Should I take the job and move?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the story: been unemployed for a little over a year, and have been applying for everything science/lab related that looks like I can meet the minimum qualifications, had a couple of interviews that didn't work out. In the meantime, I also applied to local retailers - movie theater, sporting goods stores, big box retailers, and heard nothing. I signed up with an employment agency who haven't gotten me anything, not even temp office work. After working overseas, I came back home to live with mom, which wasn't a big deal and allowed my savings to last longer. She wants to retire soon and doesn't like being alone. I probably talked myself out of a job in one interview when I calculated that the salary wouldn't cover the rent to where I would have needed to move. This new situation is similar. I'm not concerned about the job duties, I'm confident I can handle all of that.

I got a job offer that requires moving to Kodiak, Alaska. The cost of living is high enough that I would need to borrow money just to relocate. I can barely afford the first/last month rent and security deposit as it is now, and there is no housing assistance. Add in airfare (and luggage fees) from CA and outfitting an unfurnished apartment with the bare necessities and I'd be in trouble. This is even before considering getting a car, as I've been informed that Kodiak has no public transportation (bike riding in cold rain isn't fun for long). That last job was in Bermuda, another very expensive place to live, but because the institution provided discounted housing, they were willing to spread those initial costs out over several months to ease the financial burden.

The problem is strictly financial. The job term is one year, and I was told that it is extremely unlikely to be extended beyond that, so mom can hopefully handle being alone again for a while (maybe we'll get her a dog). One year doesn't sound so bad, and I'm sure that I could be a homebody for the first few months until the bank account gets bigger. I'm considering turning it down and trying to find anything (even temp/minimum wage) just to be able to build up the bank account to be able to handle a move, should another career-track job come along. I've never carried a balance on my credit card and really don't want to start. Should I say no thanks and hope something else comes along?

If it weren't a job that would give you experience in your chosen field, I'd say turn it down. I'm assuming you have at least a BA in your chosen field? If you don't, lab experience will not help you progress in that field until your undergrad education is finished. If you are in between your BA and either a Masters or Ph. D. and plan on going into those programs, I'd say take the job.

Got the Master's already, it's probably on a level even with (or a little lower than) my last technician position (this is another tech job), but it's with NOAA, so there are potential networking possibilities. Granted, my connections with supposedly well-known scientists in my last two labs haven't seemed to help too much.

Got the Master's already, it's probably on a level even with (or a little lower than) my last technician position (this is another tech job), but it's with NOAA, so there are potential networking possibilities. Granted, my connections with supposedly well-known scientists in my last two labs haven't seemed to help too much.
It's not so much the connections as it is the building up of your CV.

A lab job will look way better on your CV than bagging groceries ;)

Being originally from that area (Kenai on the peninsula just north of Kodiak), let me give you an idea of what you might expect. Yes, it's beautiful and clean there, but you'll have to get used to the cold and the odd sunlight times. Secondly, beware of the bears there. The brand of grizzly on that island are notorious for being especially large and vicious, and I always remembered reports every year about people getting mauled to death by them.

If you think you can handle those things and the potential financial strain while you get on your feet, I say go for it. I know how hard it is to find work around here, so I sympathize.

I would do the math. If you aren't going to end up with a bigger number than when you start, then ask yourself whether the extra padding on your resume will be worth the drop in sacrifice of assets.

--Patrick

If the cost of living, relocating, new furniture, new car, etc is going to be more than you actually make in a year, why bother? "Adventure" is a great reason to take on a relocation job, but you still need to know you'll be financially okay.
What is your trade by the way? Chemical engineering?

At the end of the year, I hope to have more in the bank, assuming no major emergencies and a temporary beater car. If it were a guaranteed net loss, I would definitely pass. I'm more scared of those first several months and the hit my credit might take if I can't pay off the credit card quickly. How much can your credit suffer if you hold a balance for a few months and how long could it take to recover the points?

Degree is Marine Biology/Biological Oceanography, this job title is biotechnician (more ocean research), with some chemistry thrown in. Craigslisting for apartments shows me $1300+ for 2 bedroom houses, which I don't need. It almost looks like apartment complexes are rare and they are actually houses where the rooms are rented out. I'd definitely need to find shared housing.

I'm not liking the financial outlook overall.

Well, also consider that if you have more in the bank by the end, you'll still be forced to relocate again if they don't extend your contract.
And there is no guarantee you'll get a beater car, or a cheap rent.

One day left to decide, still unsure. I typically assume that if I have doubts, then I should probably decline (I also do this when I want to buy something). Looking over the salary, and estimating income tax, rent, utilities, food, and basic furnishings (not even counting travel expense, dealing with a car, and recreation), I'd have maybe a couple of hundred leftover per month. Doesn't sound too good. I should consider the added difficulty in getting a future job in science if there is a large gap in employment history.

I would be tempted just for the adventure. But I'd also call them back and say, "look, I'm very interested but I can't swing the relocation costs. If you can give me a small signing or relocation bonus I'll be able to do it."

if there's only one or two things holding you back from accepting an otherwise good job, talk it over with them. You might be surprised at what an employer will do for you if you just speak up.

Yeah, I want to go, and if it's only credit card debt and extreme couponing for a few months and the ding in credit rating, it still might work out positive. Most of my former labmates are telling me to do it for the adventure and awesome photos, perhaps they are more financially secure.

If you are going to go into this with the oppressive weight of potential failure and ruination over your head, then I vote against it. It is probably not worth the stress and wear on your body and mind. The worry will crush you.

If, on the other hand, you are excited to go, and the prospect fills you with so much anticipation that you have a hard time sleeping at night and are willing to overlook the tight living conditions*, then you will come out the other end with so much more, and you should go.

This is the decision you have to make. Search your feelings, you know it to be true.

--Patrick
*I have been living with only $150 or so of disposable income every month for a few years now. It's not enjoyable, but it is certainly possible. You just have to be actively involved all the time, can't autopilot your finances.

GasBandit

Staff member
Every person I've ever heard of who moved to alaska for a job only did so because the pay was exorbitant. I can't imagine moving for one that won't even make expenses, especially not one that actually requires skills you had to pay to get educated into your head. It sounds to me like the place might be of a mind to hire cheap labor and abuse them. Were it me in your shoes, I would pass.

PS: Driving an "old beater" in alaska is a great recipe for huskies digging a klewsicle out of a snowbank some night when it breaks down.

I should preface my response by saying that I always volunteer for the northern assignments. I love them!

Are there any short term/boarding arrangements you can make?

For a year, it sounds great, but I would hate to see you financially worse off after.

Let us know what you decide!!

Every person I've ever heard of who moved to alaska for a job only did so because the pay was exorbitant. I can't imagine moving for one that won't even make expenses, especially not one that actually requires skills you had to pay to get educated into your head. It sounds to me like the place might be of a mind to hire cheap labor and abuse them. Were it me in your shoes, I would pass.

PS: Driving an "old beater" in alaska is a great recipe for huskies digging a klewsicle out of a snowbank some night when it breaks down.
Exorbitant salaries are probably oil or commercial fishing? This is a NOAA lab tech position, so locked government salary of mid-30k. That's what I made in Bermuda, but Bermuda is also more expensive than mainland US, so the money didn't go as far, I reckon I'll find a similar situation in Alaska. I managed to save enough over 3 years for my big Euro-trip, but was fortunate that there was little for me to spend money on other than food and plane tickets to get out.

Last edited:
You can't get a job at UCSF/Berkley/Stanford etc etc? I know Northern Ca is expensive, but are the science jobs crap too? What about zoos?

I would probably say no to the job unless it is a highly reputable research facility (i.e. will open more doors). But, Alaska does sound adventurous! Good luck!

The story has ended for now. I turned down the job. I calculated that I could save a couple of hundred dollars if I live very plainly and without a car. Buy a car and I lose money. Bring my own car and the "profits" are eaten up on the road trip up and back down (gas, food, and lodging for 4-7 days each way), ferrying a car is about the same cost as a plane ticket. I heard back from one of the techs and an apartment manager and was told rents will be high and in demand because it is Coast Guard transfer season, those techs (on my salary level) are military spouses, so their housing and relocation costs are partially or completely covered by the government. I get no such help.

Thanks to everyone for the advice, it was defintely helpful (and more realistic than former co-workers).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.