Recommend a computer chair?

My current pc chair is about to give up the ghost. I've never actually purchased a pc chair before, I've always used whatever office chair is available/I find/I think I may have actually stolen this one from a closed office building/etc. Choice of chair never really bothered me before, but I'm getting older, and as I spend more and more time sitting at my pc working on projects, or more likely, playing video games and generally wasting time on the internet, my back starts to hurt because this thing has terrible back support.

A friend of mine swears by one of those 'professional gamer' chairs, and when he sent me a link I couldn't stop laughing at the $300 price tag. Nope. And since I don't really have the time to travel two towns over to the only place that sells office chairs to physically sit in them myself, I turn to you lot to recommend what you've had good experience with.

Keep it under $100. $150 max, if it's a particularly good model that will last forever, otherwise I'm going back to stacking pillows on milk crates.

I used milk crates as my computer chair, desk, and storage for just over 2 years.
I may not be the best one to ask.

--Patrick

....Honestly? At a $150 price tag I'd say "just get any random office chair that's comfy to you". Here at work I sit in a €1500 chair and it's a long way from perfect. Ikea doesn't even sell office chairs under €90.
Either way, a chair that's comfortable is very personal and depends on both your body in all its directions, your personal posture, preferences (I want a chair with at least 5 wheels, but a lot of people hate that), the height of your desk, how much space you've got (I'd love to have a bigger chair at home for my gaming but I simply don't have the space),...

I feel this is something where -beside some general tips- other people can't really be much of a help.

Reactions: Jay
I have an awesome $300 gamer office chair, worth the investment . Great on my back. For the tall types.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

GasBandit

Staff member
You're a heavier guy like me, Raven. You're going to need a $300 chair if you want one with good back support that will last more than a year or two. The chair I'm sitting in now, I managed to snag on sale for $200, but I wouldn't recommend it because it's already giving up the ghost in metal fatigue (the seat is slowly tearing the metal that connects it to the support pillar). That's what happens with cheap chairs with crappy chinese steel parts.

If you absolutely can't swing $300, my advice is to go down to your local office depot/max and try the various chairs there until you can find one both you and your wallet can live with. Just NEVER fully recline in it. Always keep it locked in the upright position, or the seat will tear off the base within 3 years.

Mesh is nice, but the chair mfrs know it, and they charge a premium for a feature that makes chairs less durable. Especially if you have cats.

--Patrick

You're a heavier guy like me, Raven. You're going to need a $300 chair if you want one with good back support that will last more than a year or two. The chair I'm sitting in now, I managed to snag on sale for $200, but I wouldn't recommend it because it's already giving up the ghost in metal fatigue (the seat is slowly tearing the metal that connects it to the support pillar). That's what happens with cheap chairs with crappy chinese steel parts.

If you absolutely can't swing $300, my advice is to go down to your local office depot/max and try the various chairs there until you can find one both you and your wallet can live with. Just NEVER fully recline in it. Always keep it locked in the upright position, or the seat will tear off the base within 3 years.
I might be willing to invest that much if I know it's going to last. The premium 'gaming chairs' that are always advertised everywhere though make me wary, I always suspect they're just cheap chairs made to look flashy and marked up to seem premium, and will crumble within a couple years.

GasBandit

Staff member
I might be willing to invest that much if I know it's going to last. The premium 'gaming chairs' that are always advertised everywhere though make me wary, I always suspect they're just cheap chairs made to look flashy and marked up to seem premium, and will crumble within a couple years.
Yeah, you don't want a "gaming chair," you want an executive office chair.

Holy Thread Necro, Batman!

Especially now with Corona and working at home, I'm really suffering from my office chair. It's a nice old fashioned (fake) leather executive chair, but it's developed a slight lean to it meaning my left is continuously a bit lower than my right, which is really painful. Seat depth and width are also not adjustable, and - oddly, given I'm 188cm (6ft3 or so) it's too wide and too deep.

So I'm looking for something new. Office chairs go from $50 junk al lthe way to $1500 thrones, though, and while I've sat in some that were well worth a lot of extra money...I don't have that much to spare.
Lumbar support, adjustable depth of seating, adjustable arm rests, adjustable head/neck rest, size fit for me (I'm tall and not particularly heavy built)...
Obviously, yes, I like the look of some gaming chairs more than the look of some regular old office chairs, but I prefer comfort over looks.
The SecretLab Titan seems to fulfill most of what I want, for a reasonable price tag. while a Resistio might be slightly better but for quite a bit more - I'd prefer to end up somewhere around the €300-€400 mark.
Anyone any intelligent recommenations?
(ignore the site I used - it was the first one I found where that chair was advertised in English rather than Dutch or German)

Gaming chairs are more hype than anything else.
As one person (I think it was Tech Jesus) called it, "They're just a sticker factory."

I am still looking for a new chair as well, since the one I have now was bought by my mom and broken by an ex almost 15yrs ago. No rush, though.

--Patrick

Yeah, looking into gaming chairs that was painfully obvious. Something like 80% of all available on Amazon are reskins of the exact same chair.
At least SecretLab and such are their own company.

Amazon product

This is the one I'm using, though it's currently unavailable. I like it. All of the parts except the caster are metal, not plastic, so I expect it'll outlast the upholstery on it. I like that it's big and tall because the seat's wide enough for me to sit cross-legged in it, which I tend to do.

I got my chair off Amazon 3 years ago and the page no longer exists, but it's still comfy and has a leg rest that I mostly use to attempt to perch my legs there instead of sitting on them. (I'm short and I hate when my feet dangle instead of touching the ground. >.>)