[Gaming] RimWorld

GasBandit

Staff member
Making a new thread , because I think there are enough rimworld posts in the "what are you playing" thread to mean that RimWorld merits its own thread :p

Now... for actual content... stay tuned.

GasBandit

Staff member
So, my previous zombie playthrough concluded successfully, in that my colonists all got tired of fighting zombies nonstop, built a spaceship big enough to carry not only themselves but all their bonded animals (and the game doesn't require that, you can just completely abandon your loving pets and it won't bat an eyelash, but that's cold, man), and took off for parts unknown.

I'm having too much fun playing with mods and learning more about the game's various functions, so I'm going to give Darkest Dungeon more time to get its DLC balanced and start a new HF-type playthrough. Yes, yes, rest assured I still have all your names in my list. The people who have gamed with me get naming priority, but beyond that, I'll be naming people based on their attributes.

So, for the new playthrough... instead of the story of a lone Glitterworlder who grew bored of city life and headed out to the frontier alone (see RimWorld - Halforums Edition in the "What are you playing" thread), we'll be coming at it from the other direction - tribals.

20170706230922_1.jpg

RIMWORLD - HALFORUMS (TRIBAL) EDITION

The mechanoids destroyed our tribe's home. Now there's only the five of us. Time to start anew.

As I'm playing as tribals this time, that means I won't have the luxury of things like electricity and guns at the start of the game... just neolithic tech. Additionally, research in most areas will cost double or more the time to complete, as our primitive brains try to come to grips with the scientific concepts of the industrial age, and worse, the space age. We'll be extremely vulnerable to the offworlders with their thunder-sticks and worse, the blood machines.

At least there won't be zombies this time.

Our five initial tribespeople are:

20170707002318_1.jpg
20170707002322_1.jpg
20170707002325_1.jpg
20170707002329_1.jpg
20170707002334_1.jpg

I've already got some playtime on them, but not enough for a proper post I think, so I'll play some more tomorrow and then start the story...

GasBandit

Staff member
You can say anything you want about Terrik, because he's incapable of caring.

Literally no fucks to give.

*Actually "caring" in this context means incapable of tending to the wounded, but that also is quite apropos. And incapable of "social" also amounts to not having fucks to give.

GasBandit

Staff member
Also, just as a note for those who don't own the game and aren't familiar with the context of the skill levels, the numbers mean this:

Skill Description Total exp/to next level
0 Barely heard of it 0 1000
1 Utter Beginner 1000 2000
2 Beginner 3000 3000
3 Basic Familiarity 6000 4000
4 Amateur 10000 5000
5 Strong Amateur 15000 6000
6 Practitioner 21000 7000
7 Skilled Practitioner 28000 8000
8 Professional 36000 9000
9 Skilled Professional 45000 10000
10 Expert 55000 11000
11 Strong Expert 66000 12000
12 Very Strong Expert 78000 13000
13 Master 91000 14000
14 Strong Master 105000 15000
15 Planet-Class Master 120000 16000
16 System-Class Master 136000 17000
17 Revered Master 153000 18000
18 Visionary 171000 19000
19 Legendary 190000 20000
20 Godlike 210000 21000

Additionally, the little "flames" next to the skills denote interest level. No flame means the character is uninterested in that skill, and learns it at 1/3rd speed. A small flame means they are interested, and learn at the normal rate. A large flame means they are passionate about that activity, and get a 50% boost to exp gain in that skill.

From skill level 10 and up, skill exp will slowly decay over time, faster at higher levels, so that a skill not used regularly will gradually fall back to level 9. Level 20 requires you to basically do nothing but work that skill every moment you aren't sleeping or eating just to maintain it, but a level 10 will only fall to level 9 after weeks of complete neglect.

After a person has gained 4000 exp in a skill, they suffer an 80% penalty to further exp gain in that skill for the rest of the day, and then the counter resets the next day (IE, you can only learn so much in one day before returns start REALLY diminishing).

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
Does Dei get an effective boost to her Social skill for being the only woman?
I rolled everyone's special traits randomly, one of hers was "silver tongued," which boosts social interactions. This makes her the tribe's official negotiator/merchant/interrogator, though if he has to, Poe can fill in in a pinch - though his "too smart" trait will hamper him because he'll have a tendency to "ACKSHYUALLY..."

Also, she probably won't be the only woman for very long. As new people will join the tribe for various reasons. Last playthrough, I actually had 2 females per male in my community by the end. Which is probably why TailorSwift didn't divorce Rambo when he started sleeping with her sister. Pickings were kinda slim for the ladies.

I just hope I don't run out of female names.

You can say anything you want about Terrik, because he's incapable of caring.
Literally no fucks to give.
*Actually "caring" in this context means incapable of tending to the wounded, but that also is quite apropos. And incapable of "social" also amounts to not having fucks to give.
This explains his optimism.
I just hope I don't run out of female names.
You won't. Plenty to choose from in the "inactive" category.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
This explains his optimism.

You won't. Plenty to choose from in the "inactive" category.

--Patrick
You say that, but I've gone through the user list and compiled it. There's 22, even counting people who haven't posted in years. Maybe 9 that have posted in the last year.

My list of male names, however, is 60 names.

And Tribal-start games tend to be... higher attrition. Mechanoids aren't really fazed by bows and spears.

Still, there have to be many, many more female names. I mean, HFBOT is user number 4400. That's 4118 more user names than you've compiled.

--Patrick

Spammers and lurkers increase the user numbers.
...and likewise the pool of names.

You know what you should do, is you should run Rimworld: JCM edition.
"JCM falls in love with JCM, but a sudden invasion by pirates brings JCM's long-lost mother, JCM, who dies defending JCM."

--Patrick

Dave

Staff member
Also, just as a note for those who don't own the game and aren't familiar with the context of the skill levels, the numbers mean this:

Skill Description Total exp/to next level
0 Barely heard of it 0 1000
1 Utter Beginner 1000 2000
2 Beginner 3000 3000
3 Basic Familiarity 6000 4000
4 Amateur 10000 5000
5 Strong Amateur 15000 6000
6 Practitioner 21000 7000
7 Skilled Practitioner 28000 8000
8 Professional 36000 9000
9 Skilled Professional 45000 10000
10 Expert 55000 11000
11 Strong Expert 66000 12000
12 Very Strong Expert 78000 13000
13 Master 91000 14000
14 Strong Master 105000 15000
15 Planet-Class Master 120000 16000
16 System-Class Master 136000 17000
17 Revered Master 153000 18000
18 Visionary 171000 19000
19 Legendary 190000 20000
20 Godlike 210000 21000

Additionally, the little "flames" next to the skills denote interest level. No flame means the character is uninterested in that skill, and learns it at 1/3rd speed. A small flame means they are interested, and learn at the normal rate. A large flame means they are passionate about that activity, and get a 50% boost to exp gain in that skill.

From skill level 10 and up, skill exp will slowly decay over time, faster at higher levels, so that a skill not used regularly will gradually fall back to level 9. Level 20 requires you to basically do nothing but work that skill every moment you aren't sleeping or eating just to maintain it, but a level 10 will only fall to level 9 after weeks of complete neglect.

After a person has gained 4000 exp in a skill, they suffer an 80% penalty to further exp gain in that skill for the rest of the day, and then the counter resets the next day (IE, you can only learn so much in one day before returns start REALLY diminishing).
This is something I've wondered about. You realize that your playthroughs have done more to sell me on this game than anything else, but I'm waiting for when I come back from vacation or it goes on sale.[DOUBLEPOST=1499452244,1499452173][/DOUBLEPOST]
Spammers and lurkers increase the user numbers.
I could always host another big contest. :-D

GasBandit

Staff member
...and likewise the pool of names.
I'm not really looking to build a community of non-participants :p

This is something I've wondered about. You realize that your playthroughs have done more to sell me on this game than anything else, but I'm waiting for when I come back from vacation or it goes on sale.
You may have a bit of a wait, even during the summer sale the price didn't come down very much. I guess it's just in high demand, still.

You could always also enjoy the game vicariously, I always stream it when I play it :p

I'm not really looking to build a community of non-participants :p

You may have a bit of a wait, even during the summer sale the price didn't come down very much. I guess it's just in high demand, still.

You could always also enjoy the game vicariously, I always stream it when I play it :p
It didn't go on sale at all actually. :p

Yeah, if the price had come down I might've scraped the bottom of my wallet a little harder, but it didn't.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
I really wish my colonists would stop naming the food.
"Dumbass has named Muffalo 9 'Derpy' after being nuzzled! They have formed a bond!" FUCK

At least an upcoming patch is supposed to do away with the dumb -5 penalty to social standing for "killed colony animal" for non-bonded animals.

YOU GUYS KNEW WE WERE GONNA EAT THESE CHICKENS, RIGHT?! STOP TREATING ME LIKE I'M SOME KIND OF MONSTER!

Reactions: Dei
"Dumbass has named Muffalo 9 'Derpy' after being nuzzled! They have formed a bond!" FUCK

At least an upcoming patch is supposed to do away with the dumb -5 penalty to social standing for "killed colony animal" for non-bonded animals.

YOU GUYS KNEW WE WERE GONNA EAT THESE CHICKENS, RIGHT?! STOP TREATING ME LIKE I'M SOME KIND OF MONSTER!
Remember that bird you had in Don't Starve?

GasBandit

Staff member
Remember that bird you had in Don't Starve?
There's a difference between butchering one of 27 chickens for dinner, and murdering a canary (the only one in camp) in its cage (whose purpose was seed and poop-fertilizer production).

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
If needed, I don't mind being a woman.
"And this little weirdo would be a modestly hot girl to get me through the hard times... you know, the kind that are only kinda hot so they don't mess around with other guys." - Strong Bad

GasBandit

Staff member
Alright, let's tell some story, biznitches!

Rimworld: Halforums Tribal Edition

1 Apr 5500 - Fleeing the destruction of their tribe, our five surviving tribals band together in the wilderness to start anew. There's a lot of work ahead of them. First order of business is to build a storehouse and a communal workshop.

Pictured: Humble Beginnings

6 Apr - During work, GasBandit forms a bond with one of the domesticated warthogs, and names it Aaron. It is now his personal hunting and fighting companion.

7 Apr 5500 - After spending several days together working on mining steel from a hillside, Terrik and Dei become lovers. It is decided that private rooms are suddenly a much more urgent priority.

8 Apr - Construction begins on private rooms. Wandering tame alpacas decide to settle down in the camp. This is a stroke of luck, it will make it much more convenient to form trade caravans to visit a nearby outlander settlement.

9 Apr - A lone pirate with a knife "raids" the settlement. GasBandit receives a superficial cut, but the pirate is downed and left to bleed out. When the site is checked the next day, the pirate's body is gone, and a blood trail leads off to the east into the distance... either the pirate regained consciousness and limped away, or his body was dragged away by something.
14 Apr - And of course, the first sculpture crafted in the settlement (by Snuffles) depicts Terrik and Dei doin' it. :hump:

4 Jugust - Two pirates with melee weapons attack the settlement. They are defeated soundly. A trained boar is seriously injured in the fight, but recovers in a couple days.

7 Jugust - A month to the day after their relationship began, Terrik Proposes to Dei. She accepts.

13 Jugust - An Escape Pod comes screaming out of the sky and crashes in the hills to the east. GasBandit rescues the 16-year-old male occupant. Also, cargo pods full of smokeleaf. When the Spacer regains consciousness, he joins the tribe. His name is FigmentPez.

15 Jugust - Terrik finishes crafting many pairs of pants as part of a project to get the tribe out of their crude stitched-hide clothing, but has not actually started making any shirts yet. Dei is not amused at the idea of running around topless.

1 Septober - GasBandit decides the settlement is missing some essentials, and loads up the alpacas with excess rice and wool that the tribe doesn't need. He takes them to the nearby offworlder town of Patience's Ridge to trade.
Pictured: The caravan plods steadily toward the offworlder town

2 Septober - Gasbandit returns. Over the course of the trip, he has named all three alpacas (Floyd, Danil, and Difficulty), and he has traded the spare bulk goods for a rooster, a hen, and a couple outworlder weapons - a "Piss-tul" and an "Elemgee." Gas keeps the former for himself, Terrik insists on being given the latter.

3 Septober - HUNTING IS NOW AMAZING. Dei finally gets to put on a shirt.

4 Sept - Some sort of invisible brain-hurty spirit makes every raccoon in the vicinity of the settlement turn rabid. Gas and Pez are bitten, Pez rather badly. It takes him two days to recover.

11 Sept - An offworlder named TinWhistler flees to the settlement pursued by a rival tribe, the Confederation of Cabra. He begs protection. The tribe needs more workers, so they resolve to attempt to chase off the pursuers. Unfortunately, while the enemy tribe is beaten back, GasBandit loses a leg in the fight. Two female captives are taken. In the interests of stabilizing the relationship with the Cabra tribe, they are treated and released. As for Tinwhistler himself, he is a 47 year old former offworld soldier of an elite shock troop unit. The grizzled veteran is a better fighter - in either ranged or hand to hand - than anyone in the tribe, and a better medic as well. He does have one major quirk, however - he prefers nudity to wearing clothes.

12 Sept - RavenPoe fits GasBandit for a peg leg. It isn't pretty or comfortable, but at least he gets around on his own at a reasonable pace, now.

13 Sept - the tribe officially decides to call itself the Halforums Tribe. The settlement is named West Acapulco. Brilliant. Nobody will ever find it!

14 Sept - A cold snap engulfs the settlement. Tinwhistler briefly suffers from hypothermia and begrudgingly agrees to put on pants.

1 Decembruary - Cold Snap ends.

2 Dec - In the early hours of the morning, three Cabras attack West Acapulco. They kill one of the juvenile warthogs, and then are driven off. One enemy is killed and one is taken captive, treated, and released to foster good will with the Cabras.

Pictured: West Acapulco, and its sleeping arrangements, as of Decembruary 4th, 5500.

Dave

Staff member
13 Sept - the tribe officially decides to call itself the Halforums Tribe. The settlement is named West Acapulco. Brilliant. Nobody will ever find it!
Brilliant!