something something Godwin's Law

figmentPez

Staff member
Comments about the Holocaust from representative sponsoring 'divisive concepts' bill raise concerns

"You should talk about these atrocities that have happened in history, but you also do have an obligation to point out the value that each individual brings to the table,"
"Maybe you're listening to it from the perspective of a Jewish person that has gone through the tragedies that took place, and maybe you listen to it from the perspective of a German soldier."

The Ohio legislator who said this, Sarah Fowler Arthur, was homeschooled and never went to college. Someone without a college education is trying to decide how an entire state teaches history, and thinks it's important to see the point of view of a German soldier helping to commit genocide.

"Fowler Arthur's team refused to do a follow-up interview to allow her to clarify her comments and help the News 5 viewers understand how HB 327 could impact the teaching of subjects like the Holocaust."

FWIW, I believe people should be taught the point of view of that German soldier, to better understand his motivation.
And they should also be taught that that view is wrong.

--Patrick

figmentPez

Staff member
FWIW, I believe people should be taught the point of view of that German soldier, to better understand his motivation.
And they should also be taught that that view is wrong.

--Patrick
Unfortunately, right and wrong are divisive concepts, and someone with German ancestors might feel bad if they're told that Germany did something bad.

Unfortunately, right and wrong are divisive concepts, and someone with German ancestors might feel bad if they're told that Germany did something bad.
A surprisingly common world view. Pretty much the route every single Asian country's history textbooks take (democracy or not) when discussing "sensitive historical matters."

Oh no, won't somebody think of the children? /s
It's been a few (well, lots) years sinde I graduated but the Holocuast and who did it was hammered home well in german schools, also how history and society got to that point.
Of course that's at an age where one usually isn't interested in those things and you never know how teenagers learn from it or if they are simply bored after some point (my interest for history came much later, didn't care much for those lessons at school).

you never know how teenagers learn from it or if they are simply bored after some point
I got the impression while I was there that some teens took the Holocaust lessons as an example of "badass counterculture," the same way Americans might think of biker gangs or drug dealers.

--Patrick

OK, I already know about the one about Anne Frank but what about Frida Kahlo and Jojo Rabbit?
Buckle up, because this is a whole lotta dumb:

1) Frida Kahlo’s maternal heritage is from Mexico, but her father immigrated to Mexico from Germany when he was 19. This means she wasn’t *really* Mexican since only one half of her heritage has been in Mexico for generations. Since she had lighter colored skin, she doesn’t *deserve* to call herself Latina (or Latinx, if you prefer). Furthermore, her mother’s ancestry was from the area around Mexico City but her colorful dresses were from a culture traditionally around Oaxaca, about 280 miles southwest of Mexico City. Therefore she doesn’t have the *right* to wear the outfits.

2) Some Marvel fans didn’t like Thor: Love & Thunder. This started an ignorant complaint that he “ruins” every “serious” movie he writes or directs. That then lead to the notion that, because he played Hitler, he was an apologist for Nazis. Also, the idea that JoJo Rabbit had any comedy at all somehow means that the movie was sympathetic to Nazis (and anyone with half a brain who has seen it can attest how wrong that is).

Buckle up, because this is a whole lotta dumb:

1) Frida Kahlo’s maternal heritage is from Mexico, but her father immigrated to Mexico from Germany when he was 19. This means she wasn’t *really* Mexican since only one half of her heritage has been in Mexico for generations. Since she had lighter colored skin, she doesn’t *deserve* to call herself Latina (or Latinx, if you’re an idiot). Furthermore, her mother’s ancestry was from the area around Mexico City but her colorful dresses were from a culture traditionally around Oaxaca, about 280 miles southwest of Mexico City. Therefore she doesn’t have the *right* to wear the outfits.

2) Some Marvel fans didn’t like Thor: Love & Thunder. This started an ignorant complaint that he “ruins” every “serious” movie he writes or directs. That then lead to the notion that, because he played Hitler, he was an apologist for Nazis. Also, the idea that JoJo Rabbit had any comedy at all somehow means that the movie was sympathetic to Nazis (and anyone with half a brain who has seen it can attest how wrong that is).
You are right. This is dumb.

1) I bet none of them are Mexican themselves.

2) They should tell that Mel Brooks.

2) They should tell that Mel Brooks.
They would. A few people mentioned The Producers as failed satire that makes light of Nazism. Because, again, these idiots do not understand humor and have zero tolerance for anything they dislike even being acknowledged in any form. But thankfully they are a tiny minority (for now).

Every time I hear someone refer to “Jojo Rabbit,” my brain automatically wants to fill in, “…Your Life Is Calling.”

—Patrick

I got the impression while I was there that some teens took the Holocaust lessons as an example of "badass counterculture," the same way Americans might think of biker gangs or drug dealers.

--Patrick
At least drug dealers provide a service

It's only godwin's law if one of the things being compared aren't literal Nazis.
The law, as originally stated, make no mention of the validity of teh comparison.

It simply stated that, as a convo on the net goes on, the comparison to nazis will eventually come up.

So it doesn't apply when the subject is a comparison to nazis from the get go.

"Anne Frank had white privilege"

Okay, I've had enough internet for today. No more for me, thanks.

Well, while she herself didn't actually benefit from any sort of privilege, there's a reason why you've heard of her story, but not that of any gypsy that also went through the Holocaust.

But i'm guessing that's not the argument being put forth, is it.

GasBandit

Staff member
The law, as originally stated, make no mention of the validity of teh comparison.

It simply stated that, as a convo on the net goes on, the comparison to nazis will eventually come up.

So it doesn't apply when the subject is a comparison to nazis from the get go.
The law as evolved is "as soon as someone compares someone to a nazi, the other side has basically won the discussion."

So if the conversation is already about nazis, the concept of "Godwinning" a discussion is moot.

I had only posted a normal response but then it tickled me pink to remember just how much Blotsfan likes it when people do that.