[Comics] Perfectly Casted Characters

Status
Not open for further replies.

BananaHands

Staff member
Okay HalForums, I've seen threads like this all over the place, but I want to know what you guys think.

Since the explosion of all these comic book films, which characters do you think had the best casting?

I'll go with the obvious:

J.K. Simmons. Here's hoping he's J. Jonah in ASM2.

Equally obvious (IMO anyway): RDJ as Tony Stark, Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury (Ultimates version), and Patrick Stewart as Prof X.

And whatever issues the FF movies had, Chris Evans as Johnny Storm and Michael Chiklis as the Thing were great matches.

... Chris Evans as Johnny Storm ... were great matches.
[DOUBLEPOST=1368461116][/DOUBLEPOST]Christopher Reeves as Clark Kent/Superman.

Most the Marvel Studio's casting choices have been dead on, and when they haven't been, the actors/actresses do such a solid job with the role it's a non-issue.

The all time great: Christopher Reeve as Superman. There has never been a better Clark Kent AND Superman played since.
Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool, hopefully they'll let him talk this time.
James Marsden as Cyclops, seriously underated for the fantastic job he did bringing that character to life.
Chris Evans is the all American man, so his Captain America was dead on.
Michael Clark Duncan as Kingpin. When I heard the casting, I was up in arms. In the end, he was the ONLY good thing about that movie.
Same for Heath Ledger's Joker. So many people say that he only got so much hype because he died. I say he's the only one who's ever gotten Joker right on the screen.

Now for some dislikes:
I actually disagree with the choice of Thor. He didn't make me feel like he was a Norse God AT ALL. More like a Norse Teenager with some powers.
As much as I love Ian McKellan as an actor, I actually feel he didn't embody Magneto AT ALL despite people constantly saying he was great.
The entire cast of Daredevil with exception above.
Christian Bale as Batman. Those films did well DESPITE him, not BECAUSE of him. He didn't pull off a convincing Batman OR Bruce Wayne.

BananaHands

Staff member
The all time great: Christopher Reeve as Superman. There has never been a better Clark Kent AND Superman played since.
Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool, hopefully they'll let him talk this time.
James Marsden as Cyclops, seriously underated for the fantastic job he did bringing that character to life.
Chris Evans is the all American man, so his Captain America was dead on.
Michael Clark Duncan as Kingpin. When I heard the casting, I was up in arms. In the end, he was the ONLY good thing about that movie.
Same for Heath Ledger's Joker. So many people say that he only got so much hype because he died. I say he's the only one who's ever gotten Joker right on the screen.

Now for some dislikes:
I actually disagree with the choice of Thor. He didn't make me feel like he was a Norse God AT ALL. More like a Norse Teenager with some powers.
As much as I love Ian McKellan as an actor, I actually feel he didn't embody Magneto AT ALL despite people constantly saying he was great.
The entire cast of Daredevil with exception above.
Christian Bale as Batman. Those films did well DESPITE him, not BECAUSE of him. He didn't pull off a convincing Batman OR Bruce Wayne.
MCD was a wonderful Kingpin, such a shame that we'll never get to see that again and it was in such a terribly done film.

James Marsden though? I mean, I think I just have a bad taste in my mouth from how poorly written his character was.

Oooh! Oooh!

Ron Perlman was great as Hellboy. I really hope they make him Thanos.

I really wish Chiklis could come back as The Thing. He was awesome. Also agreed on MCD as Kingpin, but disagree that the movie is that bad. Especially the Director's Cut, which is much better. I've said that dozens of times already on here, though.

A few of mine:

-ALL of the evil exes in Scott Pilgrim were perfect. In fact, everyone except Michael Cera were perfectly cast. Cera did a good enough job, but he was a very different Pilgrim from the comics.
-I'm surprised no one's mentioned Hugh Jackman as Wolverine. He looks and acts the part.
-Brandon Routh as Superman. Say what you will about Superman Returns, but he actually did a pretty outstanding job in the role for what he was given.
-Jackie Earle Haley as Rorschach in Watchmen. I might have personally disliked the film, but at least Rorschach was totally spot on from beginning to end.
-Alfred Molina as Doc Ock in Spider-Man 2. Nuff said.

And a few not so good:
-Pretty much the rest of the casting for Watchmen, especially Malin Akerman as Silk Spectre II.
-Ryan Reynolds as Green Lantern. He should've stuck with Deadpool and got that movie made.
-Jessica Alba as the Invisible Woman and Julian McMahon as Doctor Doom in the Fantastic Four movies. McMahon just wasn't the right actor for such a bombastic character and Alba was just wrong on every level.

BananaHands - Nothing saying about the script, Marsden made a fantastic Cyclops. Arrogant, but caring of those in his care. A leader who had confidence on the outside but could tell his insecurities ran deep.

ThatNickGuy - Triple yes on Rorschach. He made that movie.

On the subject of terrible casting, how about Halle Berry as Storm?
All the -Let's cast a pretty face instead of someone who would get the character and do a good job-
Halle Berry as Catwoman, as Storm.
Jessica Alba as Sue Summers.
January Jones as Emma Frost.

Another note of bad casting:
The entire cast of Batman Forever. Even though Carrey was FUNNY, he was no Edward Nigma.

All the -Let's cast a pretty face instead of someone who would get the character and do a good job-
Halle Berry as Catwoman, as Storm.
Jessica Alba as Sue Summers.
January Jones as Emma Frost.

Another note of bad casting:
The entire cast of Batman Forever. Even though Carrey was FUNNY, he was no Edward Nigma.
You know, in regards to Jim Carrey, I think given a better script and a better director, he could make an excellent Riddler. Unfortunately, he was typecast for his Ace Ventura personality in green spandex.

Ian McKellen may have not worked out so much as Magneto, but he and Christopher Lee were perfect castings for Gandalf and Saruman, respectively.[DOUBLEPOST=1368468233][/DOUBLEPOST]
He was only bad because he was playing Hal. He would have made a good Kyle Raynor.

On the subject of terrible casting, how about Halle Berry as Storm?
Halle Berry made a bad Storm, and a worse Catwoman.

I disagree. I think they were trying for a Frank Gorshin version of The Riddler, which works if you look at it from that point of view. Chris O'Donnell, I'll grant you. He was annoying.

I also think Val Kilmer had one of the better balances between both Batman and Bruce Wayne. He wasn't great at either compared to others, but in terms of a being good on both ends instead of strong on one, I thought he was okay. You look at the others that have played Batman and they're great at one half and not so great at the other. Michael Keaton was a GREAT Batman, but not a very good Bruce Wayne. Bale was a great Bruce Wayne but not a very good Batman, most of which for that fucking gravely voice, which is fine in short one-liners ("SWEAR TO ME!") but terrible for long speeches like talking with the Joker. And honestly, as bad as Clooney was a Batman, I thought he was fantastic as Bruce Wayne.

Ian McKellen may have not worked out so much as Magneto, but he and Christopher Lee were perfect castings for Gandalf and Saruman, respectively.[DOUBLEPOST=1368468233][/DOUBLEPOST]
Halle Berry made a bad Storm, and a worse Catwoman.

I didn't think Catwoman needed to be mentioned, because everything about that movie was awful. I don't even fault Berry for that one, it was doomed from the start and she was contractually obligated. I liked that she accepted her raspberry award in person.[DOUBLEPOST=1368468458][/DOUBLEPOST]
Bale was a great Bruce Wayne but not a very good Batman, most of which for that fucking gravely voice
His voice was fine, as heard in Batman Begins. It was the second two where the studio decided to alter his voice to be deeper in post that made it sound ridiculous.

Ian McKellen may have not worked out so much as Magneto, but he and Christopher Lee were perfect castings for Gandalf and Saruman, respectively.
Truth.

I disagree. I think they were trying for a Frank Gorshin version of The Riddler, which works if you look at it from that point of view.
That's fine and all, but that's not the point of view most people who go in expecting AND I'm sure that wasn't what the director was going for anyway.

I didn't think Catwoman needed to be mentioned, because everything about that movie was awful. I don't even fault Berry for that one
I think we're straying from the topic though, it's about who's perfectly cast and embodies the character well. She really didn't.

One other casting I consider poor that many like: Jack Nicholson as the Joker.
Definitely. Love Jack, but that wasn't a Joker.

BananaHands

Staff member
Some Good -

Some meh:

Some bads (IMO):

Special Mention (AKA, not super heroes but comic based and best casted film of all time):

Willem Dafoe was great as Norman Osborne But good god I hated him as Green Goblin. I can't decide if it was his fault or the Power Ranger quality costume, but either way, it was impossible to take him seriously.

BananaHands

Staff member
Willem Dafoe was great as Norman Osborne But good god I hated him as Green Goblin. I can't decide if it was his fault or the Power Ranger quality costume, but either way, it was impossible to take him seriously.
Agreed on the power ranger costume, his voice as the Goblin was amazing though. They should have went with this costume:

I'm going against the grain here. While I thought the character was great and the acting was great, I never really saw him as Loki. There was WAY too much direct involvement. I don't think I've liked anything of the Thor films so far sadly.

BananaHands

Staff member
I'm going against the grain here. While I thought the character was great and the acting was great, I never really saw him as Loki. There was WAY too much direct involvement. I don't think I've liked anything of the Thor films so far sadly.
I'm torn on him. I thought he did a wonderful job, but he was too baby-faced pretty for me (Thor too).

Now this motherfucker as Loki? Would have been great.

But alas, I wouldn't have been such a successful film without the eye candy.

I agree with a lot of the castings in this thread.

When it comes to non comics, I think that, for the most part, the Harry Potter series were pretty spot on.

I'm likely alone in this, but I wish that the Lord of the Rings movies hired actual little people (midget? dwarf? I don't know what the correct term is these days) for the hobbit roles. I mean, you've got great actors out there like Peter Dinklage and Warwick Davis. Not to mention the money they could've saved instead of having to come up with complicated shots and special effects in order to use regular sized actors.

I'm likely alone in this, but I wish that the Lord of the Rings movies hired actual little people (midget? dwarf? I don't know what the correct term is these days) for the hobbit roles. I mean, you've got great actors out there like Peter Dinklage and Warwick Davis. Not to mention the money they could've saved instead of having to come up with complicated shots and special effects in order to use regular sized actors.
I love Warwick Davis, but calling him a great actor is kind of a stretch.

Yeah, I'm going to have to disagree with you there. They may have been able to find a few little people that fit a few of the hobbit roles, but there were four hobbits that played a main role in all three films, and finding the right little people with the skills and the look they were going for would have been very difficult, if not impossible without essentially changing the characters.

I know a lot of people aren't impressed by the acting of those who were cast as hobbits, but I found them very good.

Further, you can't get around the fact that many little people have a distinctly different build and body style, proportionately:

http://www.diffen.com/difference/Dwarf_vs_Midget

Many medical conditions leading to short stature also lead to disproportionately shortened limbs (arms, legs). While you and others might have preferred that look for the hobbits, they were clearly described in the books as looking like humans, just smaller, like children.

Little people generally do not look like children or small adults.

I think pretty much all of the cast of the Sin City movie were perfect. With the possible exception of Jessica Alba, who plays a stripper who doesn't actually strip. Mickey Rourke and Benicio del Toro were particular standouts for me.

I think pretty much all of the cast of the Sin City movie were perfect. With the possible exception of Jessica Alba, who plays a stripper who doesn't actually strip. Mickey Rourke and Benicio del Toro were particular standouts for me.
Eh, she was still dancing erotically. I read somewhere that Alba refuses to do nude, which I say good on her. I don't think the lack of nudity hurt the movie at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.