[Brazelton] RIP...Prince?!?

I love the story that goes along with that Super Bowl performance.

Also, he's actually playing music at a Super Bowl show, unlike most other acts.

I wish it didn't take his passing for me to find out he was a rapist and a pedophile. But, ya know. You can count the number of male rock stars from that era that didn't fuck little girls on one hand. Like the OP, I'll celebrate the music and skip mourning the man.

:(

This man's music defined my generation. Purple Rain was the anthem of my HS days, and 1999 and "The Bird" was what we danced to.

I can only hope that some of his incredible trove of music will finally get released - and in a manner that would allow fans and just those who'd never heard him to enjoy his talents.

And for once, I agree with Charlie (though I'd have to put EVH a closer second to Clapton).

I knew all of those were written by him except the Stevie Nicks song, which is odd since it's one of my favorites by her.
Until fairly recently - I didn't know this either. But if you listen to the synth it follows the progression you have in Little Red Corvette. Just never put it together.

I wish it didn't take his passing for me to find out he was a rapist and a pedophile. But, ya know. You can count the number of male rock stars from that era that didn't fuck little girls on one hand. Like the OP, I'll celebrate the music and skip mourning the man.
This is getting a lot of negative ratings. Don't feel bad, though, when Bill Cosby dies you can say stuff like this and you'll get lots of positive ratings.

I guess Prince's PR machine is better?

This is getting a lot of negative ratings. Don't feel bad, though, when Bill Cosby dies you can say stuff like this and you'll get lots of positive ratings.

I put the question mark, because I hadn't heard anything about this.
Prince is mentioned in this article that I found while googling: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/01/17/david-bowie-and-rock-n-roll-s-statutory-rape-problem.html But the girls mentioned in the article were young, but of legal age, which takes a bit of a stretch to call him a pedophile and a rapist.

Considering that post was a direct copy/paste from the Bowie thread, I assumed it was a joke.

Dave

Staff member
I think he was pointing out Charlie's hypocrisy of shitting on one guy while heaping praise on the other who was just as guilty of the same crime.

I think he was pointing out Charlie's hypocrisy of shitting on one guy while heaping praise on the other who was just as guilty of the same crime.
i'm just following your rules you laid out to me about speaking ill of the dead on your forum. if you want to enable rape culture here, that's your bag, and your forum, man. i'm just curious if the rule applies to everyone or only me.

The reality is that we don't know much of what Prince may have done in his early career, but he turned things around and as far as anyone is aware lived his religion (Jehovah's Witness) to the best of his ability from that point forward. He stopped playing much of his earlier hedonistic music (ie, those pieces he no longer felt were representative of the person he'd like to be - I'm not suggesting much of his early music could be considered hedonistic), stopped swearing even, once he joined the JW's.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/prince-how-rock-legend-turned-233415[DOUBLEPOST=1461292618,1461292530][/DOUBLEPOST]Of course, he also refused operations and treatments that required blood transfusion due to his faith. Would be interesting to know if this affected the care he recently received for the illness that led to his death.

Here's the video many people are citing today as an example of his talent (his 2004 induction into the R&RHoF).
(It's also the video that, when I first saw it many years ago, made me realize he was not only talented, but very talented)

His solo doesn't start until around the 3:30 mark, but when you watch him play, it is immediately and blatantly obvious that his understanding of how to operate an electric guitar was on a completely different level than most people, even people who've been playing for decades. The obvious ease with which he plays speaks of a depth of proficiency you don't usually see outside of lifetime practitioners of martial arts.

Never!

--Patrick
No, you missed the most important thing-

Where the fuck did the guitar go?

I am ok with that image being posted once every page.
I am tempted to spam every thread on Halforums with that image to make you rue that comment in tribute to Prince.

I was never a fan of his music, it just never really clicked with me. I wish it had, because I liked the few times I saw him doing guitar solos.

Seriously, this is hitting me hard. Yeah, he was a bit out there, but man, did he have an influence on the music I listen to. I agree completely with the Mozart of our age comment.

I just hope his unreleased songs see light of day.

Nick's comment about knowing of but not really knowing Prince made me think of this joke, because that's the kind of influence he had:

A little over a year ago, Mr. Z and I listening to "Uptown Funk", and I said to him, if I didn't know better, I'd swear it was a Prince song, which lead to a conversation we've had many times before about other artists:

Mr. Z: "I don't know any of Prince's stuff."
Me: "Yes, you do. You just didn't know it was Prince."
*downloads greatest hits, plays some songs*
Mr. Z:"Hey, I know this song/s!"
Me: :rolleyes:

When Mr. Z got home yesterday, and we're discussing Prince, he says that this past week while he had his music on shuffle, it kept playing Prince songs, which hasn't happened ...probably since I originally downloaded them. His phone knew something we didn't. :(

fade

Staff member
I'm going to be completely honest... I agree that he was very good at playing instruments, but his songs--including the ones written for other people--were solid middle-pack runners. Nothing particularly bad or particularly good either. This is of course only my opinion.

Jennifer Hudson, Cynthia Erivo, and the cast of The Color Purple pay tribute to Prince after Thursday's performance.

Dave

Staff member
Remember when they were saying he had the flu? Yeah, apparently drug overdosing is the flu. They used to say exhaustion.

It's complicated, I suspect. Reports suggest that just days ago he was treated for a drug overdose - his plane made an emergency landing in order to do so:

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertai...ed-drug-overdose-days-death-article-1.2610568

However it may not have been due to illicit drug use. He's apparently needed a double hip replacement for over a decade now, but as a devout Jehovah's Witness refused to do the surgery if it involved blood transfusion . While the operation can apparently be done without transfusion, it doesn't appear he took that option for unknown reasons.

As such, I expect he's on a stunning amount of pain killers in order to do the performances he's well known for, and even then probably experienced significant pain. Such high levels of pain killers means that it only takes a moment of carelessness to overdose, even in the absence of alcohol.

So it could be drug overdose - but it's unlikely that it was illicit drug use, and more likely that it was pain medication mismanagement - if it was a drug overdose at all.

Dave

Staff member
hey @Dave , i'm still curious about if you've changed your "no talking ill of the dead" rule, or if it just only applies to me.
It has nothing to do with who said it or what was said. The people who died are even immaterial. He was simply mirroring your own comments for the sake of poking at YOU, not the deceased. Hell, when Gygax died I posted how much of an asshole he was. Maybe I'm being a bit inconsistent with the whole thing and maybe it's because you have a tendency to come in guns-a-blazing in the face of everyone else that had me a bit twitchy that time. Who knows? Darwin only knows I'm not perfect.

But I did find his mirroring your comments funny to a degree. :D