[Movies] MCU: Phase 5 - To Kang or Not to Kang

Man the MCU power creep is still getting to me a bit. It's sometimes hard to imagine we started with a guy who decided to build a metal suit in the desert to... well all the stuff that happened in Eternals.

The Brazilian version of the trailer has a longer version of that scaffold brawl set piece scene that shows
Lizard getting punched by nothing. The other Peter's are definitely edited out of that, or at least something is.

The Brazilian version of the trailer has a longer version of that scaffold brawl set piece scene that shows
Lizard getting punched by nothing. The other Peter's are definitely edited out of that, or at least something is.

It's Mephisto.

Reactions: Far
Finished watching the first two episodes of Hawkeye.

Eh, it's okay, I guess? Hailee Steinfeld is great and you can probably expect her to fully take over the mantle at some point. Renner feels like he's sleepwalking through the whole thing. Which is KIND of in character, but it's also just Renner's performance in general.

There was this whole side adventure with him in Ep 2 that felt like it was supposed to be this whole comedy bit, but it falls way short and felt like padding more than anything.

The Tracksuit Mafia like bad 80s villain cartoonish alongside what they're doing here. They were cartoonish in the comics, too, and they're an accurate representation, but...the Fraction/Aja run as a whole was also almost a comedic book at times. This show is far more serious.

And I think it all falls back on Renner again. He's far too deadpan with everything. In the comic, he's snarky, but in a kind of loveable doofus kind of way. Here, it's just Deadpan City. It really feels like Renner himself, not Hawkeye the character, would rather be anywhere else.

I'll keep watching through to the end because, well, what the fuck else am I doing with my life these days, but yeah, kinda disappointing.

figmentPez

Staff member
I'll offer the contrasting viewpoint. I absolutely loved the first two episodes of Hawkeye and I thought Renner was fantastic. I was sobbing because of Clint's trauma over the loss of Nat, his difficulties in feeling safe and present with his returned family, and I'm not getting "deadpan" from him at all.

I'd say more but I'm exhausted. My health has not been great lately, and for Hawkeye to have grabbed me so thoroughly was no small feat given how tired I am.

Watched Episode 3 just now. I don't know what it was but I really liked this one more than the first two. Maybe I was just in a bad mood before.

Wait...*double checks* STILL no boomerang arrow?

WORST. SHOW. EVER.

Best Part of Episode 3:
Pym Arrow
Not a huge fan of that one.
Didn’t they just go through a whole thing about having to time travel to get pun particles because they couldn’t make more? I’m guessing that arrow would need some, and it would be a huge waste if they did have some extra now.

It was pretty cool though.

Not a huge fan of that one.
Didn’t they just go through a whole thing about having to time travel to get pun particles because they couldn’t make more? I’m guessing that arrow would need some, and it would be a huge waste if they did have some extra now.

It was pretty cool though.
Wasn't the maker of Pym Particles, Hank Pym, dusted, and he was brought back after the time heist? It's been a few years, and he's alive, so why couldn't he make more Pym Particles for the remaining Avengers at this point?

Wasn't the maker of Pym Particles, Hank Pym, dusted, and he was brought back after the time heist? It's been a few years, and he's alive, so why couldn't he make more Pym Particles for the remaining Avengers at this point?
I only put it in spoilers because it referred to what happened in the show. You could be right though, he might have made more after that. It just seems like a really advanced piece of tech to just leave there.

It occurs to me that if Pym particles were now unavailable, the next Ant-Man movie would be kind of sad.

No, you're spot on. The reason they couldn't make more Pym particles during Endgame is because Hank Pym had been dusted (at the end of Ant-Man & the Wasp). Since he was the inventor of Pym Particles, he couldn't make more for them and they had to rely on the remaining supply of it.

After he came back with everyone else, it's perfectly reasonable for Clint to get hooked up with some for a Pym-powered arrow.

Someone on Imgur posted a picture of the Watcher from the "What If" series. I had to change the text on the last panel. (Incidentally, Photoshop's 'content aware fill' makes getting rid of old text and replacing it so much simpler than it used to be)
watcher.png

Imagine being handed the keys to one of the biggest selling, most culturally significant blockbusters in recent years...and completely fuck it up because you're an anti-vaxxer dumbass that wouldn't get the jab.
Right? And, well, not that I condone it, but fake vaccine cards are easy, plentiful, and cheap. I'm sure for a couple of hundred bucks she could find a doc to inject some saline and give her a vaxx pass.

Considering she's also openly been a transphobe on twitter, I say this is a long time coming and maybe it's about time for Disney (and Warner Brothers) to start looking carefully at the shit people who might be working for them say in public.

For what it's also worth, Terrence Howard is a garbage person who tries to destroy his own career. Oh, and a Mysogynist with a captial "M".
I didn't know that, but it wouldn't surprise me.

I thought Howard was okay at the time. But when Don Cheadle took his place, I thought Cheadle was much more suitable for the role. He carried more of a "military career" vibe and had much better chemistry with Downey Jr.