Need to buy new Motherboard and Processor

Title says it all. Back in November, my motherboard gave up the ghost and now it needs to be replaced... but so does the processor because it's an LGA 1150 socket and they don't make boards for those anymore.

Budget is basically less than $600-700. Saw these deals on newegg...

Asus TUF Gaming Z590 (Motherboard)

Intel Core i5-11600K (Processor)

Combined: $430

Any thoughts or other recommendations?

Won't you also need new RAM and HSF (and possibly PSU)?
If so, don't forget to include their costs in your budgeting.
What board/CPU will you be leaving behind?

--Patrick

Won't you also need new RAM and HSF (and possibly PSU)?
If so, don't forget to include their costs in your budgeting.
What board/CPU will you be leaving behind?

--Patrick
Asus Z87-K (1150 chipset) with an Intel I5 quad core. They don't make 1150 boardss anymore, they are at least 6 years out of date now.
I really should be able to just remove the heatsink/fan and put it over the new one, but even if I can't, that's maybe a hundred bucks.
The power supply is a Corsair CX600, which has the appropriate 24 pin for a modern motherboard and the 6/8 pins for PCI-Es. 600 watt and it's working.
I will need to buy DDR4 ram, but that's always going on sale. I just need a good price, hence why I budgeted this stuff for about $450-500 in total so I can get RAM later.
Can't remember if the video card is PCI-E 3.0 or 4.0, but it has slots for both.

I'm aware I'll probably have to buy this stuff in stages, but I'm looking out for good deals for parts in the meantime.

The 11th gen intel is one of the worst releases intel has come out with. You could do better with a Ryzen 5 5600X and a B450 or B550 board. Hell, the X570 Tomahawk goes for around $230 on newegg, and is one of the best boards out there.

You don't need to budget $100 for a cooler. A 65W TDP part doesn't *need* something like a Noctua if you don't plan on trying to OC the crap out of it.

How close is your nearest Micro Center? There are mega deals to be had in store if the drive isn't too long.

The 11th gen intel is one of the worst releases intel has come out with. You could do better with a Ryzen 5 5600X and a B450 or B550 board. Hell, the X570 Tomahawk goes for around $230 on newegg, and is one of the best boards out there.

You don't need to budget $100 for a cooler. A 65W TDP part doesn't *need* something like a Noctua if you don't plan on trying to OC the crap out of it.

How close is your nearest Micro Center? There are mega deals to be had in store if the drive isn't too long.
It's far enough away that it's somewhere I can't really make a trip out of (and I've tried) without someone just going "Write down what you want" and that's just a disaster waiting to happen. Last time I looked was just before Christmas and all the MB's were still not on sale and I'm not spending $300 on a MB if I can help it.

I'll look into the boards you mentioned though. See if I can find them on sale somewhere.

Arguably the best i5 for Z87 motherboards was the "Devil's Canyon" i5-4790K.
CPU value leaders right now seem to be the i5-12600K (Intel) or 5600X (AMD) CPUs.
Here's how they stack up:

cpnu.png

The 12600K might look like a little better deal (though at 2x the TDP-whew!), but the board/RAM/etc you'd need for it are probably going to tack a lot more onto the price than what you can find for the 5600X. You can get good B550 or entry X570 boards for ~$150, while the Z690 boards look like they start at around $250, with the average being closer to $350-400.

--Patrick

CPU value leaders right now seem to be the i5-12600K (Intel) or 5600X (AMD) CPUs
With the 5600X stuck at about $299, and the 5800X just as low if you have a nearby Micro Center, the 5800X is a far better value. I bought mine at $370, which was about the same as a trip to my "closest" Micro Center would've cost me. I also had the advantage of having a compatible system to just drop it into and keep right on going.