[Music] Random Music Crap

Because why wasn't there one before? :)

I've (mostly) finished off sorting my music collection. Using TuneUp way back when was a ghastly mistake. Thank goodness for Musicbrainz Picard. And now that everything is where it's supposed to be, instead of scattered across multiple folders and album titles, my album count has dropped by around 400. From ~2000 to ~1600. That's because a "disc 1" and a "disc 2" were counted as two separate albums, even though you couldn't buy them separately. And thanks to TuneUp being a piece of crap, there'd sometimes be a third entry for just the title itself. All that's left is rebuilding my iTunes Match library with everything in its proper place, and fixing the new backup thumb drive after the corrupted iTunes downloads had been replaced. Yay for keeping old external drives.

All of that work, and I've hardly listened to any actual, you know, MUSIC. :p

TIL that when Donna C., drummer for The Donnas, had to retire from drumming due to shoulder problems, her backup plan was... Harvard Law. :)

...what, is this a Jackie Chan thing where Bob was worried Jakob would just sit on his butt living off the rights after he dies?

--Patrick

Recent cover by Home Free featuring the original singer, Billy Gilman...

I remember this song when Billy originally released it in 2000 - it's still a powerful song. Adding the acapella group Home Free's vocals to it and the story that plays out in the video just make it more impactful...

This is a reminder that if anyone ever feels that suicide is their only option, there is help - there is still an entire thread for any number of assistance phone numbers...

Hip-hop artist Childish Gambino (aka actor Donald Glover) made a splash in 2018 with the release of his Grammy-winning hit single, "This Is America." With its stark, sudden shifts between choral melodies in major chords and menacing percussive elements drawn from the trap subgenre, the song constantly defies the listener's expectations throughout. That's why "This is America" also tops the list of pop songs rich in so-called "harmonic surprise," or points when the music deviates from listener expectations.
TIL there are ways to scientific profile how some songs are perceived as "better" than others.
researchers at Drexel University imaged the brains of improvisational jazz musicians as they played. [T]he team found that, while the right hemisphere is associated with creativity in fairly inexperienced jazz musicians, experts with high mastery of improvisational skills actually rely primarily on the left hemisphere of the brain.
...in other words, once you practice how to perform something long enough, no matter how fiddly and creative it is at first, it eventually becomes routine, almost modular. See also: Freesyle rap, driving stick, juggling, writing, programming...

--Patrick

They did a whole thing on that with "Someone Like You" and Adele, right after it came out. I think Polyphonic (YT channel) may have commented on it.

Are you a 90's kid?
Well grab a Josta/Surge and strap yourself in for 30+min and mash that nostalgia button 600 times like a rat in a tiny little box:

--Patrick