North_Ranger

Dave

Staff member
This thread is for North_Ranger. (Please note the lack of tagging of the gent.)

Any negative comments will be put down ruthlessly.

Tell us what you think of the big guy and how much he means to you.

UPDATE (11/25/2013 @ 4:38 PM CST)

Donation buttons have been added to the top and in the sidebar. I'm trying to get them to go to the top but it's being difficult. Any donations go to @stienman and will show in your PayPal as going to MicroBasics (ubasics) so don't be alarmed. Also, the amount is not updating right away so if you give don't freak out when the number doesn't increment right away...like I did.

All money donated is going to be parsed out by Stienman for the best possible use of the money. Let's get as many people as we can to Turku, Finland!

UPDATE (11/25/2013 @ 5:07 PM CST)

Getting server errors for the Donation Manager thing. The donated amount is not incrementing as it should, but Stienman is getting the money as he's supposed to. I'm working with the dev to get this fixed.

Last edited:
I don't post often but last time I delurked, N_R was the only one to remember me. N_R always seemed to be one of the more reasonable Admins when he was able to hold the responsibility. I'm not sure when he first joined but I believe it was before my time, and I've been here for 8 years now. where can I donate?

edit:
Personally I've missed just "hearing" from him. He is one that I would like to hang with were I nearby. I don't drink but I'm sure we would enjoy a coffee together.

Last edited:
North Ranger is not only one of the best people on the board, but one of the guys on here that - if he were well enough and I was in Finland - would absolutely go out for beers and such. He's a passionate, helpful, warm, giving kind of guy. And the kind of guy that must have Viking blood in his system because he sure as hell wouldn't let some stupid cancer beat him. He has too much pillaging left in his future.

Once I start working, I'd like to give into the N_R fund. That might not be for a couple of weeks.

North Ranger was one of the first people to welcome me to the old forums. He's always had a kind word for a new face, and I'm not being melodramatic when I say he's easily one of the best of us.

I've contacted WasabiPoptart and let her know about this. I know she lurks every couple of months to see how NR is doing.

I don't even know where to start, I've been so insanely busy lately I haven't been on the forum much so it was a shock to get this news today. It's weird when someone you've never met is doing really poorly, I mean, we don't really "know" each other but yet he's been a part of my life, an online friend for man, how many years? 9? I don't even know. All I now is that hearing this news is tearing me up. I don't even know how to handle it, but all I can think about is conversations we had and jokes we made and all the pics of his smiling face, all decked out in his ren fest gear.

I'm praying him and his family because I honestly don't know what else to do other than be miserable.[DOUBLEPOST=1385417093,1385417047][/DOUBLEPOST]Also I would go visit him in a heartbeat if I had a way, but I don't know how on earth I could pull it off.

I'm able to donate money to someone's going, and also able, willing (and would love to!) go.

North_Ranger's a friend; as I see any one of you here as a friend. There is so much in the world that I do not know. There is a phenomenal amount knowledge, experience, wisdom, accident, wonder that I have met, and still somehow and inconceivably greater amount that I will never encounter. I try to humble myself with learning and re-learning, re-reading -and upon doing so, having a new or changed perception of the work- and ever in the back of mind recalling the Socratic convention, "All I know is that I know nothing..."

But there is something I refuse to doubt; one thing I believe in great and unstoppable conviction, which is that love is external to me, and bigger than me, and that relationships are meaningful in that love. And I have, upon personal experience, found that as Aurelius wrote, "Look within. Within is the fountain of the good, and it will ever bubble up, if thou wilt ever dig." For the sake of my friends, I try to ever dig, and ever provide this good, this loving experience, of sharing time and jokes, and tastes and arguments and quiet grins and rolled eyes.

North_Ranger has, whether he knows the extent of impact or not, been a reason to ever dig.

He brings levity, strangeness, wonderful openness, and character to our forum; and our lives. We are fortunate for his long company.

North Ranger has ever been one of my favorite people on this forum. His quirky sense of humor, friendliness and general good humor has been a source of amusement to me, whenever he's had some snarky comment to add.

This whole situation horrifies me with how it's gone. I loved it when we all came together at the beginning and got him the X-Box et al - it showed me just how tight-knit this community is.

If I were even REMOTELY able to go, I would go in a New York minute to stand by his side. Alas, money, passport and impending baby make it so this just isn't an option.

If I can shake even ten cents free from this holiday season, I will donate to the fund in a heartbeat. I truly hope that we can get a motivator from our group to do this.

... Just.... fuck. I'm with Dave on this one. FUCK.

Cajungal

Staff member
Love me some Northy. He's sweet, kind and funny. He was one of the first forumites who gave me a chuckle and made me decide to sign up on halfpixel. He also looks unbelievably adorable in suspenders.

North_Ranger has been someone on here who's always been willing to share about himself and stand up for others when needed. And throughout this whole ordeal he's been in, he's been one of the bravest people I've known.

Man I have no idea what to say, it feels like anything I do say won't even begin to touch on what I want to say/how I feel. All I do know is that North_Ranger has always been a cheerful and fun person to chat with and he has also seemed to me a person of great strength.

Zappit

Staff member
One of the most decent, down to earth folks I've never met in person. I've known Ranger since the PvP boards, and was one of the reasons I wanted to stick around. He's braver than most, and a damn fun guy.

N_R is one of the handful of people on here that I have wished I could meet in real life. He has always been one of my favorite posters. He's got a great sense of humor and isn't afraid to tell someone they are absolutely wrong. When he found out about the cancer, he kept his chin up even when things were tough. He planned to live his life rather than to dwell on the end of it. It really said something about his character, imo.
Like Krisken said, I have been lurking on N_R's thread for a few months now just to see how he's been doing. I wish I was able to go to Finland because I would be on a plane asap if I could. How long will you be taking donations?

Dave

Staff member
N_R is one of the handful of people on here that I have wished I could meet in real life. He has always been one of my favorite posters. He's got a great sense of humor and isn't afraid to tell someone they are absolutely wrong. When he found out about the cancer, he kept his chin up even when things were tough. He planned to live his life rather than to dwell on the end of it. It really said something about his character, imo.

Like Krisken said, I have been lurking on N_R's thread for a few months now just to see how he's been doing. I wish I was able to go to Finland because I would be on a plane asap if I could. How long will you be taking donations?
As long as it takes to get someone there for him.

B

BErt

It sounds silly, but being included in North_Ranger's sketch of everyone's avatars way back was what first made me feel like part of the forum. He's a really funny and open guy, and he's always one of the first handful of names in mind when I think of this place. I'll give what I can as soon as I can.

This is going to sound really silly, but when I joined the forums years and years back, I was just coming back from spending my real formative years of high school in Europe, and somehow I found myself really, really out of step with everyone else but also weirdly not "foreign" enough to fit in with the actual foreign students.

N_R was one of the folks who welcomed me to the PVP forums, and almost immediately we found ourselves in common cause during one of GB's original political threads. Just knowing that there were people with at least some shared experiences who also reveled in geekery was extremely comforting to me at a time when I was feeling very homesick.

N_R (among many others I eventually met here) is one of the main reasons I stuck around.

An addendum to what I said before, and bouncing off everyone else:

I equate North Ranger to Martian Manhunter. He's the glue that keeps everything together. :)

I don't have a bad word to say about North Ranger, and I doubt anyone here ever will. He's a genuinely nice guy, he's intelligent, funny, and rational. He can bring down the mod hammer when he (rarely) needs to, but he's also part of so many antics.

One of my favorite antics was when he and Calleja had a rumble-and-tumble fight through a whole bunch of threads in the PvP forums. That was awesome. :D

I see North Ranger participate widely across these forums. And the thing that I always take from it is that he's always in a good mood. Always has something constructive to say. Always thinking positively. The man does not have a cruel bone in his body. And he certainly never ever ever comes across as someone else would in the same situation.
We love you, NR

I'll freely admit that my interactivity with NR hasn't been a whole lot over the years and honestly I don't know why. Mostly because, I guess, we didn't have similar interests nor did he annoy me to get my ire. I've seen his posts over the years and felt a certain level of respect for him as a person and have nothing negative to say about him.

I'm sorry for see that things aren't panning out and I'd be happy to help what I can. Obviously, I don't live in Europe.

This is a sad day for Halforums a day where we all collectively need to pull for an old friend in his time in need.

I can't do much but echo what's already been said.

I just wish there was a way to let previously active members who have dropped off for one reason or another know what's going on.

GasBandit

Staff member
My first memorable interaction with North Ranger was him sending me a private message all those years ago because I was nasty to him (shock and surprise, I know) in a thread, and he wanted to see if he had inadvertently offended me about something. We spent many of the subsequent years locking horns, and I think he even put me on ignore at some point. Obviously that had to end when he became a mod, but aside from a few hot buttons I naturally couldn't stop jamming my finger on at every opportunity, at all times before-and-after his elevation, North_Ranger has been friendly, and cheerful, and polite, and professional. It's no wonder we got off on such a wrong foot. I was, and largely am still, a colossal jerk and asshole - though Villain Decay gets us all at some point and I think I've not been an exception. But over the years, NR's inner light has not diminished a single lumen, and we even have civil conversations. Heck, he even has put positive ratings on my posts (and not just the funny picture ones). This guy. Very high road. Such classy. Wow.

I have to admit, @GasBandit, that I don't think you're nearly as much an asshole as your younger days. I'd never heard the term Villain Decay before, but I think it applies to you.

Of course, I tend to steer clear of the political threads, so I could be completely wrong. :p

GasBandit

Staff member
I have to admit, @GasBandit, that I don't think you're nearly as much an asshole as your younger days. I'd never heard the term Villain Decay before, but I think it applies to you.

Of course, I tend to steer clear of the political threads, so I could be completely wrong. :p
Villain Decay is what happened to The Shredder from the first couple episodes of the 80's TMNT to - well, what he eventually became. I hesitate to continue to talk about myself in the N_R thread, but I know I've mellowed. I blame a combination of aging, switching to decaf, not having as much free time to post/argue as long as I want, and the love of a good woman.

I'm not good at these sorts of things, but I'll try.

My life is certainly richer for HF having been in it. In no small part thanks to N_R. I've lost count how many times his contributions here and there have dragged me out of the dumps with a fit of giggles. :)

He's why I keep this picture at the ready...

My heart and my thoughts go out to N_R. His wit, his fire, his passion, his pride I always liked in his posts. All these also were what made him heimself.
I admired him for his brilliant grasp of english, so much more even because his native language is utterly different from it; and also because he could put more thoughtful words and his great sense of humor down perfectly in a strange language much better than I can in my own native tongue.

He's a great person, I'm honoured to 'know' him and I wish I could travel up north, but unfortunately that's not possible.

Come friday a donation will be sent!

I don't post a ton. I come here in an ebb and flow of life. It feels like the Image forum has been whittled down to just a hand full. We've also added a few in that time. I feel oddly close to those that remain (even to some who have left), despite language, cultural, and political differences.

I don't remember when I first encountered North_Ranger. His moniker is as old to me as Edrondol, GasBandit, that smoking baby, JCM and so many others. I admire his positive outlook. I've enjoyed his, for lack of a better word, spirit on these boards. I've felt that if I was in Finland, he'd gladly open his home to any of us. I consider him a friend whether he knows it or not. He's been on my mind a lot lately. I feel odd sometimes that I feel so much about a guy that I have never met in person, but I feel like I know so much about him through this site. I hope and wish the best for him and his family.

North_Ranger, some guy in Oklahoma has cried and prayed for you and really does care about you.

I want to be encouraging and uplifting, but I just feel sad all the time now. Sad about everything and everyone that has had a raw deal in life.

But North_Ranger? He's not sad, he keeps a positive outlook on everything. Hang in there, buddy, Burlew's got some story left to tell!

I'll freely admit that my interactivity with NR hasn't been a whole lot over the years and honestly I don't know why. Mostly because, I guess, we didn't have similar interests nor did he annoy me to get my ire. I've seen his posts over the years and felt a certain level of respect for him as a person and have nothing negative to say about him.
It's almost like you wrote what I was thinking.

Finances are tight, passport has expired, hate TSA. That said, I will still chip in what I can so that our duly elected representative may carry our message.

--Patrick

North_Ranger, I've always admired you - your humour, your intelligence, your strength, your dignity. You're a gentleman and a gentle man and we are blessed to know you.

I'm not sure exactly when I first knew North Ranger either, but it was during the Image days. I always thought he was a nice, funny, guy. A few years ago I was going through a very rough time in my personal life, and he was always there to cheer me up. Now he's in a bad spot so I'll make a donation soon.