Rant VII: Now With 25% Less Drama

Status
Not open for further replies.

North_Ranger

Staff member
Rant away, friends, rant away.

Currently on the topic: Dave's wayward son, and the case of the money-stealing wife.

Is Dave's wayward son carrying on? Hopefully he won't wind up in Kansas.
*rimshot*

(I've actually sang that one at karaoke.... I was JUUUUUST drunk enough to consider it a good idea)

And Dave, bear in mind that I spent 6 years in the Corps, volunteering for every assignment that I came across, and never went further than NYC for Fleet Week. *eyeroll*

You're actually more likely to be forward deployed if you're in the reserves, from what I hear. Stationed soldiers have occupations that need to be filled; transferring them out for combat means pulling other people out of other slots, and so on. Reservists can be deployed without screwing up ten different bases' TO&E. However, the same holds true for new recruits, so your mileage may vary on that one.

There's no such thing as a "safe" occupation in a wartime military, but as far as the war in Afghanistan goes, the Navy's non-aviators aren't so much in it, so that might be a way to go. On the other hand, when tensions flare between the PRC or North Korea and our allies in Asia, the Navy is the main force involved.

Dave

Staff member
Is Dave's wayward son carrying on? Hopefully he won't wind up in Kansas.
*rimshot*

(I've actually sang that one at karaoke.... I was JUUUUUST drunk enough to consider it a good idea)

And Dave, bear in mind that I spent 6 years in the Corps, volunteering for every assignment that I came across, and never went further than NYC for Fleet Week. *eyeroll*[/QUOTE]

I did my entire 4 years at Pendleton at Edson Range. Whee.

But you know, Dave, the same sort of thing happened to me - failing out of college. Granted, that was because I was fighting a crippling depression and stopped going to class, or even getting out of bed some days, and didn't get help until it was almost too late. Hell, I only got out of it because my little sister caught me attempting suicide. It's fucked my life up for years, and I can never get that opportunity back. So, you know, talk to your kid. Probably joining the military will be good for him, but find out what's going on that he did so bad.

Dave

Staff member
But you know, Dave, the same sort of thing happened to me - failing out of college. Granted, that was because I was fighting a crippling depression and stopped going to class, or even getting out of bed some days, and didn't get help until it was almost too late. Hell, I only got out of it because my little sister caught me attempting suicide. It's fucked my life up for years, and I can never get that opportunity back. So, you know, talk to your kid. Probably joining the military will be good for him, but find out what's going on that he did so bad.
I have - he has no ambition and is lazy. He only does what we tell him to, including brushing his teeth and showering. He only comes out of his room to eat and crap. He's been to a psychologist and he's not been diagnosed with depression, autism or anything else - he's just totally uninspired to do anything.

I have - he has no ambition and is lazy. He only does what we tell him to, including brushing his teeth and showering. He only comes out of his room to eat and crap. He's been to a psychologist and he's not been diagnosed with depression, autism or anything else - he's just totally uninspired to do anything.[/QUOTE]

What does he do while he's in his room?

Hey, I used to do that... when I was 14.

I recall you saying some of the issue was because of mom sheltering him over time--I'm not sure if they'll keep him in boot camp if he's gonna be more trouble than he's worth in that sense. But I suppose it's worth a shot.

Plays video games, plays on the computer and watches tv.
Take the video games, computer and TV out of his room. Grades will improve drastically.[/QUOTE]

My dad would have just kicked me out and took all that stuff away cuz he bought it.

Actually...that's pretty much what happened. He never took my car though. Needed that in order to find a job and apartment.

Take the video games, computer and TV out of his room. Grades will improve drastically.[/QUOTE]

My dad would have just kicked me out and took all that stuff away cuz he bought it.

Actually...that's pretty much what happened. He never took my car though. Needed that in order to find a job and apartment.[/QUOTE]

hell, I'm in school NOW and I have to take away video games, computer and TV or my grades drop. It's not an individual thing, it's a societal predilection for being distracted.

Ah, that's why my dad took away my NES in middle school. I got it back once my grades went up.[/QUOTE]

PS2, middle school, same result. My marking period grades sucked, I would be allowed to have it back when the next marking period grades came in saying I did better.

He bought them all with money from his job before he quit.
But he's not paying for the power to his room! (or some such nonsense, you'll find a good reason to confiscate).

Right now, his job is going to school. If he doesn't like going to school, he can move out and not afford power to play those games (or sell them in order to get money for food)

So?

I bought my Gameboy Color with my own money--my mom took it away when I misbehaved. I even gave the whole "it was MY money" argument--her response was "it's MY house".

He bought them all with money from his job before he quit.
But he's not paying for the power to his room! (or some such nonsense, you'll find a good reason to confiscate).
[/QUOTE]
Shame the breaker isn't limited to each room :) Then you could remove power from just his room and put a lock on the breaker box. >:D

"Weeeell, you know son, I appreciate that you want to live in my house, really the pleasure is all ours, trust me. Problem is the economy is down around these parts and looks like the price of square footage is going up, up, up. So... yeah, I'm gonna need the rent you are going to be paying us from now on."

Yup. Thats what I'd say :p

But seriously, good luck Dave.

Dave

Staff member
He has no job. He quit it to go to school full time. But he only worked part time. Anything I do is going to depend on how his mother reacts, too.

Sure, he has no job because there's no need. He has everything he wants and you guys give him what he needs, mainly a place to sleep. Start running a tab and tell him he can either start paying or find someplace else to live.

Personally, I'd play that card before the military one, because he might just flunk out of that too.

My parents charged us rent whenever we weren't in school. Even when I dropped out in '07 with the full and complete intention of going back in '08 I was charged for that year. My brother worked during most of his electrician apprenticeship and pays rent even now, but the couple of times he was in school for a semester as part of the apprenticeship, he didn't have to pay.

Your son doesn't have a job? Tough shit. Either he continues school or he contributes to the household to such a degree as to necessitate a full time job. Either as a student or a labourer, he needs to become a productive member of society.

I'm not even sure I'd offer him the same deal as that, as good as it is. Sounds like he isn't ready for college quite yet, if he's flunking freshman classes. Start a tab, and maybe allow for honest efforts at finding a job to lower it. Say he owes you 300 a month in rent. Each completed application could be worth knocking off 10 bucks. A job fair could be worth 50 or something. That way it's not completely overwhelming for the couple of months it might take him to find one. But I think the running debt is important because if you give him like 2 months to find a job he'll spend 1 month and 3 weeks in his room saying he's looking online and then say you didn't give him enough time once the time limit is up.

Status
Not open for further replies.