*sighs, turns over "DAYS SINCE LAST MASS SHOOTING IN AMERICA" sign to 0*

Didn't find out about this until checking Reddit about half an hour ago.
Haven't had Internet for almost 18 hrs. Feel so far behind.
Also, there has to be an easier way to get attention.

--Patrick

I'm sick of this shit happening, but it hits closer to home when I have to leave my desk because I get a call from my terrified wife that there's a shooting going on outside her job. I had the inclination this morning to tell her to stay home because of her own exhaustion and some medical stuff, but figured she didn't want to hear. Really wish I'd spoken up, because it's been hell down there. Fortunately for me, she's not among the injured or killed. Other families aren't so lucky and my heart goes out to them. I could've easily been one of their number today.

I hope they catch these pieces of shit soon.

GasBandit

Staff member
Damn that's a smooth loop. I was sitting there for like 30 seconds waiting for the glass to fill up.

And yeah, this sucks. Wonder why he did it.
It sounds like he had prior episodes of blackout-rage level violence, and security clearance to the yard. Maybe work related?

Yeah, we'll see what happens as they find more info, but at this point it sounds like he was prone to rage issues and just lost it.

GasBandit

Staff member
Yeah, we'll see what happens as they find more info, but at this point it sounds like he was prone to rage issues and just lost it.
It may be worth noting that all his victims were apparently civilians. Seems odd to me to go to a military base to shoot people and pick out the non-military people to shoot. I mean, he could have gone to any number of places in DC to shoot civilians (with or without ties to the military if this was an ideological thing).

Civilians are less likely to be able to shoot back than military personnel?

As for why there versus a mall (or the like) who knows?

From what I've heard, he was working for a contractor there running new cabling for a network upgrade in one of their buildings. Some have said he had some problems with his employer. Might be related to that.

GasBandit

Staff member
Civilians are less likely to be able to shoot back than military personnel?

As for why there versus a mall (or the like) who knows?
My point was, if you're a rational psychopath (drum beat), picking targets, the only reason to go to a military compound is if you intend on having military victims, because there are military people there with guns more likely to gun you down (as this guy was, of course). If you're just looking for helpless victims, DC's gun laws pretty much guarantee you an easy hostage/victim-o-rama at practically any other destination you choose... so why specifically go to Naval Command and risk MPs with M16s instead of mallcops with pepper spray? I suppose having a certain specific victim in mind who happened to be a civilian and happened to be there could be a possibility and the rest were just collateral damage as he tried to go out in a blaze of nitwittery.

I know we've already guessed the guy had rage issues, but he also had an accomplice, which suggests at least some level of premeditation and planning.

There exists the possibility that he was either targeting someone specific and did the other killings just to cover up, or that he was trying to incite some sort of hate against the military, what with him being a military contractor and killing civilians.

--Patrick

Of the 25 deadliest mass murders in the 20th century, only 52 percent involved guns.
I like how that's worded.

Of the deadliest mass murders of the 20th century, only a majority of them involved guns.

Last edited:
So apparently, it seems that the guy who got the Navy Yard shooter his security clearance is the same one who vetted Edward Snowden.
And his name's Mister Bean? Musharraf Al-ibn Baden? Kim-Un Yah? Seriously, that's either cutting costs in exchange for quality just a tad too much, grave incompetence, or willfull sabotage...

Over 400 gun deaths occurred in Chigago so far this year, but because they weren't all at once, it's not nearly as sensational. "Systematic low socioeconomic status gun voilence" just doesn't have the same ring to it as "Mass Shooting".

And yes, before it begins, I know that Chigago has some of the strictest gun control laws in the country. It was also pretty much the birthplace of gangland violence during prohibition, so there are many factors besides gun control that contribute to the reason behind the incredibly high rate of gun violence.

I don't think Snowden really counts the same. Mental issues can be screened, but not intentions.
Well kinda I mean if Snowden had ever talked about his intentions to co-workers or friends it might have come up on a check. Of course we'll never know cause the contractor talked to his mother and his girlfriend only before signing off on Snowden.

Suicide shooting at a High School near where I live.

Very very real situation: My son was going to attend that High School as a Freshman this year until he got accepted into an Early College High School.

Feeling very lucky at the moment.

Suicide shooting at a High School near where I live.

Very very real situation: My son was going to attend that High School as a Freshman this year until he got accepted into an Early College High School.

Feeling very lucky at the moment.
Suicide shooting? is that just someone that killed themselves with a gun? or someone came to school and did suicide by cop?