[Rant] So there I was, back on my alt...

Yep, it's me again, Gared(icus) with yet another computer failure. Right now I'm working off of the permanent storage space on my Ubuntu install USB drive, because neither my desktop with the x370 Pro4 nor the new one with the X570 Pro4 will recognize my SSDs anymore. Not the 500GB one that my most recent Windows install is on, nor the brand new 2TB WD Blue SSD. No more SSDs - they've just vanished. It would be one thing if the MBR got eaten, but since Ubuntu can't find them on either motherboard I'm just completely and totally at my wits' fucking end. Anybody have any advice? They're both WD Blue NAND SSDs. It's either recover the 500GB drive, or start from scratch next Monday when my new low-end gaming machine gets here (because I had to have something).

Yep, it's me again, Gared(icus) with yet another computer failure. Right now I'm working off of the permanent storage space on my Ubuntu install USB drive, because neither my desktop with the x370 Pro4 nor the new one with the X570 Pro4 will recognize my SSDs anymore. Not the 500GB one that my most recent Windows install is on, nor the brand new 2TB WD Blue SSD. No more SSDs - they've just vanished. It would be one thing if the MBR got eaten, but since Ubuntu can't find them on either motherboard I'm just completely and totally at my wits' fucking end. Anybody have any advice? They're both WD Blue NAND SSDs. It's either recover the 500GB drive, or start from scratch next Monday when my new low-end gaming machine gets here (because I had to have something).
Back up. First question is if they're recognized if you go into your BIOS? Did you update or change anything?

I've updated and changed a lot of things including changing motherboards - BUT - I hadn't changed anything before they stopped being recognized in BIOS and at that time, they weren't recognized, but my SATA optical drive was. After they stopped being recognized, I flashed the BIOS to a newer version following the directions on the manufacturer's support page for that board in an attempt to get it to recognize the drives again.

I've updated and changed a lot of things including changing motherboards - BUT - I hadn't changed anything before they stopped being recognized in BIOS and at that time, they weren't recognized, but my SATA optical drive was. After they stopped being recognized, I flashed the BIOS to a newer version following the directions on the manufacturer's support page for that board in an attempt to get it to recognize the drives again.
So... are the ports correctly configured for the drives? I've done BIOS updates and had my boot drive disappear on me, only to discover the correct setting for the drive wasn't the default, and the motherboard had reverted to default after the update.

They're configured the way ASRock said to configure them for non-RAID use. The BIOS even has a handy little Secure SSD Deletion tool, but it just says I have no SSDs installed (I tried with the blank one).

All of this because I wanted to swap video cards and doing so gave me a chance to plug in my optical drive and a second storage drive. And now, nothing.

Going to guess you put everything back the way it was before you swapped card and installed the optical drive?

You've tried more than one SATA port?

And of course all cables are securely connected, yes?

Yes to all of the above. I'm certain I must just be missing a setting somewhere, because the X570 Pro4 is new and the 2TB WD NAND is new. There's no reason either should be having an issue, but neither board will recognize either and/or both SSDs.

Do you have any other computer you can try the drives on? If only to isolate whether this is the drives or the board itself, or maybe even the cables? And if you are using right-angle SATA cables, the 90° end should be attached to the drive, not the board.

--Patrick

This has to be something with the SSDs themselves. I'm currently using the X570 Pro4 board with an ancient 1TB platter drive and, aside from a few windows updates and needing to reset the resolution, everything works fine. I guess we just somehow fried two SSDs yesterday.

I guess I will just go back to never opening a computer case again.

Oh, and @PatrThom, the reason we couldn't reconcile why my motherboard and RX570 didn't fit together like the pictures said they should is because I ordered an ATX board, but I got an mATX board, and I'm so used to working on those, I didn't notice the difference. But if you take the M2 heatsink off it fits just fine.

What...how does a retailer mix up a μATX and ATX board?

—Patrick
Sloppy inventory control during Covid19 from an increasingly-sloppy retailer (newegg), I'm guessing. That isn't even the only bad thing I got in that order. I ordered a fancy new case with tons of USB ports and an external SATA3 port, but the front panel is DoA. The power button stuck, but it didn't matter because none of the LEDs worked and pushing the button did nothing. Swapping literally everything into an older case, pushing the button makes the computer boot.

All that being said, this ancient hard drive, which I was certain was the source of all of my woes on my system from three upgrades ago? It works fine, now that it's not being driven by an AMD Phenom X-II with 6GB of DDR2.

Is everything you wear made out of 150% Polyester? Because damn.

--Patrick
100% cotton, baby. But if dust can be static charged then I can guess where the problem was. I'm going to need a few more HEPA filters to keep up with the clay dust, because the motherboard I pulled out of this case yesterday - I'm surprised it hadn't caught fire yet. Or maybe become home to its own tiny lifeforms, worrying about the flowing of the spice and the dust storms of the great ASRockas.

The worst part though, is that the game that I was going to play that required the graphics card swap in the first place? It completely and utterly blows massive donkey balls. I hate it with a fiery burning passion so hot that only the coldest depths of the deepest Siberian lake could possibly quench it. And because of it I burned two drives and had to drop money I really didn't have on a replacement computer. I'm going to have to have a very stern talk with people who recommend video games to me, because this is literally the biggest pile of crap I've ever played. It's like someone took the worst parts of Empyrion and SE and slammed them together, while removing any of those two games' good parts. Flying is far harder than any game I've played since Flight Sim '95, and your ships can sustain damage (easily), which you're forever repairing, from collisions. The tutorials, when they'll load, tell you step by step how to do things, and then when you get out in the real world, the game won't let you complete objectives unless you do things a completely different way. Each tool has its own stupid fucking tutorial, and each one has to load separately into separate instances, while it's a single-server system. The engine that they're running on hasn't had more than 6 successful games released on it, EVER. The last two games that tried to use this engine failed to make it out of beta, and I have a sinking felling this one will too. You think Empyrion is a resource hog? Streamers are having trouble with their massive 64GB, SLI-enabled, 12core machines. One streamer caught the game eating 52GB of RAM last month.

<pant><pant><pant>

100% cotton, baby. But if dust can be static charged then I can guess where the problem was. I'm going to need a few more HEPA filters to keep up with the clay dust, because the motherboard I pulled out of this case yesterday - I'm surprised it hadn't caught fire yet. Or maybe become home to its own tiny lifeforms, worrying about the flowing of the spice and the dust storms of the great ASRockas.

The worst part though, is that the game that I was going to play that required the graphics card swap in the first place? It completely and utterly blows massive donkey balls. I hate it with a fiery burning passion so hot that only the coldest depths of the deepest Siberian lake could possibly quench it. And because of it I burned two drives and had to drop money I really didn't have on a replacement computer. I'm going to have to have a very stern talk with people who recommend video games to me, because this is literally the biggest pile of crap I've ever played. It's like someone took the worst parts of Empyrion and SE and slammed them together, while removing any of those two games' good parts. Flying is far harder than any game I've played since Flight Sim '95, and your ships can sustain damage (easily), which you're forever repairing, from collisions. The tutorials, when they'll load, tell you step by step how to do things, and then when you get out in the real world, the game won't let you complete objectives unless you do things a completely different way. Each tool has its own stupid fucking tutorial, and each one has to load separately into separate instances, while it's a single-server system. The engine that they're running on hasn't had more than 6 successful games released on it, EVER. The last two games that tried to use this engine failed to make it out of beta, and I have a sinking felling this one will too. You think Empyrion is a resource hog? Streamers are having trouble with their massive 64GB, SLI-enabled, 12core machines. One streamer caught the game eating 52GB of RAM last month.

<pant><pant><pant>
So which game is it?

Dual Universe. I'm sure it has some good points, but mostly I haven't found them yet. And as it turns out, a space game without any aliens trying to kill you? Kinda boring. But really, I think mostly I was pissed at the jackass that tried to report us for hoarding cats.

GasBandit

Staff member
And as it turns out, a space game without any aliens trying to kill you? Kinda boring.
That's the main reason I don't get back into Space Engineers. From what I hear, it's superior to Empyrion in every way EXCEPT it has no NPCs other than exploding dogs and giant bugs with only the barest rudimentary AI. No POIs. There are non-player "vessels" but they exclusively travel in a straight line and do nothing other than shoot at anyone who comes in weapons range. Basically, you're done with the game within a day or two of starting it unless you want to PvP. Granted, Empyrion gets to that point too, but usually it takes longer.