Potential Job Changes and how do I get my mo money, mo problems

So I got called in to interview for a company that wants to create an in-house video production suite. I currently do contract video production for a company but it's intermittent work. So if this other place wants to hire me whats the best way to go to the other company and say, "Hey, these guys want me full time, want to counter their offer with something better?"

It would definitely be in their best interests to bring me on full time, I know their systems and how they function and they love my work but I've never been in the situation of creating a bidding war for my services so I want to be ready in case I need to (yet I don't want to burn bridges with my contract job, it's good people and good money).

Anyone experienced this kind of thing before?

Go to your manager once you have an offer and say "Hey, these guys want me full time, want to counter their offer with something better?" :trolol:

You're on the right track. Wait until you have an offer before you start trying to get more money out of people, but when you do go to the person you work for, and tell them that you've received an offer for full time work, and while you've enjoyed working for them you can't justify intermittent contract work with a full-time position already lined up elsewhere. Tell them that you would consider a full time position here, but you need to do what's best for you and your career. Be polite and forthright, at this point you're in a no lose position take advantage of that.

I've been in that exact situation before.
Basically, I shot straight with them, and said something like: "Hey, I have an offer for full time work that I'm likely going to take. That means I'll have less time for you guys when you need me for side work. I know and like you guys, and we have a good working relationship. Any chance that you might be interested in bringing me on in-house full time?"

Unfortunately, in my case, they didn't take the offer. It bit them in the ass a few months down the road when they needed to update the software I'd written (due to regulatory changes), and I wasn't available..they ended up spending approximately 6 years of my salary on consultants. Pity.

Awesome. Thanks guys. Either company is going to not only have to invest in me but build a in-house studio which means computers, camera's, the whole shebang. In the long run it's a great investment because it means they won't be having to outsource that stuff and pay out the ass but it's a big price tag up front so I really don't know what to expect.

Either way, this is really helpful advice.

I would just like to say that what you're doing sounds very interesting and profitable, and that I have more than a little bit of jealousy right now.
But it'll pass.

--Patrick

I would just like to say that what you're doing sounds very interesting and profitable, and that I have more than a little bit of jealousy right now.
But it'll pass.

--Patrick
Well, it ain't all sunshine and roses. The place that wants me to come in for an interview? They have been outsourcing their work to a third party and decided they thought they could save money if they moved it in house. Here's what that means: I doubt they've considered how much even decent equipment for video will cost. Camera, lights, green and white screens, computers for editing, storage for files, etc, etc, etc. It ain't cheap. Now they WILL get more work for less money over time but I'll be shocked if any of them have considered the real cost and I expect that to be a fun bundle of corporate bumfuckery.

Also: Right now I'm the guy who gets to show up on set in jeans and a band shirt because I'm the creative contract worker. I get to drink beer are home while I'm editing and watch horror movies. If I go back to a corporate gig all that goes away (most likely). Corporate gigs do NOT understand how creatives work and I'm keeping my expectations low until I see what kind of corporate culture I'm walking in to. Plus there may some dick who is willing to do it for a lot less than I am and they love that. I can promise that dude won't have my experience and portfolio though so… you get what you pay for.

I actually say that because the job itself sounds fulfilling and involves skills that I want to improve, but you already possess.
Nothing I couldn't do after another 5-10 years' work, I'm sure...but you're already there.

--Patrick

I hear you man, personally I'm envious of people who can code, I wish I had time to learn how to delve into more app and web stuff, I think it would really add to my value but… you know, time.

So I had an interview yesterday at a really nice, small production/marketing agency. Super nice little place, seem to be really nice folks and they seem to really value creative. Not sure what they are looking to pay, but I doubt they will struggle to pay what I'm asking for given the guy said he's planning to buy a 20,000 editing system for the person they hire. Yeah. Fully stocked Mac Pro, duel 4k Monitors, storage, programs, whatever that person wants and needs. Whew.

At the end he asked if I would be willing to sit down to meet the creative director and the director of operations. I said, "YES" very quickly. He also asked me some cool personally questions and seemed to take a real interest in me and what I wanted to do and would want to work with at a job. I assume those are all good signs. He said he would contact me with a date and time for the next meeting. I figure if they had no interest at all they wouldn't have asked me to come back so… fingers crossed.