Parents of Halforums Part Deux

Alright, let me have it.

My daughter is 21 months, we'd like to start training her over the summer. I heard it's easier to potty train during the summer, makes sense.

Advice and things you got for your little loved ones to learn to potty.

We're looking at :

Amazon product

Amazon product

Tips!

And Amazon links aren't workings, thanks @Dave

Last edited:
Neither of my kids liked using a potty, they preferred having a potty seat set on the big toilet. They were also stubborn pains in the ass about potty training though. ;) My son has autism, and I really didn't get him fully potty trained until right before Kindergarden. My daughter didn't see the point of using the potty until she went to pre-school and saw other kids her age using the potty too. Just expect that just because you want to potty train in the summer doesn't mean your daughter will agree, and you'll do ok.

(Also, I just see a blank spot where the amazon links should be)

Amazon links are probably being treated like ads and blocked.

I got nothing for you. We had a fits-on-the-big-potty-and-has-steps seat that we would swap on and off the toilet whenever he needed to go. It was a little bit of a pain to do so and took a moment, and there eventually came a day where his need was so urgent that he couldn't wait for us to get it hooked up so he just hopped on the normal toilet and never went back.

--Patrick

We've been at it for a month now, with some decent success. (He wears regular undies all day and a pull up at night just in case). We also use that exact potty you linked to. We waited until Li'l Z was able to 1)dress and undress himself easily, 2) had big gaps in between wet diapers (and he woke up dry most nights. We also stared the mental process once he started walking. We left the potty in the bathroom and would let him sit on it for over a year before we took away his diapers. He knew the process from watching and imitating us.
We waited until we had no vacations or people visiting and spent a few days going through the process with his diapers still on. If he went in his diaper, I'd have him sit on the potty and we'd change it in the bathroom and treat it like if he had pottied. Then I covered our living room in tarp, let him walk around with no pants or diaper, and got him used to "listening to his body cues". There were accidents, but, tarp. After he showed he was more conscious of the process, we moved the potty into the bathroom And it's stayed there.

If she is ready and willing...
Praise! Praise! Praise! Pretend no one on the planet has ever peed or had a bowel movement in a toilet ever before this moment.
Make sure her daycare center (if she is in daycare) is willing to help with training. Consistency is very important. It can be confusing if she wears diapers at daycare, but you are telling her to use the potty at home.
Also do not let this be a power struggle. If she resists potty training or has frequent accidents even after a period of success, then let it go for a week or two. Start over. As someone once told me when I was having trouble with Lily having no interest in the potty, "You don't see college students walking around in diapers."

fade

Staff member
We just used the normal toilet seat. No potty. Honestly of all the parenting things we had to go through, it was probably the easiest. They picked it up quickly with just normal redirection and some praise. They say girls are easier than boys, and that certainly held true in our case. My daughter never even really had an accident. She was wham, bam, thank you ma'am.

Cajungal

Staff member
My nieces were the same, especially the younger one. She started asking when she was almost 2 to "sit on a potty" and she's had very few accidents since then. Maybe 2.

They say girls are easier than boys, and that certainly held true in our case. My daughter never even really had an accident. She was wham, bam, thank you ma'am.
I wish it had been true for us. I had also heard the younger child would be easier to train because they want to be like the older sibling. Nope. Nope. Nope. Noah was so easy. Give him a book and he'd happily sit there until he went. Put him in underwear with hardly a problem. Lily was obstinate. We finally bribed her with party favor jewelry and tiny bottles of Hello Kitty nail polish.

First one took lots of praise and hard work. We vertical strip of bristol board in the bathroom and she got a sticker for every time she got it right, and was pronounced proficient when she got to the top.

Our youngest just went, if she can do it, I'm doing it and that was that.

Alright, let me have it.

My daughter is 21 months, we'd like to start training her over the summer. I heard it's easier to potty train during the summer, makes sense.

Advice and things you got for your little loved ones to learn to potty.

We're looking at :

Amazon product

Amazon product

Tips!

And Amazon links aren't workings, thanks @Dave
Crimsons and my daughter was nearly five when she went Thanksgiving weekend with Crimsons mom to Missouri and when she came back she was 100% potty trained. Idk how she did it.

Our middle son was 3 when he potty trained at a mommy day out/daycare because he wanted to be like all the other kids there and be a big kid.

Our youngest was 4 and was the easiest to potty train in a sense. We ran out of dipes and he had no idea where we kept them. Brought us underwear and said that he guessed he had to wear those. Was completely potty trained, night and day. If only we had known running out of dipes was the key to potty training him. Lol

Its the I wish I knew then what I know now concept. :) sometimes it's best to. Let a child potty train on their own time. They only really need to be trained when or if intending to send to pre-k otherwise you have until kindergarten starts. Good luck!?!?

My friend told me when her younger brother was two, their mother started to notice every time she checked his diaper, it was always dry. This was going on for a while and she started to get worried until one time she caught him changing his own diaper. Extra impressive because they was using the cloth-and-pin type, not Pampers. At that point, their mom figured they should just let him go on the potty. To my understanding, he was the easiest to potty train out of all four kids.

First one took lots of praise and hard work. We vertical strip of bristol board in the bathroom and she got a sticker for every time she got it right, and was pronounced proficient when she got to the top.

Our youngest just went, if she can do it, I'm doing it and that was that.
This sounds like my current neighbor. They have a 3 year old and a 1 1/2 year old. The 3 year old was potty trained by this past fall. He had a sticker chart, his own underwear, etc. Took him a little while, but he is now 100% trained. The baby has decided he needs to be like his big brother and already tells his parents when he needs to go. If he could speak a bit more clearly (it's hard to tell if he is saying potty or doggy, peepee or baby) I think they would take him out of diapers already.