[NHL] Off Season- draft, trades, rumours, withdrawl support

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought the LA Kings championship hat at the WTC memorial was too fitting an image to end the 2011-2012 season thread on, but wanted to discuss this:
http://www.deadline.com/2012/06/rob...hockey-team-for-feature-broad-street-bullies/
EXCLUSIVE: Rob Zombie will write, direct and produce Broad Street Bullies, a film about the Philadelphia Flyers hockey team that evolved from a cellar-dwelling expansion team into a team that racked up victories and penalty minutes in equal measure during the 1970s.
Glad hockey movies are getting made again, but between this year's Goon, the upcoming "Broad Street Bullies", and Kevin Smith's "Hit Somebody", I feel like... somebody should be focusing on the skilled players, not just the violence of the sport. It's such a great game and it already has such a poor representation.
Why not a film about the Miracle on Ice, or the Montreal Canadians vs Soviets game? Or the 1972 Summit Series, or a biopic on Rocket Richard, Gordie Howe, Eddie Shore, or Bobby Orr?
There's so much more material available.

Plus.... Philly.

There already is a Bullies movie, from HBO in 2010. Good watch. One of the basic undeniable facts to the movie is that they never would have won the cup if they were not good players at the core.

It had a theatrical run. I think it was made on art grants from Quebec though.
Yeah, I looked into it a bit.
Fairly decent reviews too. 7.6 at imdb. Not bad.... I might have to check that one out.

Also, draft.

I completely forgot about it, so I missed it all.
Looks like Leafs and Canucks are definitely trying to cook up a deal, I wonder what Vancouver wants for Luongo. What have the Leafs got that Vancouver could use to build on?

Yeah, I looked into it a bit.
Fairly decent reviews too. 7.6 at imdb. Not bad.... I might have to check that one out.

Also, draft.

I completely forgot about it, so I missed it all.
Looks like Leafs and Canucks are definitely trying to cook up a deal, I wonder what Vancouver wants for Luongo. What have the Leafs got that Vancouver could use to build on?
Yeah I would recommend it. Sean Avery's in it and I'm pretty sure he gets a rich pummeling at some point. I heard Burke offered Schenn but Gillis was like naw way.

edit: spidermanned

TML was in on the Staal trade but realized it would only ever be for a season before Jordan went to join Eric so the price was foolish to pay. They were heavy into Luongo, but Vancouver is asking way too much. Sticking with Reimer/Scrivens now.

Joy.

According to all the Leaf fans I've seen talking about it, "too much" means "anything more than a terrible salary that Toronto wants to get rid of." Luongo's a top-10 goalie with a slightly overpriced contract - he's not getting traded for nothing.

According to all the Leaf fans I've seen talking about it, "too much" means "anything more than a terrible salary that Toronto wants to get rid of." Luongo's a top-10 goalie with a slightly overpriced contract - he's not getting traded for nothing.
Thank you.

Until Schneider signs an extension, the price for Luongo has been too high for every team. They need Lou as a bargaining chip against Schneider.

I myself don't see any way Toronto will swing Luongo.

I'm happy with Scrivens for now, and would like to see if they could get a bag of pucks for Komisarek.

Maybe I don't watch the two enough of them but I think the Flyers got fleeced. Schenn had a good rookie year, but I was under the impression that he's dropped off a lot.

Wilson made him play offensive defencemen like Karlson and berated him for failing at it continually. Schenn is a stay at home kill you if you cross the blueline defencemen, nice fit for the Flyers.

Cross your fingers, gentlemen. Negotiations begin this week.
CHICAGO -- The head of the NHL players' union says negotiations on a new collective bargaining agreement will begin "very quickly" -- perhaps as early as this week.
New NHL Players Association executive director Donald Fehr was in Chicago for meetings. He says negotiations will begin after Wednesday's meeting of the NHLPA's executive board.
Fehr was asked if a work stoppage was inevitable. He said nothing like that was coming from the union.
The NHL cancelled the 2004-05 season before a labour deal was reached that included a salary cap for the first time. That agreement expires on Sept. 15.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=399221

Word is Phoenix may want to move Shane Doan when he becomes UFA, but Doan would rather stay. Will be interesting to see where he ends up. Some seem to be saying Winnipeg, but I don't know if any teams have been courting him just yet.

It's rare to see honest emotions on news broadcasters, but every single one I have seen when they show this clip cannot hide their disgust. Because it's disgusting.

Apparently charges are expected to be laid and I hope this freak never gets to participate in the sport in any fashion ever again.

That's nuts.

That guy has a serious health issue that one hit can take him out for the rest of his career.

They WILL be on the books for the remainder of the contract.

First, I think that "one hit can take him out for the rest of his career" applies to every NHL player, concussion history or not. It's more likely to be worse if they've had them before, but every player's at risk, and that's why the contracts are insured. It's obviously a risk to give him that long of a contract, but I'm pretty sure that - because of his age - if he does retire his cap hit comes off. He still gets paid, but it doesn't take cap space.

Also, pretty big discount for the best player in the world, I think.

I don't think you fully understand how concussions work and what happens to a human being after they have been concussed to this degree. Kindly remember that he wasn't able to play hockey for a year's time. For a player to be out SO long, which included the entire off season is worrisome to say the least.

When he came back, his body was ready and he dominated.... until Kreichi took him out. It didn't look like a big hit neither.

There are different level of concussions, some take only a few days to get over, some weeks.... when you're not playing for a year and get concussed weeks after you get back... something is up.

Cap wise.... the contact is excellent... but damn I hope he doesn't have to retire in the next year or two.... concussions come easier after the first big one... and that's a fact.

I think I actually acknowledged that in my post! It doesn't change the fact that any player could be permanently injured/disabled/killed by a bad hit in any game, past history or no.

Here's everything that happened yesterday:
  • Boston Bruins re-sign goaltender Tuukka Rask to a 1 year, $3.5M contract.
  • Calgary Flames forward Olli Jokinen is heading to free agency and will be an unrestricted free agent on July 1st.
  • Carolina Hurricanes back up goaltender Brian Boucher has suffered a shoulder injury and is expected to miss 4-6 months.
  • Columbus Blue Jackets have re-signed defenseman Nikita Nikitin to a 2yr/$4.3M ($2.15M cap hit) contract extension.
  • Los Angeles Kings agree to terms with Conn Smythe Jonathan Quick on a 10-year contract extension earning him an average of $5.8M/year.
  • Minnesota Wild forward Guillaume Latendresse is also set to test free agency.
  • Nashville Predators resign D Hal Gill to a 2yr/$4 mil contract.
  • New Jersey Devils player Patrik Elias has found the puck from Game 6 in his equipment back and will return it to the Kings.
  • Philadelphia Flyers defenseman Luke Schenn will wear #22.
  • Pittsburgh Penguins sign captain Sidney Crosby to a 12 year, $104.4M contract extension.
  • St. Louis Blues re-sign Scott Nichol to a one year contact.
  • Tampa Bay Lightning re-sign defenseman Brian Lee to a 2 year contract.
  • Vancouver Canucks sign Corey Schneider to a 3 year/$12M contract.

EDIT: Also the AHL is going to try out a revised no-touch icing rule at the request of the NHL
    SPRINGFIELD -- The American Hockey League will test a version of no-touch icing to start the 2012 regular season.
    In the event of a potential icing violation, the play will be blown dead if a defending player is the first to reach the end zone face-off dots, provided the puck has crossed the goal-line at that point.
    The test of the rule is at the request of the NHL and will be in effect until Nov. 19, 2012, at which time its continued use will be determined by the AHL's board of governors, the league announced Thursday.
    The AHL also adopted two recent rule changes made in the NHL.
    A player who "places his hand over the puck while it is on the ice in order to conceal it from or prevent an opponent from playing the puck" will be assessed a minor penalty.
    Meanwhile, players who use their hands to bat the puck in an attempt to win a faceoff will also be assessed a two-minute infraction.
    http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=399480

Status
Not open for further replies.