Poll: Who is right and who is wrong?

Who is right?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, my lovely wife and I are buying a new 40" TV for Christmas for ourselves. She wants to buy now while the sale is on but not open it until Christmas. I would hate to see such a nice TV wasted for 2 1/2 months.

Question: If you're even so much as contemplating waiting till Christmas, why don't you buy it on Boxing Day when the even better sales are on?
Added at: 05:53
But if you're buying it now, you open it now. Its not as though you're going to surprise yourselves with it by waiting.

The TV is already $90 off so I doubt it will be much cheaper on boxing day. She says we will appreciate it more if we wait. I will appreciate getting rid of my 32" CRT whenever it happens.
Added at: 22:12
Added at: 22:13
usually 90 days around here. so we would have a week to return it if it didn't work

What's the return policy? Right now that TV is Schrodinger's Cat. I'd hate to see you open a non-returnable TV to only have it become Dead on Arrival at the moment you turn it on on X-mas.

What's the return policy? Right now that TV is Schrodinger's Cat. I'd hate to see you open a non-returnable TV to only have it become Dead on Arrival at the moment you turn it on on X-mas.
Oh, this is a good point. You almost have to open it now. Imagine if you open in for Xmas and find a huge cluster of dead pixels, and by then you can't return it.

usually 90 days around here. so we would have a week to return it if it didn't work. it wouldn't let me post after yours

M

makare

if that's your big christmas gift it would be sad to not have it to open the day of.

Call about the return policy on the set, see if they can get you a gift receipt that might cover you till the day. If you need to know before... slide the box open (DON'T CUT ANYTHING,) gently remove tape, power, laptop for signal, turn on, repackage then wait.

Just too bad you will be missing the start of the Venture Bros. next season.

grub has a TV, SD-32. But HDTV's look freaking amazing. I guess the store has a TV too. But if the sale has a different stipulation on the return policy or the store policy is 30 days not 90, grub might end up with a $900 (or whatever) door-stop.
Added at: 06:33
If it is from that site, 30 days. Turn in on NAO!

M

makare

I just meant you can still watch stuff until christmas and have an awesome christmas day too.

We haven't bought it yet. not sure if the price will change. My wife was the one that looked at return policies, and told me it was 90 days. Turns out that sixpackshaker is right. Only a 30 day return policy. I am just concerned that I won't find the TV nearer to Christmas. Maybe I should add a third option: Buy closer to Christmas.

Generally you can find great deals the week before Thanksgiving and buy it then, I don't know if that holds up for Canada though. But, you get even better prices after T-day but you will not likely get what you want. Or even be able to buy the item on sale because of the risk of it selling out too fast. So you can wait, but test like hell when you get what you want.Then you can wait to have the official unveiling on X-mas.

Then look on the bright side, you get save all that HD-Format cost for 2 months.

Open it now, then you have an excuse for another christmas gift.

Like a surround sound, or a PS3, or a new wife who let's you do what you want because you work hard and dammit woman would you just stop nagging me!

I'd open it now.

And of course, there's this:

Calvin: "Dad says the anticipation of having something is often more fun than actually having it. I think he's crazy. I hate waiting for things. I like to have everything immediately. I can't think of anything I'd rather anticipate than have right away. Can you?"
Hobbes: "Death comes to mind."
Calvin: "I don't know why I bother trying to have a little discussion with you when you're always so morbid."

Unless you have kids who are going to be all excited about getting a TV from Santa, just open it now. The return policy is an excellent point, but also: why does it really matter if you open it on December 25 or October 25? If you want it to be special, have a "Christmas in October" night when you open it. Make cookies & hot chocolate and watch A Christmas Story.

My husband and I do "early Christmas" and "early Birthday" presents all the time. The nice thing about this is you forget you bought the 45" HDTV "for Christmas" in July, and then buy yourself some other cool thing "for Christmas" in November. Win! :D

C

Chibibar

Heh, my wife would want to open it NOW. I say open it now because of the reason above.

You want to make sure it works. Now after opening it to "inspect it" if your wife is so incline to rebox it then you might have to (no winning here bud. It is between you and your wife)

I have heard a few people say essentially the same thing about something that might possibly be somewhat relevant to your situation but probably only peripherally in a roundabout way:

"If I knew I was going to replace the carpeting when I moved, I would have replaced it earlier so I could have enjoyed it while I still lived in this house."

But what you're *really* asking is, "What logical arguments can I use to convince my wife to allow our family to use this Christmas gift prior to Christmas?"

For that, I'd say that there are none that will work. You must appeal to her emotional self.

Comment on how her show that she's going to watch an hour from your comment would look so much nicer on the new TV. Explain that you won't fight with her over the remote and you'll watch the old TV in the other room so she can watch her show and you don't have to conflict with your show. There are other things too, but this is going to be a slow game you will have to play with her.

How good is she in taking disappointments? Just buy it and try to avoid the whole "when to open" debate. When she's not around, open it and afterwards apologize with a goofy grin ("sorry, couldn't help myself :D). She might pout a bit, but how can anyone really stay mad long when their only argument is "but you will appreciate it more if you wait" when you already have it? Most likely she'll secretly enjoy using the new TV already, though she might not admit it (maybe not even to herself).

Then again, the fact that she wants to wait for Christmas makes me think that she puts a lot of value in Christmas and won't respond in a logical manner. In that case, I'm glad I'm not you :awesome:

C

Chibibar

How good is she in taking disappointments? Just buy it and try to avoid the whole "when to open" debate. When she's not around, open it and afterwards apologize with a goofy grin ("sorry, couldn't help myself :D). She might pout a bit, but how can anyone really stay mad long when their only argument is "but you will appreciate it more if you wait" when you already have it? Most likely she'll secretly enjoy using the new TV already, though she might not admit it (maybe not even to herself).

Then again, the fact that she wants to wait for Christmas makes me think that she puts a lot of value in Christmas and won't respond in a logical manner. In that case, I'm glad I'm not you :awesome:
I still say go with the logic path. There are lemon TVs out there. You could have dead pixels, dead TV, or software malfunction (don't know what kind of TV you have) There is a time limit on exchange/return policy. Ask her to make sure to buy extended warranty if she wants you to wait.

Playing the "emotional card" is tricky and can get back fire. I usually just go with logic. If you wait until x-mas, open the TV and there is a fine crack on it, well..... too bad :(

Don't be greedy. It's a nice gift. Open it during xmas.... don't spoil the purpose of the gift. Is 8 inches really worth it?

C

Chibibar

Don't be greedy. It's a nice gift. Open it during xmas.... don't spoil the purpose of the gift. Is 8 inches really worth it?
If it is a TV, yes!
also the off chance it is broken in the box (i.e. lemon TV) then the gift becomes a nightmare since return date is WELL overdue.

M

makare

Im not going to make any kind of response to 8 inches but I did laugh.

If it is a christmas present open it at christmas otherwise what's the point of calling it that? If you can get a good deal on a tv then do it and dont bring a holiday into it at all.

C

Chibibar

Im not going to make any kind of response to 8 inches but I did laugh.

If it is a christmas present open it at christmas otherwise what's the point of calling it that? If you can get a good deal on a tv then do it and dont bring a holiday into it at all.
Yea. But for us, money is limited and to justify a big purchase like that is tie to the holiday and skip the actual holiday presents (cause spend too much) ;)

M

makare

I want my Christmas presents on Christmas. Otherwise they are just crap I buy.

M

makare

Christmas makes a Christmas present otherwise it is just a present or something you buy. Just like a birthday makes a birthday present. If my friend gave me a gift in july that would be great if she gave me a gift in july and said it was a birthday present id think she was a little not right in the head.

Jesus Christ.

Anyways, open it if you want, deal with the consequences. Or pull a Jay and be extra considerate then get an extra special Christmas.

AKA you saved money for "other things".

People in relationships will understand. ^.^

Status
Not open for further replies.