots that require downtime* I'm just wondering if that was ever addressed in the comics. Comics got too goddamn expensive and manipulative pricing wise to *buy this other book for the next chapter* to keep following some time ago for me.
Whether or not in the MCU, which will be answered soon, Black Widow may have a variant of A super soldier serum.
Ant Man, usually as Giant Man experiences physical results and needs downtime when he's overdone it.
Suits of Stark Armor generally protect the wearer from physical harm until they don't

I am just asking if his * Sam Wilson's* limitations as just being human, strength, ENDURANCE, and healing, were ever explored in the comics when carried the shield.

But thanks for going to the dark place. You're a peach of a person.
It's called suspension of disbelief. Lots of characters take damage that should be lethal and walk it off. Tony Stark should have turned into paste in his suit a long time ago.

Yes, I feel like something was taken from my post that was not intentional. I was just asking why Sam was being singled out with Hawkeye like they are the only two regular people super heroes in the series. There was no other subtext, it was just as odd question when you have so many non-powered people who just use tech, like Iron Man himself.

It actually reminds me, but Iron Man 3 even went into the whole fact that Tony is a regular dude. He loses his suit for much of the middle and has to get creative with makeshift weapons, and in the end his suits can't defend him from Killian's abilities, forcing him to eject himself multiple times from being sliced in half. Just look at Sam the same way as Rhodes, a soldier in a powerful suit who has to ultimately rely on his whits.

Yes, I feel like something was taken from my post that was not intentional. I was just asking why Sam was being singled out with Hawkeye like they are the only two regular people super heroes in the series. There was no other subtext, it was just as odd question when you have so many non-powered people who just use tech, like Iron Man himself.
Once again, as someone who fell out of the comics, did they come up with something to keep him healthy, there's always going to be Deus Ex Comica, but if/how did they get around it in the comics. And while I realize the MCU will ignore some shock blast or somesuch that can throw IM or Thor across a room and ignore the lesser armored peoples that should be pulped,
At the end of the day, somebody sub-Spidey levels but more than . . . . is gonna a land a punch or kick or two. I am seriously curious if the comics ever addressed it.
And NO the Iron Man Suits don't count. They are a complete suit of armor, as opposed to Sam's primo spot for baseball bat on the top of his head

And NO the Iron Man Suits don't count. They are a complete suit of armor, as opposed to Sam's primo spot for baseball bat on the top of his head
So your issue is that since his armor isn't all encompassing and won't block 360 degrees of possible attack, how does he survive or handle getting smacked in the head with a bat? Again, it's an odd question, because you just never have him get hit by an attack like that. It's the same line of reasoning as why all the soldiers shoot at Captain America's shield rather then his exposed legs, or why people with long range rifles always seem to run into primo fist punching range the minute the hero has to look cool rocket punching a dude to death (Looking at you, Boba Fett).

I mean, seriously dude, go back and look at the stuff he went through since Winter Soldier. The dude was able to avoid high intensity anti-aircraft fire from a Heli carrier with nothing but his wing suit and some spunk.

When it came time for Civil War, the dude was flying into the middle of a terrorist cell and beating the shit out of people shooting at him with machine guns.

In the end, you can call it what it is, which is PLOT ARMOR, but it's a comic (and movies based on a comic) so it does not really matter. It the same reason Thor can get cut by a knife multiple times and yet can survive the direct blast of a star. It's never going to be consistent from point to point. Even Captain America for all his strengths, was shot and killed by Crossbones in the comics, which was what lead to both Sam and Bucky taking on the mantle for a time. Of course later on they wanted him back, and space / time wishy wooshy and Steve returned. That's just comics.

Last edited:
I love Anothoney Mackie as Falcon and love the storyline of him taking up the shield, but new Wakandan wings, the shield, and what I assume is Wankandan style body armor *not an IM style suit*, at the end of the day he's off the rack human. Hawkeye gets away with it because rarely gets up close and personal, or when he does, it's against *humans*. Maybe some of you folks more up to date on his turn as Cap can provide some answers, but being as he's a baseline human, when he get's his ass kicked, how/if was the fact he actually would need to heal portrayed.
Let me take a stab what what appears to be the only question here. There a ton of movies out there, not just superhero moves, where the hero gets shot or stabbed. 3 scenes later, the wound is covered by some clothing, so you forget about it, and suddenly the sidekick is patting that guy on the very same shoulder with a bullet wound. It's a trope. Rather than list a ton of examples, lets just link directly to the trope:

Heroes lying up in hospital beds isn't exciting. The only reason to do it is for a plot point. If no point is to be made, any injury Sam takes in a fight will be completely ignored a couple of scenes later.

By the same token, seemingly normal-human characters will exhibit preternatural strength, speed, agility, reflexes, etc, if the scene calls for it. They're as Strong as They Need to Be.

Last edited:
Also, superheroes wouldn't work if you actually asked them to obey the laws of physics. At least not as the genre they currently are.

Whoever put this together deserves a goddamn raise.

Also, some news on titles and release dates from this. Of course release dates are rarely set in stone.

Black Widow - July 9, 2021
Shang-Chi & the Legend of the Ten Rings - September 3, 2021
The Eternals - November 5, 2021 (including some very brief footage)
Spider-Man No Way Home - December 21, 2021
Doctor Strange & the Multiverse of Madness - March 25, 2022
Thor Love & Thunder - May 6, 2022
Black Panther Wakanda Forever - July 8, 2022
The Marvels - November 21, 2022 (with symbols for both Captain Marvel & Ms Marvel in the lettering)
Ant-Man & Wasp Quantumania - February 13, 2023
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 3 - May 5, 2023
And finally, the Fantastic Four "4" symbol, with no release date.

Jeeze.
I mean, on the one hand, I do want to see almost every one of those, individually.
On the other hand, just 2021 has 4 more series and 4 more movies all in the same universe, They're really just going full tilt to push as much as possible before everybody burns out ,huh?