[TV] pilot of Preacher ordered by AMC

Nope... nope, nope, nope, nope...

There are multiple reasons that this will not work.

Preacher was a product of its time. They will have to change too many things to even allow it to air on basic cable. They will have to sanitize a lot of the misogyny, homophobia, and violence for the work to even get it on the air.

The reason The Walking Dead can work is because they're just using the comic's universe to tell their own stories. This won't work in this case, because if you call the series Preacher, you'd expect Jesse Custer to be the protagonist.

The comic has a definite start and end point. It is a contained story and to make it an ongoing series, it diminishes the whole point of the comic.

I'll believe it when I see it. We've seen a TV show and a movie promised before.[DOUBLEPOST=1391721111,1391720791][/DOUBLEPOST]
Preacher was a product of its time. They will have to change too many things to even allow it to air on basic cable. They will have to sanitize a lot of the misogyny, homophobia, and violence for the work to even get it on the air.
I agree that it was definitely a comic for the time it was made. And it took me a second (only a second) to think back to how it was homophobic. The Sex Detectives and Herr Starr are enough for that (and The Duke calling Jesse a faggot...). But where do you get misogyny? I mean, Tulip is arguably one of the stronger, more well-rounded female characters I've seen in comic books.

I'll believe it when I see it. We've seen a TV show and a movie promised before.[DOUBLEPOST=1391721111,1391720791][/DOUBLEPOST]

I agree that it was definitely a comic for the time it was made. And it took me a second (only a second) to think back to how it was homophobic. The Sex Detectives and Herr Starr are enough for that (and The Duke calling Jesse a nice gay person...). But where do you get misogyny? I mean, Tulips is arguably one of the stronger, more well-rounded female characters I've seen in comic books.

Do we remember this?

I remember this.

I agree that it was definitely a comic for the time it was made. And it took me a second (only a second) to think back to how it was homophobic. The Sex Detectives and Herr Starr are enough for that (and The Duke calling Jesse a nice gay person...). But where do you get misogyny? I mean, Tulip is arguably one of the stronger, more well-rounded female characters I've seen in comic books.
Yes, and she's constantly being shut down, successfully, by Jesse. It's more that the main protagonist is a misogynist than the series itself.

Yes, and she's constantly being shut down, successfully, by Jesse. It's more that the main protagonist is a misogynist than the series itself.
Except he gets his due for that on several occasions, most especially by her. I think you're misusing the word misogyny because the character does treat women with a great deal of respect throughout the series. The deputy in the small town, his mother, Tulip's best friend, etc. Nowhere does he mistreat any woman. I wouldn't say he shuts her down so much as tries to protect her because of his own, old-fashioned values as well as just wanting to keep her safe when it's her that saves his ass nine times out of ten.

I mean, the very definition of a misogynist is someone that hates women. Jesse very clearly does not on multiple occasions.

Last edited:
Perhaps chauvinistic would be a better word, but Jesse does have some old world ideas about women. He's a flawed character, like everyone else in the comic.
Probably better wording, and one that's actually used by Tulip herself. My point being that this would probably be toned down for basic cable.

I should try the comic, but I always feel like Ennis is trying so hard to be grotesque that the story suffers for it.

Based on Garth Ennis andSteve Dillon's 1990s comic series from DC Comics imprint Vertigo, Preacher revolves around Rev. Jesse Custer, a bad-ass Texas preacher who after losing his faith, learns that God has left Heaven and forsaken his duties. Jesse becomes the only one who is able to track God down -- and hold him responsible for his dereliction of duties. Tulip O'Hare, Jesse's beer guzzling vampire ex-girlfriend, accompanies him on his quest for answers. But the story doesn't end there -- the Saint of Killers -- an immortal killing machine and Western lone gunman type -- is hot on their trail with the lone goal of hunting and killing Jesse.
WHAT? I know it's been a LONG time since I've read Preacher (probably 15 years), but did they just combine Tulip and Cassidy?

I'd agree on a lot of Ennis' work, but Preacher is actually REALLY good. I also had similar feelings going into it.

WHAT? I know it's been a LONG time since I've read Preacher (probably 15 years), but did they just combine Tulip and Cassidy?
I didn't even read that article, just responded to the concept of a Preacher show. But if this is the case. AUTO FAIL!

I didn't even read that article, just responded to the concept of a Preacher show. But if this is the case. AUTO FAIL!
I'm hoping AMC just dumb-fuckered it up and that isn't what they are going with.

Not that I think this is a good idea.

Perhaps chauvinistic would be a better word, but Jesse does have some old world ideas about women. He's a flawed character, like everyone else in the comic.
Yeah, I could agree with chauvinistic. It's an old school or old fashioned kind of male values that he carries, but it's never about hating women. If anything, it's the opposite. He's over-protective of Tulip to the point of ridiculousness, but I think that's largely because

he saw her get shot in the head right in front of his eyes.

Which personally, I think adds a really great layer to the character.

Yeah, I could agree with chauvinistic. It's an old school or old fashioned kind of male values that he carries, but it's never about hating women. If anything, it's the opposite. He's over-protective of Tulip to the point of ridiculousness, but I think that's largely because

he saw her get shot in the head right in front of his eyes.

Which personally, I think adds a really great layer to the character.
Oh, I love all of the characters, flaws and all. I think it's really good writing to have characters with obvious shortcomings and still be very relateable and sympathetic. I mean, Cassidy is a fucked up terrible human being (literally) and I still love his character.

Even the sex scenes in the comic never felt forced or gratuitous, which is insanely rare for a comic to pull off. Any scene with Tulip and Jesse in bed never left me feeling like it was shoehorned in for an excuse to draw bewbs, it just made me happy for the characters.

Probably better wording, and one that's actually used by Tulip herself. My point being that this would probably be toned down for basic cable.
Oh, DEFINITELY agreed there. I can't imagine even half of the iconic, controversial shock moments in the comic will make it to the small screen.

Then again, I thought the same thing for much of Walking Dead and they kept in quite a number of memorable, controversial moments.
(Minus, fortunately,
Michonne's rape and subsequent torture of The Governor. No WAY that would've made it to TV.)

Really hope the person who wrote that article is just misinformed or that's a typo or something.

As we've been given false promise of this show before I retain cautious skepticism, however if it is true I really hope they keep it in the nineties and don't try to modernize it(even though such is practically asking for the moon).

I also hope they make the "word of god" look cool, and that they don't spam it in the adaptation.

You know, I remember when the rumours of the movie first started copping up, WB at the time considered getting James Marsen (aka: Cyclops from the X-Men movies). At the time, most thought he looked too young. I bet he's just about the right age for it now.

Ehhhhh...I have my doubts about this. I was a little more hopeful when it was rumored to be HBO. Preacher tends to be so over-the-top, I can't possibly see how AMC can pull it off. Also, I tend to find Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg's efforts lackluster, but then again, they're not writing the original material, just adapting.

For those concerned about "basic" cable, AMC and FX pretty much are HBO without full frontal and the word fuck. The violence on Walking Dead and Breaking Bad was really worse than anything ever shown in the Sopranos or Game of Thrones (okay, maybe tied with GoT)

Far more than any of the violence, I think what would do in a real attempt at a series would be all the blasphemy.

--Patrick

Man, my husband loves Preacher but I can barely stomach it.

I think my fav bit in it was the thing where Star (is that right?) got his head cut to look like a dick and it just a whole page of panels of him staring at it...and then the hat bit.

That is all I like about Preacher.

To this day, I still crack up at the page where he's hopping across the desert with one leg.

Hop hop hop. THUMP. "Fuck!"

Violence is the least shocking thing in it.
^Exactly this. That's why I said "over-the-top", not "over-the-top violent". People tend to be more forgiving of graphic violence(which is a topic for another time), but the other themes in Preacher, most of which are vital to the plot and the characters, I can't see people being so keen on with basic cable. I read the whole series, but there were parts that, like Little Sin, I had a very hard time stomaching, and I love things like "monster" movies.

Yeeeeaaaaah, super skeptical about this. If HBO was involved, then I'd be more optimistic, but there's so much deliberately provocative stuff in Preacher I'm not sure it would work on basic cable with severely re-doing it, and I'm really not sure I would want to watch a sanitized version of it (I love the comic too much).

Now somebody call me when they finally make the movie for "Crossed", than I'll KNOW its the apocalypse.
I'm not famili-

Y'know what the weirdest thing about Preacher was? After a while, you could actually make out what Arseface was saying without subtitles.

Yeeeeaaaaah, super skeptical about this. If HBO was involved, then I'd be more optimistic, but there's so much deliberately provocative stuff in Preacher I'm not sure it would work on basic cable with severely re-doing it, and I'm really not sure I would want to watch a sanitized version of it (I love the comic too much).

I'm not famili-

Heh, yeah it is the most horrifying comic I have ever read. Also the sequels aren't written by Garth Ennis and I've heard bad things.

I have a strange relationship with Crossed.

After reading it the first time I could not get to sleep that nighr because....DAMN.

...yet I went back for more.

My relationship with Ennis is complicated. I hate The Boys, luke warm on preacher, LOVED his Hellblazer run...and Crossed I can't figure out my emotions on.

I like him just as well as Alan Moore, I guess...another writer I have a complicated relationship with.

I have a strange relationship with Crossed.

After reading it the first time I could not get to sleep that nighr because....DAMN.

...yet I went back for more.

My relationship with Ennis is complicated. I hate The Boys, luke warm on preacher, LOVED his Hellblazer run...and Crossed I can't figure out my emotions on.

I like him just as well as Alan Moore, I guess...another writer I have a complicated relationship with.
Sounds similar to my feelings about Mark Millar. I absolutely LOATHE his creator-owned stuff like Wanted and Kick-Ass, and yet I quite enjoyed his run on Ultimates. Admittedly, I still consider Ultimates relatively low-brow, like a really good summer blockbuster.

Sounds similar to my feelings about Mark Millar. I absolutely LOATHE his creator-owned stuff like Wanted and Kick-Ass, and yet I quite enjoyed his run on Ultimates. Admittedly, I still consider Ultimates relatively low-brow, like a really good summer blockbuster.
Oh man.

I forgot about Mark Millar

I can't say I even enjoyed his run on Ultimates. It felt...squicky?

Millar is perfectly "alright" when someone has a leash on him. Basically his Marvel and DC stuff. But yeah, on his own? Hot garbage.

As the guy who had a Jesse Custer av here for years, all I can say is ehhh, I don't have high hopes.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk