[News] Snopes locked in a legal battle with their webhost

Snopes.com is madly trying to crowdfund a legal battle to get its website back from its webhost.

https://www.savesnopes.com/

I'm finding it difficult to fact check, though. Maybe this has been the long-con for Snopes all along!

(Seriously, I suspect I will be contributing to the cause on this one.)

Looks like the remnants of a messy divorce, here's what the other side has to say about this "business disagreement":

However, according to a lawsuit between Snopes' parent company, Bardav, and Proper Media, a media company filed on May 4, 2017, after a contentious divorce, Barbara Mikkelson sold her 50-percent equity in Bardav to Proper Media in July 2016. Further, "Defendant David Mikkelson ("Mikkelson") has engaged in a lengthy scheme of concealment and subterfuge to gain control of the company and to drain its profits."
http://www.zdnet.com/article/snopes-in-danger-of-closing-its-doors-due-to-business-dispute/

It sounds like the couple split snopes 50/50 in the divorce, and one sold their shares to a media company, and the remaining person is trying to wrest control away from that media company. As far as I can tell the "savesnopes" website isn't being fully open and transparent about why this is happening, which is antithetical to the whole idea of snopes. I don't know who to believe.

I do know, however, that you never, ever, ever split a business into equal portions.

In certain states, you wouldn't have a choice.

(points at location)
You should always split the business when you create it, that way if things go south it's clear who owns what, and even in states where an equal split is court mandated, if the business is already divvied up, that will usually take precedence.

So when I incorporated my LLC, my wife and I are both listed, but I have 51%, she 49%. When she, her mother, and another sister went into business (geneology software) it was a 51%, 39%, 10% split.

Not only should there be unequal portions, but it's best if one person has a controlling portion. At least for many legal purposes - obviously that means they can really mess things up for everyone else, but it's better to have one liability than two or three liabilities, and it saves a lot of time making simple decisions - one person has the ultimate say.

Even in states where assets are split equitably, assets that are in one name or the other, unless specifically contested and with good foundation to be contested, stay in that one name. So if Snopes had incorporation papers with a specified split that should have held true.

All that said, even one holding 49% can really mess things up, so it wouldn't have necessarily saved the whole situation, but it usually makes things easier with fewer expensive court entanglements.

This isn't uncommon when hobbies become business over time and no one stops to think about legal protections.

I feel bad for those involved. I can't fathom how painful the entire ordeal has been.

According to my Chemtrail believing, anti-vax "friend"... George Soros was the owner of Snopes anyway. So the liberal mouthpiece website should be safe.