New laptop, hate Microsoft

My laptop from 2016 is dying slowly, so it was time.

Now I'm finding my product key for Office from Windows 7 is no longer supported and all the new versions are online only.

Could I just copy my installation folders from my old computer onto the new one?

Barring that not working, is there any version of functioning Word that I can use offline? I keep my PC an island, only turning it from airplane mode to pay bills or update my website. My phone is for internet, computer is for working.

Copying the folders may bring the application and such, but unless you bring over the libraries and other support stuff (and know where to stash them), it may not function properly once you’re done.

if you are talking about bringing over the .MSI installation stuff, you would just be installing it from scratch, so it should work. Otherwise you might have to go with a substitute such as LibreOffice.

Or if you can find a stand-alone copy of Office 2010, 2013, or 2016, one of those should work.

—Patrick

Is Office 2007 recent enough for you?
It is, but when I tried to register it, the new computer said it was no longer supported, so my old discs are apparently garbage.
Post automatically merged:

Copying the folders may bring the application and such, but unless you bring over the libraries and other support stuff (and know where to stash them), it may not function properly once you’re done.

if you are talking about bringing over the .MSI installation stuff, you would just be installing it from scratch, so it should work. Otherwise you might have to go with a substitute such as LibreOffice.

Or if you can find a stand-alone copy of Office 2010, 2013, or 2016, one of those should work.

—Patrick
The struggle will be finding a legit seller then and keys I can get ASAP.

It is, but when I tried to register it, the new computer said it was no longer supported, so my old discs are apparently garbage.
I don’t know if a version that old even does online activation. If it doesn’t install, it might just be that the installer doesn’t work under a 64-bit OS (Even though the application itself might).

—Patrick

Last time i switched SSDs, i just cloned the drive outright.

But that was on PC, with both SSDs plugged-in, i don't know if it works the same between laptops.

Does anyone know if the new WinChromeEdge update KB4567409 does anything other than install WinChromeEdge? I want to install it to supplant IE, but I don't want to open myself up to an injection of a bunch of unnecessary telemetry, either.

--Patrick