[PC Game] Overwatch

So watching the BlizzCon feed. After 17 years, Blizzard is finally making a new universe game. The game is called Overwatch, and it's basically 6v6 TF2 with a heavy science fiction, hero and villain edge. It has the staples of the game, soldiers, medics, engineers, snipers, etc... but all seem to have a spin on them. For instance, you can choose Widowmaker, a very "Ghost" inspired villain sniper, or Hanzo, a bow and arrow wielding hero sniper. Will post videos once they reach online.

Website is up.

Last edited:

Dave

Staff member
I love the way the security guard wasn't watching because he was playing Hearthstone.

Here is the gameplay trailer.

They have three turret characters. One that can place them on walls and doorways, one that builds the more classic one, and one that just morphs into a turret himself. When this comes out I am so going to be Bastian.

Last edited:

Dave

Staff member
All I can say is it better be good. A pay game is going to have a lot of competition with TF2, a free game.

Unless they go the freemium route with micropay.

I don't think they are going to gravitate from the TF2 model, as it's worked very for Valve and continues to work well for Blizzard with Hearthstone (and next year, HOTS). Expect it to become freemium with various outfits and other crazy things.

P.S. During the panel they mentioned that the 12 we see right now are "not the end" of the characters that will be joining the roster. Looks like we are going to have a lot of heroes similar to HOTS.

Last edited:
Looks good! I want this.[DOUBLEPOST=1415412429,1415412136][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, is it just me, or does the Overwatch trailer seem like Blizzard is borrowing from Pixar's animation style?

Looks good! I want this.[DOUBLEPOST=1415412429,1415412136][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, is it just me, or does the Overwatch trailer seem like Blizzard is borrowing from Pixar's animation style?
Pixar? I think it's borrowing a lot from Disney in general. I was laughing with a friend earlier how ironic it was that this was announced on the same day Big Hero 6 came out. Both involve odd quasi-futures, both involve people becoming heroes with advanced technology, both involve robots, the teenager that helps out in the trailer reminds me of Hiro with his kind of longer, messy hair, and even Reaper reminded me a ton of the villain teased in the BH6 trailer, replacing nanites with smoke.

Bastion is a dead ringer for a Tau XV-whatever battlesuit from Warhammer 40K, so nice to see Blizzard sticking to their roots there.

Reinhardt looks like the class for me. He looks like a blast to play.

Blizzard: Borrowing the cool shit from Games Workshop, but making it fun and easy to actually play

Looks interesting, actually. I was afraid it'd be a TF2 clone, but it looks like each class gets enough unique stuff to make it completely different from TF2.

Looks interesting, actually. I was afraid it'd be a TF2 clone, but it looks like each class gets enough unique stuff to make it completely different from TF2.
Yes at first I figured it was going to be just TF2 where each "class" was just a mirror from the hero style characters and the villain style characters, but in truth each is very unique from every other. Even classes that share similar roles do them in entirely different ways. For those that missed it, they had a recorded match between two teams in the London map, at it was interesting seeing both sides attempt completely different strategies to take out the other, since neither side had a matching hero.

P.S One thing they said was they were doing is in-match hero switching. If you are in a match and you find the character you are playing does not have the power to overtake the enemies skill set, once you die you can pick another hero to come back as before respawning, rather then locking you in till the game is over.

Last edited:
Yes at first I figured it was going to be just TF2 where each "class" was just a mirror from the hero style characters and the villain style characters, but in truth each is very unique from every other. Even classes that share similar roles do them in entirely different ways. For those that missed it, they had a recorded match between two teams in the London map, at it was interesting seeing both sides attempt completely different strategies to take out the other, since neither side had a matching hero.

P.S One thing they said was they were doing is in-match hero switching. If you are in a match and you find the character you are playing does not have the power to overtake the enemies skill set, once you die you can pick another hero to come back as before respawning, rather then locking you in till the game is over.
I thought Heroes of the Storm was a terrible idea. I mean, there's enough dota clones, and I was expecting exactly that. They actually made a game that's unique and different from the other mobas, and is surprisingly fun.

Looks like they're doing the same thing with TF2.

Apparently, Overwatch was pulled from the corpse of Project Titan. I'm looking forward to seeing what a new "post corporate" Blizzard IP will look like.

Apparently, Overwatch was pulled from the corpse of Project Titan. I'm looking forward to seeing what a new "post corporate" Blizzard IP will look like.
The story goes that Project Titan was a destiny style MMOFPS. We would make our own characters and many of the characters in Overwatch were NPCs involved in the whole thing. In the cinematic, Tracer hints that the world could always use more heroes to the teen kid, implying newcomvers to the whole thing and really setting up the MMO part of the original design. It was to have a battleground system similar to what we see in Overwatch.

When they decided Project Titan was not living up to what it was supposed to be, they took the favorite NPC ideas and the battleground system, and just condensed it down into a team-based FPS. It's why the game has so much lore written for it that really does not fit a game of this type. I was supposed to be much grander.

In the end it's all rumor though.