RIP CompuServe 1979-2009

Status
Not open for further replies.
AOL finally pulls the plug.

Back in the day of text only terminal apps like Procomm Plus, CompuServe was the the one. AOL was still a collection of x-link services like QuantumLink and PC-Link. The CB Simulator was the chat room of it's time. Forums on *everything*.

S

Scarlet Varlet

DarkAudit said:
AOL finally pulls the plug.

Back in the day of text only terminal apps like Procomm Plus, CompuServe was the the one. AOL was still a collection of x-link services like QuantumLink and PC-Link. The CB Simulator was the chat room of it's time. Forums on *everything*.
They outlived GEnie.

Wonder how much longer for AOL.

R

Rubicon

Scarlet Varlet said:
There is always going to be a market for dial up ISP's. Until high speed connections become available even the most rural of areas and vastly cheapened, dial up will always be the main option for some people.

Mav said:
Scarlet Varlet said:
There is always going to be a market for dial up ISP's. Until high speed connections become available even the most rural of areas and vastly cheapened, dial up will always be the main option for some people.
So not always :3 Anyway, at the rate technology cheapens, it won't be *that* long until radio-wave or satellite internet become accessible in location and price.

My life was on CompuServe for quite a while. Very fond memories of the games, the CB chat, the discussions...I don't miss it exactly but I'm nostalgic for it.

S

Scarlet Varlet

Biggest challenge for Dial-Up is the speed. Pages of most sites are severly bloated and excruciating to download. eBay went from excellent, in 1999, to major suck today.

R

Rubicon

I think webpages were the biggest hit as well against dial up. Personal webpages especially.. I'm sure it's cool to have those dozens of animated gifs and flash files on the site, along with embedded midi's or .wav files, plus images and text.. thats one thing i dont miss from my 14.4 modem days..

S

Scarlet Varlet

Mav said:
I think webpages were the biggest hit as well against dial up. Personal webpages especially.. I'm sure it's cool to have those dozens of animated gifs and flash files on the site, along with embedded midi's or .wav files, plus images and text.. thats one thing i dont miss from my 14.4 modem days..
I was on dial-up until about 18 months ago. The graphic threads on this forum were places I wouldn't even consider visiting.

eBay wasn't too bad if I disable Flash and javascript, but now their whole site is festooned with javascript crap. I ask them, when I feel like being ignored, why they don't consider an eBay-lite, stripped of all the bullshit for people on mobile or slow connections.

T

TwoBit

I never experienced Compuserve, but I was on AOL in the mid 90's. Those were the days...that I'm glad are gone.

Darn. I think I still have my all-number CS e-mail somewhere.

And AOL's days are likely numbered; most of their stuff is switching over to Roadrunner. Heck, I can actually use dialup with a RR connect program - and I don't have AOL.

A

Aisaku

Wow I still remember the GEnie ads from the nineties' EGMs... All gone now... :tumbleweed:

Status
Not open for further replies.