Pokemon? /facepalm and sigh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok first of all, don't ask why I'm asking. I don't even want to get into it. However here's the question: If someone wanted to really play "all" the Pokemon games where would they start?

Searching the Wiki there was Red/Green/Yellow for first gen but then later a Fire Red/Leaf Green remake.
Then the next gen was Gold/Silver with Crystal being a remake?
Then third gen was Ruby/Sapphire with Emerald being a remake?
Then fourth gen was Diamond/Pearl with Platinum being a remake?

So if someone were determined to just get the "jist" of each gen's games should they play them in this order:
Fire Red or Leaf Green? Then Crystal, Emerald and then Platinum?

I know jack shit about this series so I'm pretty useless when it comes to answering it.

You want:

First gen--FireRed/LeafGreen for GBA.
Second gen--HeartGold/SoulSilver for the DS (they were remade).
Third gen--Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald for GBA.
Fourth gen--Diamond/Pearl/Platinum for DS.
Fifth gen--Black/White for DS.

You don't really need to play the whole series though--in a way, they're the same game, with graphic and gameplay improvement tweaks. The only reason to do that (unless you're curious about the story--which is also pretty much the same) would be to see the technical improvements, but you'd then have to go back to the old GameBoy and GameBoy Color games, because the remakes are improved versions.

If you want IMO the best experience, just get HeartGold/SoulSilver and Black/White. Controls-wise, I think HG/SS has the best use of the stylus and menus, with Black/White taking a step backward there even though other gameplay and graphic elements made major leaps and bounds.

Actually, I suppose one other reason to play them all would be to "catch them all."

Could you specify what you mean when you say you want the "gist" of each generation? Like, do you want to know about the storylines of the games? The pokemon available? The game mechanics?

I ask because each generation introduces new gameplay mechanics, while having some of the games be remakes of earlier games. This means, for example, that Pokemon FireRed has pretty much the storyline and catch-able pokemon of Pokemon Red, while having the gameplay mechanics of Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald.

The specific games for each generation are:
First gen: Red and Blue at first, then Yellow as an expansion. (GB and GB Color)
Second gen: Gold and Silver at first, then Crystal as an expansion (GB Color)
Third gen: Ruby and Sapphire released first, then FireRed and LeafGreen were released as remakes of Red and Blue. Finally, Emerald was released, as an expansion to Ruby/Sapphire. (GBA)
Fourth gen: Diamond and Pearl at first, then Platinum released as an expansion. HeartGold and SoulSilver released, as remakes of Gold and Silver. (DS)
Fifth gen: Black and White. (DS)

@Bhamv
If someone were to play
1Fire Red
Heart Gold
Emerald
Platinum
Black

Would they miss out on anything other than the "extra" Pokemon? Aren't the games just copies of each other with another set of Pokemon? Like Fire Red vs Leaf Green?

@Esc
That's pretty much what I figured.

The "paired" games, released first for each generation, are basically copies of each other with slightly different pokemon.

The "third" game for each generation, that is, Yellow, Crystal, Emerald and Platinum, also have similar gameplay as the basic pairs of games, though there is usually more variation and they often add new gameplay mechanics or story elements. So going directly to the "third" games, like you're doing with Emerald and Platinum, is probably a good idea.

Obviously you're going to miss out on the GBA games, and the different (and probably inferior) gameplay they offer. If that's not a big deal to you, then no great loss.

So your order of play will pretty much give you an idea of the storyline of every game in the Pokemon franchise, as well as the catch-able pokemon.

Oh, and finally, you'll be starting out with a Generation 3 game (FireRed), going to a Gen 4 game (HeartGold), and then going back to a Generation 3 game. There's going to be a slight adjustment period there, when you go back to Generation 3's gameplay mechanics. It'll be like playing the sequel of a game first, before playing the first game. :)

And, just to confirm, you're defining each generation in terms of the storyline (so Red and FireRed would be the same generation), and not in terms of its gameplay mechanics? (Which would put Red in the generation of Blue and Yellow, while FireRed would be in the same generation as Ruby and Emerald)

Zappit

Staff member
Any DS version + Action Replay and the mountains of codes online = you never miss any Pokemon.

Now I'm curious who it is that's bugging Shego for the Pokemon storyline. I have this story in my head where "blood and murder" Shego is impressing a future lady conquest with her detailed knowledge of the Pokemon video game plots and characters.

Y'know, as dumb as the show is, and silly as the whole, weird fanboy culture that has surrounded it is, the games are actually enjoyable.

Agreed, though as addicted as I was to Pokemon Red back when I was a kid, now I can't seem to actually finish a Pokemon game. I'll get all excited when the new one comes out, play through a bunch of it, but then lost interest just before hitting Victory Road and not touch it again.

Agreed, though as addicted as I was to Pokemon Red back when I was a kid, now I can't seem to actually finish a Pokemon game. I'll get all excited when the new one comes out, play through a bunch of it, but then lost interest just before hitting Victory Road and not touch it again.

When did you become me?

THats actually most people I know as well. The games got too big, and the fact that they are all pretty much exact copies of the first one means you get bored quicker. I've played through Red multiple times, but I couldn't get even halfway through Ruby. I did beat (sort of) Heart Gold though. As in, you need to beat the Elite Four twice in that game and I only beat them once. How you're expected to slog through the whole map again and level up that much more when you've already beat the main storyline is beyond me.

Isn't the story of Pokemon basically the theme song of the cartoon?

wanna be the very best
Like no one ever was
To catch them is my real test
To train them is my cause

I will travel across the land
Searching far and wide
Each Pokemon to understand
The power that's inside

Pokemon, its you and me
I know it?s my destiny
Pokemon, oh, you're my best friend
In a world we must defend
Pokemon, a heart so true
Our courage will pull us through

You teach me and I'll teach you
Pokemon, gotta catch 'em all

Every challenge along the way
With courage I will face
I will battle every day
To claim my rightful place

Come with me, the time is right
There's no better team
Arm in arm we'll win the fight
It's always been our dream
I gotta say, though, I've always meant to play at least one Pokemon game, but never got around to it.

When did you become me?
That seems to be happening with a few people--checkerhat's another. I think Terrik as well. We must all be linked to the same hive mind.

THats actually most people I know as well. The games got too big, and the fact that they are all pretty much exact copies of the first one means you get bored quicker. I've played through Red multiple times, but I couldn't get even halfway through Ruby
Same story, except swap me for HeartGold or Black. I did finish Diamond, and then Platinum, and I blame those for killing my ability to do the others.

I gotta say, though, I've always meant to play at least one Pokemon game, but never got around to it.
If you were just play one game, it'd have to be either the first one or the latest one, and even the GBA of the first one is horribly outdated.

Pokemon Black/White is pretty damn good. Just... endurance problems.

I figured if I started anywhere, it would be one of the newer ones. It's not like it has a massively epic storyline. Fight Pokemon, Catch Pokemon, go to new gym, rinse, repeat.

I've "beaten" HeartGold, in the sense that I've beaten the Elite 4 twice and have taken out the final EPIC BATTLE SPOILER BOSS on Mount Silver. But now I'm thinking of getting into the competitive battling scene, so now I spend my time breeding and EV training competitive-standard pokemon.

I'll have you know, my Metagross is better than your Metagross.

figmentPez

Staff member
So, I figure that Shego met some girl at a bar and lied to her about loving Pokemon in order to get her into bed. Now she wants more and is trying to fill in her Pokemon knowledge as quickly as possible in order to keep up the charade.

Have I been watching too many sitcoms?

So... the 3DS.... does it play retro compatible games like the DS or GBA? Is there a way to make it happen? I was thinking of procuring myself one... maybe get it "modified"..

:whistling:

So... the 3DS.... does it play retro compatible games like the DS or GBA? Is there a way to make it happen? I was thinking of procuring myself one... maybe get it "modified"..

:whistling:
It can play DS games. It does not have a slot for GBA or older games. Through the use of flash cards, you can run DS roms assuming you own the legal ownership to have such roms (naturally,) but 3DS roms still aren't an option. It's a bit more locked down than the DS was, but time will tell.

If you're interested in older games and modding, see if you can pick up a DS Lite for dirt cheap.

B

BErt

I agree with damn near everything posted here...I've played something from every gen...and I've sold everything except for heart gold and white. The stories stays pretty much the same but I was very excited when I found out mewtwo would be available for black/white next month...

I agree with damn near everything posted here...I've played something from every gen...and I've sold everything except for heart gold and white. The stories stays pretty much the same but I was very excited when I found out mewtwo would be available for black/white next month...
Fucking what? How?

I mean.. uh... who cares?

(seriously, how?)

It's actually funny how often Wi-Fi giveaways happen. I used to wonder about it, but then Serebi puts up a list. Gamestop and Toys R Us will occasionally have a signal going out for rare Pokemon. You can just snatch them up in the parking lot.

As much as I still enjoy the handheld games, I really wish they would do a large, open world third person adventure game. They've done a few bief, and ultimately unsuccesful, forays into what amounted to little more than a pokemon stadium game with a bit of a story but what I'm looking for would be a fully rendered world, with pokemon roaming around out in the open instead of only showing up in the tall grass. An mmo would be nice, and an absolute goldmine for nintendo, but with the legendary pokemon I can see that being hard to pull off correctly, even if they are limited to only a few per server.

From what I've heard they are happy to keep it a handheld game though and I can understand why: the series sells their handhelds. There are people, and since I've started working in gaming retail, more than I had originally thought, who refer to gameboys/DS's as pokemon machines. The series is the reason why they pick up the handheld at all. Then, once they've bought it, they'll buy other games that they wouldn't have bothered with before.

That's exactly how I've felt about the Dragonball MMO, that's been in Alpha for 2yrs :(

Also how I felt about a Final Fantasy MMO, but we saw how that turned out.

Status
Not open for further replies.