[Movies] MCU: Phase 5 - To Kang or Not to Kang

One theory that I've heard is that they are changing the inhuman connection to her origins and the item she finds in the trailer and apparently gets her powers from is a nega-band.
The inhumans are buried on the moon never to be spoken of again

So I finally got D+ and I'm slowly working through the series I haven't been able to watch before. Currently I've finished Wandavision.

Overall I liked it, I'd say I'd give it a 7/10 overall, though I feel like I liked the later episodes a lot more than the earlier ones. The early ones were basically just "Look at this weird TV world, isn't that weird? And Wanda and Vision are in it, isn't that weird?" They didn't really start explaining things until like the fourth episode. I would've preferred if they started explaining things earlier. The later episodes were more interesting to me, because they actually explained things and moved the story forward.

Though I think part of the reason I didn't enjoy the early episodes as much might be because I never really watched the old sitcoms those episodes are based on, so there was no element of nostalgia or "spot the similarities" for me.

Anyway, the show was well acted (the last few minutes of the last episode got me a bit teary), the visuals were good, the action sequences are suitably exciting, and Wanda's overall story was moved forward nicely. I look forward to seeing what she can do in future MCU productions.

Also Wanda is hot. Monica is also hot. Agnes is hot, though I'm not really into the "witch grunge" aesthetic.

Though I think part of the reason I didn't enjoy the early episodes as much might be because I never really watched the old sitcoms those episodes are based on, so there was no element of nostalgia or "spot the similarities" for me.
I'm the opposite. Growing up watching all of those shows rerun on nick at night, I even recognized each of the sets.

The first episode was torture because for the same reason. I have zero nostalgia for sitcoms that old and that first episode was just a 50s sitcom with a moment of weirdness at the end.

I find it entertaining how the MCU handles marketing for films vs how Sony handles it. One clearly knowing that people will come see what usually amounts to high quality fun, vs the other's desperate attempt to get a piece of the MCU pie.

MCU: Here's some fun stuff to get you into the theater. But the big surprises we're going to make you wait for. McGuire and Garfield? Why would they be in this film? Don't know what you're talking about.

SONY:
YEAH! Michael Keaton is in this film! He's Adrian Toomes! This is the big secret cameo in the post credits! PLEASE SEE OUR FILM!

figmentPez

Staff member
But they didn't release the trailer until __ days before the movie came out! That means they don't have any faith in it! They're throwing the movie under the bus because they know it stinks! This is the end of the MCU!

Good gravy, the clickbait headlines I've seen around this trailer.

The only time you need to worry about the quality of a film before release is if...

- it gets dumped in Jan-Feb or August-Sept with little fanfare
or
- they don't do critic screenings before the movie comes out

But they didn't release the trailer until __ days before the movie came out! That means they don't have any faith in it! They're throwing the movie under the bus because they know it stinks! This is the end of the MCU!

Good gravy, the clickbait headlines I've seen around this trailer.
While looking up some of this madness, I learned this is a small but vocal minority out there who fucking hate Thor: Ragnarok. I thought that was odd, since it's usually considered a good movie. Most of the complaints? Loki is not grimdark enough, the movie isn't serious enough (like the The Dark World, lol), and that Taika Waititi said in an interview that he only read a few comics Marvel gave him before meeting with the studio about planning.

Cardinal sins, all of them.

My point is that people will complain no matter what. The trailer strikes me as kinda "meh" but it's just a teaser, and I would want to see more or read some reviews before making up my mind in any way.

As yes... Thor: The Dark World. The universally panned Marvel movie that was made before they had settled on a "tone" for the franchises. Something totally worth defending.

GasBandit

Staff member
Am I weird for liking both Dark World and Ragnarok? I actually thought the first Thor movie was not as good as either of them. Not bad, just not as good.

Am I weird for liking both Dark World and Ragnarok? I actually thought the first Thor movie was not as good as either of them. Not bad, just not as good.
I honestly like any parts in Dark World that have both Thor and Loki. They have such great chemistry as brothers that those are the best parts of the movie to me. I'm kinda "eh" on the rest.

While looking up some of this madness, I learned this is a small but vocal minority out there who fucking hate Thor: Ragnarok. I thought that was odd, since it's usually considered a good movie. Most of the complaints? Loki is not grimdark enough, the movie isn't serious enough (like the The Dark World, lol), and that Taika Waititi said in an interview that he only read a few comics Marvel gave him before meeting with the studio about planning.
I know everyone is allowed to have an opinion, and it's okay if you're not a fan of Ragnarok, but I'm confused about the hate? It felt very much like the comics published in the mid-80's through the mid-90's. Garish colors, wild cities, tongue-in-cheek humor mixed with violence, action, and some surprising emotional scenes. I don't have a ton of Thor comics, but the ones that I do have fit that description. Actually, a lot of the comics I have from that time period could fit that description. Maybe it needed more grimaces?

I know everyone is allowed to have an opinion, and it's okay if you're not a fan of Ragnarok, but I'm confused about the hate? It felt very much like the comics published in the mid-80's through the mid-90's. Garish colors, wild cities, tongue-in-cheek humor mixed with violence, action, and some surprising emotional scenes. I don't have a ton of Thor comics, but the ones that I do have fit that description. Actually, a lot of the comics I have from that time period could fit that description. Maybe it needed more grimaces?
I guess the people who hate "Ragnarök" are the same who love "Watchmen" for all the wrong reasons.

I liked The Dark World well enough, but I still rank it along the bottom of my MCU list. Ragnarok is definitely my favorite, largely because it was refreshing to have Hulk actually talk for a change. And the Kirby aesthetics are off the charts more than any other Marvel movie (including Eternals, where it SHOULD have been bleeding Kirby aesthetics).

I really like the first one, too, though. Probably gonna get flack for this, but I like it more than the first Iron Man.