Obama bought my car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took advantage of the clunker buyback program the Fed's are running and saddled myself with debt by buying a new car. I received good discounts/rebates and the Fed's kicked in 2k more than my car's trade in value.

So I've gone from a 11 yo Grand Marquis to a Chevy HHR.

The thing that makes me the most sad about getting the Federal funds is that the car HAS to be scrapped. It is sad because it is a pretty cherry car, but it just does not have good Blue Book value. It would be a good car to sell, because with some maintenance it would make a great car for folks that are struggling more than I am. But I like having that extra $2k to use on the down payment.

P

Pojodan

The car I basically grew up in, an 85' Jeep Cherokee, is valid for this program and I've been kicking around ideas with my parents on how to take advantage of it.

Unfortunately they're working on selling one of their cars so they can retire, my car is serving me well, and my sister can't really afford a car payment at this time.

I'm still fantasizing about rebuilding that Jeep into an offroad crawler, but 4k off a new car is pretty sexy.

A

Alex B.

It makes me wish my '85 RX-7 had lasted me another year or so, it would have helped with the car we had to buy to replace it.

I loved that car. :tear:

One reason to scrap the car, though, is to get a gas guzzler off the road and replace it with a more efficient vehicle.

While it makes sense to keep the car alive and useful for those in poor economic circumstances, it isn't a bad thing to raise the national MPG average.

-Adam

I have an '87 Corolla that gets passed around family members having car trouble. Hopefully it will last till I need another vehicle.

C

Chibibar

Texas has a program that you can trade in 10+year old car (or certain car that has poor gas mileage) and get 3000$ check (3500$ if you buying a hybrid) I did that with my pathfinder (99, over 205k miles) downside you have to earn less than X dollars per year after taxes.

My dad wanted to get rid of his old 72 chevy farm truck and get a little car to drive to town and back, but it's too old to qualify. Guess they don't want to get rid of vehicles that get 8 mpg.

I guess, I got that tax return that I've not qualified for in the last 5 years. I pay my taxes close to the vest and get back about $30 a year.

C

Chazwozel

Pojodan said:
The car I basically grew up in, an 85' Jeep Cherokee, is valid for this program and I've been kicking around ideas with my parents on how to take advantage of it.

Unfortunately they're working on selling one of their cars so they can retire, my car is serving me well, and my sister can't really afford a car payment at this time.

I'm still fantasizing about rebuilding that Jeep into an offroad crawler, but 4k off a new car is pretty sexy.

85 Cherokees suck anyway. Mid 90's ones (especially 97-99) kick total ass.

Status
Not open for further replies.