Reddits "the Button" I love it

So, no one is going to comment on how CrimsonSoul's avatar is absolutely made for this thread?

I mean I still wish it could be animated like it should be so we can get the "receive bacon" part, but in this ONE instance, it's perfect.

GasBandit

Staff member
I watched the button count down for a few minutes last week, it never got below 50. Maybe I'll click it if I ever see it below 10 or so.

Dave

Staff member
My flair says 40's now and I've never pressed! I was grey last week. WTF is going on?!?

Dave

Staff member
Turns out I left my computer unlocked at work and a filthy, button-pressing dickhead "friend" pushed the button on my account. I am tainted. TAINTED!!

Dave

Staff member
Now it gets even weirder. My friend hasn't admitted to pushing the button - he just smiles when I ask - but the color of the flair and the text of the flair don't match. I'm purple and it says "40s". That means it should be blue or green, not purple.

Something is weird in Buttonland.

Seems he did press it. Turns out purple is the color of cheaters so he pressed it when not connected to the socket. Not sure how that could have happened, but apparently it did. I will have my revenge.

Turns out I left my computer unlocked at work and a filthy, button-pressing dickhead "friend" pushed the button on my account. I am tainted. TAINTED!!
"Button: The MMORPG"
You are responsible for your account and any shenanigans committed by anyone using that account.
Tsk, tsk.

--Patrick

So everybody wants to know what happens at 0, and yet everybody keeps pressing it?

This started on April 1st right?

And when it's done, they can publish the percentage of their user base that pushed the button, along with the heading, "Percentage of population which would need to die in order for anything to get accomplished."

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
I don't understand colors, flair, or numbers, or anything you guys are talking about. Anything that can explain?
Flair, on reddit, is "decorative" stuff that goes next to your username wherever it's listed (like as the author of a post). What flair is available varies from subreddit to subreddit. On the "Button" subreddit, the flair is a colored dot. The colored dot indicates your status vis a vis the button. Whites are accounts created after April 1st, 2015, and thus are not allowed to push the button. Purples are accounts that pushed the button before it counted down to 50 seconds. Blue 40-50 seconds, green 30-40 seconds, yellow 20-29 seconds. Below that, since (last I heard) nobody had actually gotten that low, it is assumed that orange is 10-20 seconds and red is 1-10 seconds. I don't think it's actually been explicitly stated what happens if the button reaches 0, but my guess is it stops working. Greys are accounts that are eligible to click the button, but have not. You can only click the button once, and clicking the button resets it to 60 for everyone.

There's been a kind of wierd social conflict that grew up around this whole thing, particularly from what I've heard between the greys and the purples (hence the "Dirty Pressers!").

Dave

Staff member
I think it's an awesome social experiment. When will it reach 0? It will have to eventually as each account can only push it once.

I have yet to see it drop below 31 personally, and it was usually around 50. All I can think about is all the wasted seconds.

So - is there some sort of buffer for button presses? Say 0.25 seconds or something, where if someone else pressed the button a millisecond before you did, your button press doesn't count & you retain your press?

Because if not, then I would imagine that an extremely high percentage of the purples fall into this category.

Imagine you have the patience and, most importantly, the willpower to decide that you will not press the button until the timer reaches 02 seconds. You wait & wait until someday, in the distant future, the time comes. The timer is in the single digits. You wait. Surely someone else will give in before it reaches 02! 05... somebody? 04... helloooo? 03....... anybody home??

02 *sigh* <click>... but in the fractions of a second before you clicked the button, somebody in Poughkeepsie who decided on 03 seconds but has a slow connection actually clicked the button before you, thereby resetting the timer & thus registering your click at 59s.... thus labeling you a... filthy.... purple.... casual

:Leyla:

GasBandit

Staff member
So - is there some sort of buffer for button presses? Say 0.25 seconds or something, where if someone else pressed the button a millisecond before you did, your button press doesn't count & you retain your press?

Because if not, then I would imagine that an extremely high percentage of the purples fall into this category.

Imagine you have the patience and, most importantly, the willpower to decide that you will not press the button until the timer reaches 02 seconds. You wait & wait until someday, in the distant future, the time comes. The timer is in the single digits. You wait. Surely someone else will give in before it reaches 02! 05... somebody? 04... helloooo? 03....... anybody home??

02 *sigh* <click>... but in the fractions of a second before you clicked the button, somebody in Poughkeepsie who decided on 03 seconds but has a slow connection actually clicked the button before you, thereby resetting the timer & thus registering your click at 59s.... thus labeling you a... filthy.... purple.... casual

:Leyla:
My inner programming cynic says the button applet probably doesn't crosscheck clicks on client vs server. The latency between the "somebody clicked" update and you clicking probably gets Superman 2'd off, and if your button instance says 02 when you click, you get 02. Now, of course, if your timing is just bad and your client instance DOES reset right as you're about to click, and your reflexes are too bad to catch it, then yes, I imagine you're a dirty purple presser.

There is a time limit and everyone that clicks within the time all get registered with the same time, if your late then you're a filthy casual with a 60s click

Oh you mean if you click at the same time as someone else? Yeah you lose your click but you get whatever flair you're suppose to get (like orange for 21 seconds)

fade

Staff member
My inner programming cynic says the button applet probably doesn't crosscheck clicks on client vs server. The latency between the "somebody clicked" update and you clicking probably gets Superman 2'd off, and if your button instance says 02 when you click, you get 02. Now, of course, if your timing is just bad and your client instance DOES reset right as you're about to click, and your reflexes are too bad to catch it, then yes, I imagine you're a dirty purple presser.
*Superman 3