Music that just hits you thread...

Oh man, I'll probably post in this thread a few times. This is the most blatantly manipulative song I've heard.

And it completely works on me.

Billy Joel - "The Downeaster Alexa"

The story it tells is quite a ballad, and I'm sure many a New Englander can relate. The video does a good job of portraying the setting and the stereotypical crusty characters, too.

Johnny Cash - "Hurt"

You knew this one was going to be in this list. Johnny Cash tears a song from Trent Reznor's grip and remakes it in his own image, turning Reznor's nihilistic lyrics about ending the present upside-down and instead making the song one of how badly Cash wants the past to return.
(this version has waaaay too many annotations, but fortunately they can be turned off)

And speaking of hurting...
Tom Smith - "A Boy and His Frog"

This song frequently wins...nay, shuts down just about every "saddest song evar" competition when it shows up. If you're 25-50 years old, enjoyed movies like The Dark Crystal or Labyrinth, know who Emmet Otter is, if you can't count to 12 without humming the tune, or without lightning crashing to your maniacal laugh once you get there...this song aches. It aches so bad that YouTube viewers have actually flagged it enough to get it age-restricted.

I'll post a few more when I can remember what they are. I know there have to be a couple more nagging at me.

--Patrick

Last edited:
This whole album reminds of an ex that I fell for pretty hard, and the breakup that completely destroyed my confidence and drive for years. This song especially still stirs things up.

This was one of two bands that basically every friend in my highschool circle loved to death, and this album was the crown jewel. We sat and watched a meteor shower with it playing one night. It reminds me of the consequences of depression getting the best of me, consequences that I still live with.

Lastly, with that same group of friends I learned the lyrics to this song, from another band we all loved. Late nights in a garage with shitty equipment, acting like we were a real band and not a bunch of goofy marching band geeks with too much free time. I still know all the words.

There's no link, because Beyonce doesn't give her music away for free online, but Lemonade hit me like a ton of bricks. The "visual album"/full length music video on HBO Saturday night was amazing, I'm glad I was able to DVR it on the free weekend. The video is on Tidal, album on iTunes now.

There's no link, because Beyonce doesn't give her music away for free online, but Lemonade hit me like a ton of bricks. The "visual album"/full length music video on HBO Saturday night was amazing, I'm glad I was able to DVR it on the free weekend. The video is on Tidal, album on iTunes now.

I'd post more stuff but I'm at work, and the school blocks Youtube.

In more uplifting music, Daft Punk's Discovery always puts me in a great mood. That one and Phantom Planet's The Guest were great albums to blast with the windows down, driving to/from San Diego on a gorgeous afternoon.

I'd post more stuff but I'm at work, and the school blocks Youtube.

In more uplifting music, Daft Punk's Discovery always puts me in a great mood. That one and Phantom Planet's The Guest were great albums to blast with the windows down, driving to/from San Diego on a gorgeous afternoon.

Oooh in a similar vein to Daft Punk. I love Glitch Mob; this song in particular:
Always puts me in an adventurous "let's take the back roads" mood.

I recommend headphones, or good speakers:

MBD is the only band I've bothered buying every physical record from.

Here's two others that feel particularly emotive to me, though I could honestly just link their entire repertoire.

Edit: Here's their bandcamp, you can freely listen to nearly every song they've ever put out: murderbydeath.bandcamp.com

Buddy, if you like Daft and Glitch, I got a treat for you:

Ocean Lab.

Oh man, those feels.
Deliciously ambient, I love it.

I recommend headphones, or good speakers:

MBD is the only band I've bothered buying every physical record from.

Here's two others that feel particularly emotive to me, though I could honestly just link their entire repertoire.

Edit: Here's their bandcamp, you can freely listen to nearly every song they've ever put out: murderbydeath.bandcamp.com
MBD is great!

Now I'm going through music that I like for different reasons and realize just how extreme my musical tastes are. So here is some music that I used to play when I was running/going to the gym. Music that's good for getting pumped and hitting things! These are pretty tame really. Lyrics are NFSW for a few of them.

Hee hee first occurrence of Combichrist on the board (that I know of).
Also, didn't realize that "music which affects you" could potentially be other than the mood-crushing variety.
If that's the case, we can get some out of the way by perusing this thread of uplifting music.

--Patrick

Hee hee first occurrence of Combichrist on the board (that I know of).
Also, didn't realize that "music which affects you" could potentially be other than the mood-crushing variety.
If that's the case, we can get some out of the way by perusing this thread of uplifting music.

--Patrick

Oh yeah! Anything that you feel a personal connection to and makes them feels happen.[DOUBLEPOST=1461767179,1461766970][/DOUBLEPOST]

HHHHGGGGGNNNNGGGGGHHHHHH[DOUBLEPOST=1461767369][/DOUBLEPOST]Also Lauren O'Connell is great. 1988 is a great song that's such a great tune about expectations and loss of innocence.

[DOUBLEPOST=1461767630][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh here's another one that both the song and video are great:

Video is amazing and always reminds me of great times with friends that dull the misery of routine. Also, I miss New York. :(

Music that makes me happy:

Jim Croce is one of my dad's favorite artists from the 70's. He used to listen to this in the car all the time when I was young, so it reminds me of him mostly. Make me want to call him. :)

Gordon Lightfoot was played by my parents all the time, so like the one above, reminds me of my younger days at home. I really like this one as well.

This is the song @dill616 and I had our first dance to and we walked down the aisle together to it as well. Makes me happy all over.

As for music that makes me sad:

Because it always reminds me of North Ranger. Always.

I may have more later, but I can't see right now as I have all of the dust in my eye.