MMA talk of sorts (UFC 101 spoilers in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure if anyone here enjoys or watches MMA, but myself, I am an avid fan. Just got back from watching UFC 101 with some work buddies (well, waking up from his couch after imbibing too much last night). Man, it wasn't as huge feeling an event as 100 but overall I enjoyed it. There were some bad hiccups such as Dan Mirgliotta continuing to be the worst ref in MMA today and Anderson Silva's single handedly making the entire light heavyweight division look like chumps with his utter domination and humiliation of Forest Griffin.

On Forest Griffin, what are they supposed to do with him now? He was so completely humiliated by Silva that will anyone at LHW even want to fight him? Lose and you just lost to the chump that couldn't even last a round with a middleweight, win and you just beat the chump that....couldn't last a round with a middleweight. Though really, that's not exactly something to be ashamed of. I honestly think Silva could probably make short work of anyone at LHW. He's really cementing his legacy as one of the best fighters of all time. His utter crushing of LHWs though is really making the entire division look terrible. I also hope this silences people trying to get GSP to go up to fight Silva. GSP would look like a midget next to Silva.

BJ continues to be a complete beast at 155. He should definitely stick to it rather than continually trying to go up to welter. Florian had absolutely nothing for him. All Florian could do was fence hump him in a vain hope to wear him down.

I didn't watch it due to the PPVness of it, but it sounds like Silva actually had a good fight, which is good because his last 2 fights were ridiculously boring.

Good fight, he broke Griffin's jaw with his first punch. Then knocked him down a few times. Followed by completely dropping his hands and dodging Griffin's final pathetic attempts at an offense with a little bit of bob and weave followed by completely dropping him with a back peddling jab.

It was a completely, completely one sided beating.

And I really don't blame him for the Leites fight. Why in the hell would he want to go into Leites' guard every time Leites dropped onto his ass?

Guida needs to get a another win or two and take that belt from BJ. I love the UFC but I am really getting tired of the childish behaviour of Dana White.

I'm admittedly a newb to UFC/MMA, but in general what is the usual time between fights in UFC compared to Boxing?

edit: time between like, for individual fighters

3-6 months downtime for fighters is the norm, in the UFC anyway. There are guys who plug away month to month or even week to week in the smaller organizations.

The biggest determining factor is the doctor by the sanctioning authority after the fight. Based upon their ruling fighters will be suspended from fighting in that sanctioning territory for a length of time. This suspension is generally obeyed by all other bodies.

The second factor is fight promotion by the UFC, trying to find a good match that will sell or promote.

Third is UF TV show for the coaches, get witheld for ages from fighting so hey can fight when the series is over.

Fourth is fighter desire to fight.

I watched it last night at the bar with a buddy. Very nice event, not a boring fight on the card. Low point was the *ahem* questionable stoppage in the Sadollah/Hendricks fight. Amir was hurt, no question, but he was getting up, come on!

High point was Silva's systematic dismantling of Forrest Griffin. I mean holy crap! That was just scary. The winner of Marquart/Maia is next in theory, but I think Anderson holds on to that belt for as long as he wants.

BJ Penn has always been a monster at Lightweight, this does not change. The rumour going around is that Diego Sanchez is next, which wouldn't surprise me in the least. Should be a good fight.

So, I'm watching Strikeforce. Man, this Gegard Mousasi guy just won the Strikeforce LHW title. This guy is a monster. He just obliterated Renato Sobral in about 16 seconds. I cannot wait to see him fight again.

It might make getting on network tv more difficult for them. Santos is not exactly what you'd call telegenic, so the network execs might get more hesitant. I'll be interested to see if Carano's drawing power has been hurt by that ass-whooping, as well. But unlike Elite XC (and Affliction), Strikeforce was never built around a single fighter. Coker's smart.

Mousasi's an awesome fighter, but since he'll also be fighting in Dream, we probably won't get to see him very often. Which will give SF time to actually find him a contender.

If anything spells the end of Strikeforce, my guess is that it'll be the deal with M-1 Global for Fedor Emelianenko's services. I'm not convinced they'll be able to afford it and M-1 DOES have a history of killing its partners.

Then again, Scott Coker's smart.

is Fedor still fighting?

As long as he's active, no one else can be considered the best pound for pound fighter

There's a rumor that his first fight with Strikeforce will be against Ricco Rodriguez. Which, of course, would be a complete fucking waste of time.

-- Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:39 am --

HCGLNS said:
:( for Gina.

Hopefully this won't spell the end of Strikeforce.
Gina looks like one of the officers I work with.
Same athletic build, little bit of a round face and gorgeous smile.

:hump: :hump:

If she wasn't already married to another officer I work with.

:tear:

Status
Not open for further replies.