Scroll direction

What happens on screen when you scroll the wheel of your mouse up?

I just found out my wife has her mouse set to make the window scroll down when she rolls her wheel up. I am very disconcerted.

What happens on screen when you scroll the wheel of your mouse up?

I just found out my wife has her mouse set to make the window scroll down when she rolls her wheel up. I am very disconcerted.
This isn't that uncommon if she's used to typewriter controls

For the longest time, I was a staunch “opposite direction” (wheel goes up, page goes down) person. This was how scrolling worked when it first became a thing, it made perfect sense because it behaved the same way it would if I put a rubber wheel down on a piece of paper and spun it, like the wheels that suck a piece of paper into a printer, or pull a dollar bill into a vending machine. And once switching became an option, I would angrily switch any machine I used back to the One True Way.
BUT then one day (I guess after trackpads became the norm?) I realized I was using scroll in the “natural” direction (wheel goes up, page goes up) and I have no idea when I switched, it just happened.

—Patrick

Up is up, down is down. I understand it’s different on my phone, but that’s because that’s intuitively how it’d work on a touchscreen (though grabbing the scrollbar on my phone goes back to up is up, down is down, but that mimics grabbing the scroll so I get it).

GasBandit

Staff member
My wheel is up goes up, down goes down. I didn't even realize there were people who reconfigured the wheel to mimic "swiping."

“I don’t know that way. Why would they change the axis? Down is down! DOWN IS DOWN.”
Am imagining a toggle now in a 747 between “Traditional” and “XBox.”

—Patrick

Hmmm… I didn’t change anything, but the default, and the way I use it, on my mouse is to roll the wheel away from me (up I guess) the image in the screen moves toward the top of the page. If I roll the wheel toward me (down?) the image on the screen moves toward the bottom of the loaded page. In one of my photo editors, I roll the wheel away from me and it zooms in on the image, roll toward me and it zooms out on the image.
To me up would be away from the surface the mouse is on and down would be the wheel button.