[Brazelton] RIP...Prince?!?

Dave

Staff member
They found a body at his estate. News isn't saying who it is, but TMZ is saying it is Prince.

Dave

Staff member
Get your flu shots, kids. He's been battling a severe case of it and was hospitalized with it Friday. If it is him, which has not been confirmed that I've seen other than TMZ.

Well, THIS was a surprise. He always had a bad case of raging jerk-diva-itis, but he also had more than enough talent to back it up. I am forced to admit that I'll always have a grudging respect for the guy.

--Patrick

Dave

Staff member
I will say this: I'm not a fan but I recognize his talents and business smarts (for changing his name to an undecipherable symbol simply to get out of a fucked up contract), but I will NOT be happy to see that dumb ass movie Purple Rain over and over like you know they are going to do.

I just feel like there's some sort of apocalypse happening that I am unprepared for!

My body can only handle so much sadness and shock when it comes to celebrity deaths and I'm nearly tapped out. :(

I am completely shocked by this. He was so talented and produced some amazing music, which is part of my regular rotation. (And yeah, a bit of a nutter, but like PatrThom said, he could back it up.)

I am completely shocked by this. He was so talented and produced some amazing music, which is part of my regular rotation. (And yeah, a bit of a nutter, but like PatrThom said, he could back it up.)
That attitude of his is probably the only reason he wasn't included as one of my top ten.

--Patrick

I love Prince! So much! I'm heartbroken.

I'm so lucky that I got to see him twice. Once in a small venue in Toronto on his birthday doing a simple concert and once here for a big arena show with lights and purple rain.

Man, that sucks. I was always pretty 50/50 on his music but the man was of the best at what he did and the music world is poorer for his absence.

I am now also worried for any famous musician over the age of 50, because damn.

The weird thing for me about Prince is, even though I'd heard of him and knew he was famous for something about music, I had no idea what. I knew he did that one song for the Batman film, but I knew him mostly as a joke. For being short or weird or off-putting, from stories told by Weird Al or Kevin Smith. Or the whole running joke about him changing his name to a symbol. I knew him as a punchline.

And now I'm hearing how he was this great guitarist or something and how he was a major influence in the music industry. Just another example of how little I know about music and the music industry, I guess.

I don't mean any disrespect to him or his fans. Just looking at it from my perspective. I don't think I've even listened to Purple Rain.

https://www.phactual.com/11-songs-you-didnt-know-were-written-by-prince/

Nothing Compares 2 U" by Sinead O’Connor.
"Manic Monday" by The Bangles.
"When You Were Mine" by Cyndi Lauper
"How Come You Don’t Call Me Anymore" by Alicia Keys
"Jungle Love" by The Time
"Stand Back" by Stevie Nicks
"I Feel For You" by Chaka Khan
"The Glamourous Life” by Sheila E
"Round and Round" by Tevin Campbell
"Pray" by M.C. Hammer
"Love Song" by Madonna

Of course, most of these will only hit some of us older forumites in the nostalgia feels

The weird thing for me about Prince is, even though I'd heard of him and knew he was famous for something about music, I had no idea what. I knew he did that one song for the Batman film, but I knew him mostly as a joke. For being short or weird or off-putting, from stories told by Weird Al or Kevin Smith. Or the whole running joke about him changing his name to a symbol. I knew him as a punchline.

And now I'm hearing how he was this great guitarist or something and how he was a major influence in the music industry. Just another example of how little I know about music and the music industry, I guess.

I don't mean any disrespect to him or his fans. Just looking at it from my perspective. I don't think I've even listened to Purple Rain.
You're not wrong about him being tiny. I was only a few people away from him at my first concert and I am for sure taller than him.

He was completely unique and he did his own thing which is part of why I love him so much!

now I'm hearing how he was this great guitarist or something and how he was a major influence in the music industry.
Here's the video many people are citing today as an example of his talent (his 2004 induction into the R&RHoF).
(It's also the video that, when I first saw it many years ago, made me realize he was not only talented, but very talented)

His solo doesn't start until around the 3:30 mark, but when you watch him play, it is immediately and blatantly obvious that his understanding of how to operate an electric guitar was on a completely different level than most people, even people who've been playing for decades. The obvious ease with which he plays speaks of a depth of proficiency you don't usually see outside of lifetime practitioners of martial arts.
Lest we forget:
Never!

--Patrick

Last edited: