[Other] Slang!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where we discuss slang both current and past

What happened to bodacious? I love that word, yet it has practically disappeared from modern lingo. No offense to current slang weilders, but I feel bodacious died too soon.

That too, what the fuck happened to Cowabunga? Its fun to say, fun to read, yet it just as well as bodacious has all but disappeared! COWABUNGA!

GasBandit

Staff member

Bo-day-shus, released in 1987, was a decent album, typical of Mojo's ongoing war with contemporary culture. It had some solid favorites on it such as "Ain't gonna wash no dishes no more" and "I ain't gonna piss in no jar." There's always a soft spot in my heart for "Don't want no foo-foo haircut on my head," and "I'm gonna dig up howlin' wolf." It was in the middle of the period during which he collaborated with Skid Roper, which would end a short three years later - "Unlimited Everything" being their final joint effort before the Toadliquors era began. I was pleased to learn Mojo "unretired" in 2009, releasing "Whiskey Rebellion," but he hasn't put out anything since, unfortunately.

figmentPez

Staff member
"Hey, Dad, know what I figured out? The meaning of words isn’t a fixed thing! Any word can mean anything! By giving words new meanings, ordinary English can become an exclusionary code! Two generations can be divided by the same language!
"To that end, I’ll be inventing new definitions for common words, so we’ll be unable to communicate. Don’t you think that’s totally spam? It’s lubricated! Well, I’m phasing"

"Marvy. Fab. Far out"

Does "I'm the best at what I do, but what I do ain't that nice" count as slang? Cos if so that is on my list of things I wonder why people don't say any more. Also, why did Makino have to die, Logan was happy for fucks sake it was comple-nope. Another time, another place, another time machine I have to get to make sure that Wolverine's story has a permanent happy ending. UP YOURS MAINSTREAM COMICS!

With The Wolverine coming out, it wouldn't surprise me if Mariko were to make a sudden comeback from the dead.

I'm trying to make lezbros a thing if it's not already.

Also been bringing back "word" as in to your mother.

figmentPez

Staff member
Holy shit. Literally the exact same thing happened to me a few days ago too. My friends had never even heard that saying before.
My friend recognized it as a quote of Beast when I told him, but he still thought it was odd I actually said it. I said I was on my way to see Iron Man 3, so it was fitting, and that "until Rogue adsorbs the skills and memories of a watermelon... Make Mine Marvel!"

My little brother is addicted to the Philly slang "John". He'll be all "Can you pass me that john over there?" in reference to any kind of item. Not sure if annoying yet.

I don't say booze as much, but I still like the way it sounds. Mostly because any word with a "z" in it sounds awesome. I also found out the word has been around since the 14th century, and yet we are still saying it today. That is powerful slang.

Let me tell you a little story about my life that might explain how I live or something.

When I was a kid, ... you know that joke from The Truman Show, where he does that monologue about being raised by TV? "I learned the facts of life from watching The Facts of Life!", etc. Well. I watched Nick @ Nite every fucking night and I saw every episode of like.... all those old shows like 4 times as a kid. I stayed up really late and woke up really early and saw every old sitcom.

So sometimes with my friends nowadays, I'll blurt out some random turn of phrase that's from the 1960s. I can't think of any specifics at the time, but there have been several instances where I'll say something, and they'll be like "that is not a real thing" and I have to google it and it's always some old ass phrase.

Bowielee
Turns out I was spelling it wrong, its spelled jawn. To better clarify it, its like the Philly version of the slang term "joint." Like rather than one person saying "Lets get out of this joint!" they would use jawn instead.

I don't know where it originated, but I like saying "Right?" when someone says something I agree with. It's like saying, "Exactly!" or "I couldn't agree more!"

North_Ranger

Staff member
Speaking of euphemisms for toilet, my favourites are Hotelli Helpotus ('Hotel Relief') and istunto ('House session').

One of our sergeants down here has a phrase for J. Random Badguy - he calls them "Skippy the Wonderthug." Never fails to make me fall out laughing.

GasBandit

Staff member
So sometimes with my friends nowadays, I'll blurt out some random turn of phrase that's from the 1960s. I can't think of any specifics at the time, but there have been several instances where I'll say something, and they'll be like "that is not a real thing" and I have to google it and it's always some old ass phrase.
In other words, you ARE Martin Tupper.

Not sure if this is 100% the correct thread for this, but it seems right.
Can someone explain to me why leaving out an -e- is the new cool? We've had the "... 2000" thing, then there was adding unnecessary X's, making all plurals Zs (BratZ, ToyZ), eAnythings and iPenii, and lately (I'm aware the first of these have been around for years but it's only now that I'm noticing a real explosion) of "-e -r"s - Flickr, GeoGuessr, Tumblr, and so on. I mean, it's annoying to pronounce (though I guess, like with the Zs, you're supposed to pronounce them as if the crappy spelling isn't there?) and....well, I guess it at least looks a bit less stupid than Xs and Zs. But I don't understand why it's suddenly popular.

Also, what do you think the next naming fad is going to be?

Flickr was the first, and they did it because flicker wasn't available. They believed that having to spell it out each time made it stick better in other people's minds.

Since then, other services that wanted a name they couldn't have found that users were happy to dispense with the e in names ending with "er" since google would find them if their SEO was good enough, and under English pronunciation rules the two would be essentially the same.

It's so common that domain name search engines have the option of removing the second to last e during searches, for instance http://bustaname.com .

I guess it's slang, but the word good is used in an odd way.

E.g.
Person 1: Would you like some Jello?
Person 2: No. I'm good.

That usage is a bit difficult for English speakers unfamiliar with that usage.

Status
Not open for further replies.