[Gaming] Post the shittiest games of 2014

Now that we've got the best of 2014 out of the way, everyone share their WORST game of 2014.

Rules: No easy targets, shit like movie tie-ins or no-name shovelware are expected to be bad, and thus aren't eligible.

Well, SHIIIIIIT.

The drought this year sent me wasting my money mid-year, hoping I would find some gem and then utterly failing. This is going to take some dredging through shame.

Do you want people to submit lists in PM to you like with Frank or should we just shout out general shittiness in this thread?

Well, SHIIIIIIT.

The drought this year sent me wasting my money mid-year, hoping I would find some gem and then utterly failing. This is going to take some dredging through shame.

Do you want people to submit lists in PM to you like with Frank or should we just shout out general shittiness in this thread?
I don't have the Frank dedication, just talk shit right here, let us shame every developer.

Nothing tops Earth Year 2066, in my opinion. It's one of those "games" that tried to hide under the Early Access banner.

(Brief, special appearance by yours truly in that second video!)

I'm going to have to go with Train Fever, released on Steam, by an unknown studio (I've actually struck out on trying to figure out what studio released this crap without launching the game). This game attempts to trade on the reputation of Microsoft's Transportation Tycoon and OpenTTD, but ultimately fails to be anything other than a giant, steaming pile of gosa. Perhaps simply being rushed to release by a money-grubbing development studio, when the game was released initially the graphics, game speed, and overall experience were, simply put, absolutely horrific. The game touts itself for not having a grid system that things have to hook into, allowing for curved rails and more realism. Unfortunately, all that the lack of a grid seemed to do, was prevent you from ever knowing if your rails were actually connected to each other. The graphics looked a lot more like Microsoft Flight Sim from the 90's than anything even remotely modern, and the speed of the game was so ridiculously low that it took 20 out-of-game minutes for trains to travel from one stop to the next closest stop. Though there have been several patches released since launch, and even some DLC on the horizon, I haven't gone back to the game at all and have, in fact, spent more time playing OpenTTD since its launch than I have playing Train Fever.

Not going after garbage like Early Access nonsense.

Watch Dogs.

Also, Ubisoft in general.

But seriously, fuck Watch Dogs. What a piece of shit. I'm actually mad I played it.

I vote the shittiest thing about gaming in 2014 was all the Kickstarter "games" that did nothing but steal people's money and deliver nothing.

If shovelware and movie tie-ins are too easy of targets, so should be early access crap. That said, this makes listing crap hard because I tend to avoid AAA atrocities--you can usually see them coming. (Oh, Ubisoft.)

SQUIDS Odyssey. I don't know why I thought a "strategy" game of tactics + Angry Birds would be any good. That was dumb of me. Fucking stupid shallow game.

Looking over the garbage I played, a lot of it was from earlier years that I didn't play until this year. I managed to avoid a lot of this year's fresh shit. Really 2014 was a year of disappointment.

Azure Striker Gunvolt did me the most damage. It gets boring as hell after the first hour thanks to repetition and now I have doubts about the quality of upcoming Mighty No. 9.

Bravely Default. I don't have the patience for a long RPG that doesn't grab my attention with both a solid story and enjoyable combat. I don't know what people see in this stupid combat system; it can't be ignored and its abuse isn't that fun. I wish I'd just watched a Let's Play instead of wasting $40.

I wouldn't say these two games are bad by any stretch, but they weren't as engaging as I'd hoped--Smash Bros 3DS and Pokemon ORAS. I've gone on at length about Smash 3DS. ORAS ... I don't know. Nothing about it says "yes, come, please complete me, see what I have to show you." I know there's a lot of amazing stuff in it, I know a lot of work was put in. It won't make me care. I can't motivate myself to continue from where I am.

I vote the shittiest thing about gaming in 2014 was all the Kickstarter "games" that did nothing but steal people's money and deliver nothing.
I wouldn't say all but a lot of them yes.

Divinity : Original Sin is good (though I need to play it), Contagion was good, Wasteland 2 was decent (first part good), Lord of Xulima is GREAT but need time to play it.[DOUBLEPOST=1420303503,1420303289][/DOUBLEPOST]As for worst game of 2014... as Frank said... a lot of Ubisuck this year.

Without going into E-ASS crappo, I'll go with Rambo.

I want to remind everyone that Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric came out this year. Jim Sterling described it by saying not only did it remind him that he and everyone else on Earth would one day die, but that we deserved death, because we allowed this to happen. Just watch the first part of this video to look at how utterly broken this shit is.

Assassin's Creed: Unity and Watch Dogs fall into this list. While I don't think Watch Dogs was all that bad (I'm even currently playing it) it completely failed to deliver on anything it promised, it's basically just GTA with magic. Unity is far worse, with a terrible launch, still terrible bugs this far after launch, an active step BACKWARDS from previous AC titles (ships) and laden with micro-transaction bullshit. Why is EA the worst gaming company in America? Because Ubisoft is in France.

Elder Scrolls Online: The game that no one wanted. To date, Skyrim -still- regularly outsells this, and that should be impossible since everyone on earth already owns Skyrim. This can only mean that, when given the option to buy ESO, people instead buy Skyrim a second time, and this is probably the correct choice. With the six month subscription option suddenly vanishing, by this time next year ESO will either be full f2p, or will simply be shut down entirely.

Dungeon Keeper Mobile: Ok, so mobile games probably should fall under the 'easy target' clause, but I'll make an exception for this one. EA took a classic, venerated title in the form of Dungeon Keeper, and shat all over it, turning it into an example of the worst of the worse of freemium shit mobile games.

Oh, and there's also Air Control. I would consider this an easy target, because looking at it, you would assume it is another shit early access or green light game. But it isn't, it was released as a finished product on Steam.

Forgot about Sonic Boom. And I was limiting it to games I played--which it still kind of counts. I played the demo of the ass-tastic 3DS version. It's bad. Really fucking bad. People who haven't tried one version or the other believe that it's bad, but you really have to play it to understand.

Well, since posting Jim Sterling stuff is a thing now, let's add one more. Another game that was NOT Early Access and considered a full game: The Slaughtering Grounds.

Can we include shit developers who do shitting things? Because these guys are total gits.

I'm going to throw Day Z into the shit pile. There's only so long you can hide behind the "alpha" smokescreen before your game is crap and the devs are obviously milking money from people willing to support the project. It's been well over a year and what happens? They sold it to port onto Playstation 4.

Well, if we're just going to talk shit about games that we never played, this seems kind of pointless.

Honestly, I don't have any games that were a huge disappointment this year, but that was because I barely bought any new games this year. I barely bought any new games this year because there were so few good games out this year.

Also, Bravely Default was released 2 years ago, and I loved it.

I'm going to throw Day Z into the shit pile. There's only so long you can hide behind the "alpha" smokescreen before your game is crap and the devs are obviously milking money from people willing to support the project. It's been well over a year and what happens? They sold it to port onto Playstation 4.
At some point they said they will NEVER put it on sale as it's in Alpha and do not want to market it for people to buy it.

What happens during the Thanksgiving Sale on Steam? Goes 25% off.

The real douche move? They hiked the price by 25% just before the sale.

Well, if we're just going to talk shit about games that we never played, this seems kind of pointless.

Honestly, I don't have any games that were a huge disappointment this year, but that was because I barely bought any new games this year. I barely bought any new games this year because there were so few good games out this year.

Talking shit is never pointless.

A shit game is a shit game, whether you've played it or not. I haven't played Assassin's Creed Unity, but from everything I've seen, it's a shit game.

A

Anonymous

Anonymous

Is this referring to my post? If so, are you a fan of zombie games without zombies or something?

Is this referring to my post? If so, are you a fan of zombie games without zombies or something?
No, I mean in general. I don't think that people can really talk shit about a game unless they've personally played it. Sure, you can be not interested in it and avoid it, but you can't honestly call a game bad unless you've played it to form your own opinion rather than parroting what you've heard.

No, I mean in general. I don't think that people can really talk shit about a game unless they've personally played it. Sure, you can be not interested in it and avoid it, but you can't honestly call a game bad unless you've played it to form your own opinion rather than parroting what you've heard.
You can't physically see a black hole. Instead, you detect its presence both from the Hawking radiation it gives off, as well as the gravitational force that effects the bodies around it.

What I'm saying is, you don't need physical experience if something sucks enough.

I agree with Poe.

For example, Watch Dogs was a huge disappointment for me. Why? I saw the E3 magic... I loved it. Then months passed... delays... DING DING DING.... more delay... RED FLAG.... TB or Bust.... then the game gets critically panned across the board.... was very upset at Ubisuck for not delivering the best presentation of E3.

I would have loved playing what they should have delivered. What I did was play 30 minutes of a torrented copy and un-installed it in disgust on how bad it is.

For 2015? The best presentation was THE DIVISION... by UBISUCK.

Let me tell you my interest went down faster a Malaysia Airline Flight.

I loved it right up until the point where it
makes you replay the game multiple times with nothing new introduced (except the enemies are now bigger damage sponges). I would've been okay with it if they'd changed the dialogue a bit, or added a reason why the characters keep purifying the crystals over and over when it's clear it doesn't work, but I basically figured it out when I got bored enough to intentionally fuck up a crystal purification to see what would happen

That said, it was the only JRPG in years that got its hooks in me so I respectfully disagree with the notion it's a crap game. I'd argue it's a phenomenal game stretched out far too long.

StarBound was and still is a huge disappointment for me. I think it opened up to the public this year. Chucklefish seemed to just stop doing anything to support it for a long time, and it was basically kept afloat by user mods. It also ran like garbage and crashed/bugged out on me constantly. After the hundreds of hours I sank into Terraria I was really let down.

I loved it right up until the point where it
makes you replay the game multiple times with nothing new introduced (except the enemies are now bigger damage sponges). I would've been okay with it if they'd changed the dialogue a bit, or added a reason why the characters keep purifying the crystals over and over when it's clear it doesn't work, but I basically figured it out when I got bored enough to intentionally fuck up a crystal purification to see what would happen

That said, it was the only JRPG in years that got its hooks in me so I respectfully disagree with the notion it's a crap game. I'd argue it's a phenomenal game stretched out far too long.
I hope you either played or watched the events leading to the true ending, because that was a hell of a finale even if I didn't feel like going through the slog to get there.

A shit game is a shit game, whether you've played it or not. I haven't played Assassin's Creed Unity, but from everything I've seen, it's a shit game.
Assassin's Creed Unity's shittiness is something incredible, because instead of bloggers and messageboards bitching about how "broken" the game is, which will happen with pretty much every game, you get a summary of how completely fucked this AAA major franchise title is.... from its official website.

EWS
Update On Current Known Issues

In our last blog post, we provided an overview of what will be included in the upcoming Patch 2, and we have a number of items that we’re looking at already for inclusion our subsequent Patch 3 that we’ll be talking about soon.
In the meantime, we’ re looking at all of your feedback and we’ve consolidated a list of all of the current known issues with the game. The following is a broad overview of the issues that we’re aware of right now:
  • Frame Rate issues
  • Arno falling through the ground
  • Arno getting caught inside hay carts
  • Delay in reaching the main menu screen at game start
  • Graphical and collision issues
  • Matchmaking/co-op issues (including crashes when joining co-op)
  • Helix Credit purchase problems
  • Uplay service outages
  • Some Unite program rewards not redeemable
  • Some Ubi-collectible codes appearing invalid
  • Companion App issues
  • Initiates service outages
I mean, is there an element of gameplay there that isn't apparently a problem? Co-op was supposed to be the major feature of this game, and just joining a co-op match can crash the game. Awesome. "Assassin's Creed: you can have 15 different colors of hoodie, but you might not be able to walk 30 feet without dropping through the planet."