[Brazelton] Queen Elizabeth

There's an episode of the Crown where the monarchy and the government are described as two sides of the same coin, characterized as the "dignified" and the "efficient". Both are necessary to keep the country running.

Regardless of one's opinion on the monarchy and the queen, I think Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second has definitely been a dignified presence for the last seven decades, and so that is how I choose to remember her, as a dignified individual at a time when dignity is becoming a scarce commodity among the royal family and society in general.

Also lol describing the government as efficient.

I trash the US a lot and have even said "I wish we stayed with England." I'll have our trash healthcare for the rest of my life for the privilege of not being associated with this garbage country.

Watching cops rough up protestors protesting a fucking marching royal pedophile was pretty heinous.

The monarchy can join France's.

*reads the room*

Aight, this is not the place for my opinion. You guys have fun.

Eh. I'm as Republican as they come (the European version, not the American version who seem to be thinking about re-installing it). Monarchy is an outdated and outmoded concept and far too many people involved have assumed superiority for no reason at all for far too long. Some aspects of the monarchy are despicable or just as unfair as they come - the Queen not being subject to estate tax is one of many examples.
Having said that, there's a difference between the person and the function. Elisabeth II was a symbol and a powerful force for both stability (good) and the status quo (bad). She has been instrumental in the decolonization and independence of....well, a quarter of the world, more or less.
She's no innocent and much of her power and wealth may have been ill gotten (mostly by ancestors) but in many cases she's been more of a power for good than for evil, I think. There are many perfectly valid criticisms to level at her. Some of the stuff I'm seeing on line is rather ridiculous or just obnoxious, though. "Married to her cousin" is a fun soundbite but despite the whole "It's not Alabama if you're rich" aspects, he was her third cousin - perfectly legal and in many normal cases people wouldn't even know they're related at that point.
I don't think everyone here is suddenly a mourning royalist, but it makes sense for people's first reactions to be more stunned and shaken, perhaps contemplative, than accusatory or down putting.

I don't understand why Charles should be king.

He didn't pull a sword out of a stone or a lake or anything to prove his worth.

Meanwhile our dopey PM has announced that Monday the 19th will be a Federal Holiday. As per usual, no one has any idea what this means as the Provinces are left to scramble on whether or not they follow suit or not. And then private businesses are left to scramble to interpret both their federal and provincial jurisdictions. While this happens, the same problem is occurring with National Truth and Reconciliation Day, where it's a Federal holiday, and some provinces almost made it holiday, but not all, and not permanently.

The Queen is Dead, Long Live the Confusion!

I can't pretend to feel gladness over her death, but I am curious/happy to see people discussing the end of the monarchy (in Canada) more in the last week. Maybe it's just popular soundbites and will fade away, but I don't like the idea of the monarchy for many reasons. I'd like to see it end.

That said, QEII was as good a queen as the modern age could hope for. Quiet, apolitical, and accepting of the countries that wished to shrug off the monarchy without putting out statements of authority. She was probably the best the Commonwealth could have got in these decades and who knows if those shoes can be filled.

I can't pretend to feel gladness over her death, but I am curious/happy to see people discussing the end of the monarchy (in Canada) more in the last week. Maybe it's just popular soundbites and will fade away, but I don't like the idea of the monarchy for many reasons. I'd like to see it end.

That said, QEII was as good a queen as the modern age could hope for. Quiet, apolitical, and accepting of the countries that wished to shrug off the monarchy without putting out statements of authority. She was probably the best the Commonwealth could have got in these decades and who knows if those shoes can be filled.
Quiet, but she was definitely not apolitical. She just did it in secret like all good governments.

I have no standing, but I really like this idea.

--Patrick

The official live tracker for the Lying in State queue...
Current queue length 4.2 miles, estimated wait time over 9 hours. I'm not in London but if I was...I liked QEII, I'm not working today & tomorrow, and I'm physically fit enough I could stand in a queue for that length of time but no.