[Movies] Spider-Man: No Way Home Spoilery Discussion Thread

Well, we tend to have a separate thread for spoilers and the like on certain movies or shows, so here's one for the latest Spidey flick.

Before getting into spoilers? I liked it. I've enjoyed the "Home" series of Spider-Man movies, though I wouldn't rank any of them particularly high on the MCU list. Of the Spider-Man movies, I'll have to think about it more, but I'd probably put it in fourth place, below the first two Raimi movies, with Spider-Verse still on top.

This one also felt the most "Spider-Man" of the "Home" series. Maybe because the situations felt more personally connected this time? Maybe because the villain(s) don't exist because they have a grudge against Tony Stark? I don't know. I can't really describe it.

But the action was great, especially the finale. I was surprised by two things, actually. One, they held onto the quiet moments a lot longer than I expected. It takes longer than I expected to actually get to the meat of the story. Which I'm fine with. I was invested. Second, this isn't really spoiler, but the villains get more screentime than I expected. At best, I thought they'd be 1-minute cameos. But no, they're a core element of the movie.

The movie has some pacing issues and some weird edits (like why Spidey has to change suits). There's a lot ad-libbing that, honestly, drags the plot's pacing to a halt. Especially in the third act. While watching, I was like "Okay, this is cute, guys, but GET ON WITH IT." There's also one character who apparently doesn't exist at all in the MCU and it REALLY bugs me. More about that behind the spoilers.

It was a lot of fun seeing the three Spider-Men interact. The whole debate over Tobey's organic webshooters was especially funny. But a lot of their interactions, while fun, dragged on way too much, to the detriment of the plot. Like, there was a part where they were in the middle of fighting the villains, and all three suddenly stopped to chat. It created the gameplan to win, but then there was jokey ad-libbing on top of it that dragged the scene on longer than it needed to be.

Maybe it was just me, but did it seem like there was more emphasis on Andrew Garfield than Tobey Maguire? Unlike Tobey, Andrew got his own little character arc about saving MJ. Which, honestly, I saw coming a mile after seeing the trailers, but still. Tobey didn't really do much compared to his counterparts. It was kind of a wooden performance, honestly. Garfield, though, you could tell he was elated to just have one more chance in the suit. It came through in his performance and I'm glad because I didn't think he was bad, though his movies certainly weren't that great. I did like the one touching moment between Tobey and Alfred Molina, though.

Molina, himself, was an absolute delight any time he was on screen. Like Garfield, you could tell he was having a blast being back in the role.

The only one odd to me was Thomas Haden Church. I didn't understand why Sandman walked around in sand form the whole time. It not only didn't make sense for his character, but I feel like they could've saved a little bit on special effects if he didn't. Was he just not available for filming or something? It was an odd choice.

But the standout, of course, is William motherfucking DaFoe. He proved that it was absolutely a mistake to throw a Power Ranger-like helmet on him in Raimi's first movie. Because my god, the way he just gleefully hams it up in every single scene is a delight. And oddly enough, I thought he and Tom Holland had insane chemistry. I thought their fist fight in the apartment complex was the best action in the film, save for the Doc Ock bridge fight.

One thing that REALLY bugs me, though: Uncle Ben does not apparently exist at all in the MCU universe. Neither Peter nor May ever mentions him. She's not buried with him at the end. Holland doesn't act like he recognizes the name when Tobey or Andrew mention him. So, what made Holland's Spider-Man be Spidey in the first place? Because we skipped his origin, we never saw. Was he just a free-wheeling teenager out on Spider-joyrides when Tony Stark found him? He's only learning about "great power also means great responsibility" NOW? That...I don't know, I'm open to adaptations and interpretations, but that one really bothers me.

Everything between Zendaya and Holland was gold. Their chemistry is ALMOST better than Tobey Maguire & Emma Stone, but in terms of romantic Spider-Man chemistry, those two are still number one. I was kind of surprised by how much of the total movie runtime was used for the quiet moments between them, but they acted the HELL out of this thing.

Regarding the Venom mid-credits scene, it's not really that big a deal. It was cute and funny, but mostly harmless (MOSTLY because now we might get us an MCU Venom symbiote saga). I had more to say about that in another thread here.

And how about that Doctor Strange 2 teaser, eh? Looks like America Chavez is heavily featured, a character I know absolutely nothing about and might have to read up on before the movie drops.

Last edited:
I wish I had noticed this before I responded in the other thread. OH WELL.

But as to one of your points, @ThatNickGuy
I was confused about the Uncle Ben thing as well. In his introduction in Civil War, Peter mentioned to Tony that May had been going through some really touch times lately, implying Uncle Ben's death. I mean, I thought Kevin Feige said we weren't going to rehash it BECAUSE everyone already knew that story. For them to... retcon? it in this film is such an odd choice, and probably the only thing I can think that really bugged me, aside of shoehorning Venom in.

Anyway, I had a great time. My son had a great time. I'm sure we are going to watch this many, many more times.

I wish I had noticed this before I responded in the other thread. OH WELL.

But as to one of your points, @ThatNickGuy
I was confused about the Uncle Ben thing as well. In his introduction in Civil War, Peter mentioned to Tony that May had been going through some really touch times lately, implying Uncle Ben's death. I mean, I thought Kevin Feige said we weren't going to rehash it BECAUSE everyone already knew that story. For them to... retcon? it in this film is such an odd choice, and probably the only thing I can think that really bugged me, aside of shoehorning Venom in.

Anyway, I had a great time. My son had a great time. I'm sure we are going to watch this many, many more times.
Yeah, I vaguely remember him saying something about losing someone in Civil War, but they never spelled it out. Uncle Ben's absence in all three of these movies always bugged me. In the first two, I figured they just ignored it because they didn't want to dwell on the origin story again. Which, you know, that's fair. But then to learn in this movie that he seemingly doesn't have an Uncle Ben at all? That's just...I don't know. I feel like that's a fundamental aspect of Spider-Man's mythos. To not include it at all doesn't sit right with me. I like the Aunt May gave him the "great power" line. Although, Marissa Tomei is barely in these movies, I felt like her death didn't have as large an impact as it could have.

Yeah, I vaguely remember him saying something about losing someone in Civil War, but they never spelled it out. Uncle Ben's absence in all three of these movies always bugged me. In the first two, I figured they just ignored it because they didn't want to dwell on the origin story again. Which, you know, that's fair. But then to learn in this movie that he seemingly doesn't have an Uncle Ben at all? That's just...I don't know. I feel like that's a fundamental aspect of Spider-Man's mythos. To not include it at all doesn't sit right with me. I like the Aunt May gave him the "great power" line. Although, Marissa Tomei is barely in these movies, I felt like her death didn't have as large an impact as it could have.
As I mentioned in the MCU thread I felt that the Aunt May death here was expertly handled. I believe the Tom Holland line that everyone assumes is about Uncle Ben is " “Look, when you can do the things that I can, but you don't, and then the bad things happen, they happen because of you. " which is totally fair. But they never bring him up in any other film or appearance of Spider-man in an MCU film so I can only assume one of 2 things: They just didn't want to dwell on that part but the opportunity to change things up presented itself for this film and they took it, or, they planned this from the beginning. I'm thinking the former but honestly it doesn't change how brilliant the move was and how well it worked for this film. There was no Uncle Ben moment for Tom Holland's Peter. He became Spider-Man because he's a good person and he wanted to do the right thing to stop bad things from happening and it's totally understandable that he could come up with the "they happen because of you" philosophy on his own without a tragic death in his life. By not acknowledging Ben, but also not directly un-acknowledging him either, they set up Aunt May being the "Power/Responsibility" death so perfectly I didn't see it coming. Depressing as hell but so very well done.

I rather like Aunt May being MCU Peter's Uncle Ben moment. This means that no one told him that with great power comes great responsibility before. This means all that stuff he said to Tony in Civil War, about it kinda being your fault if you have the power to stop bad things from happening but don't, that all came from Peter himself. This high school kid was being a hero out of his own sense of right and wrong, and that's admirable. Sure, Uncle Ben's death is such an integral part of Spidey's origin story that doing things this way does feel almost blasphemous, but then again the MCU has never been afraid to shake things up.

Overall I think this is the best-acted Spider-Man movie in existence. The MCU's original cast already had some very competent actors, like Holland, Zendaya, Marisa Tomei, etc. But this movie added some real heavy hitters. Andrew Garfield and Tobey Maguire are both excellent actors, with films such as Hacksaw Ridge, Silence, Brothers, the Great Gatsby etc under their belts. That scene on the rooftop where they talk about great power and great responsibility really allowed all of the Spideys to show their acting chops. Alfred Molina and Willem Dafoe were delicious as their villains. And Cumberbatch, Jamie Foxx, JK Simmons, etc all delivered strong performances in supporting roles.

It was also a movie clearly made for fans of the previous Spider-Man and MCU films. My wife isn't as big a fan of comic book movies as me so she was lost in a few places. She also didn't know why I was laughing at certain scenes, such as when Tobey kept saying Andrew's amazing. Thus, I get what Nick means when he says there's too much ad-libbing and banter, because it's basically all fanservice.

Finally, MJ is so hot. And Aunt May is also so hot.

A second time through the film made me understand Flint Marko’s (Sandman) motivation better. Initially I didn’t understand why he was helping The Goblin betray Peter, but the truth was he never did. When the fight broke out he just left without being part of it. His motivation was always getting back to his kiddo and he makes mention the only reason he’s helping cure the others in the first place is that it seems like the fastest way to get back to his home dimension. During the fight at the Statue of Liberty he is only there so he can press the button and get home. Electro even drops a crane on him. Don’t know if anyone else was as confused as I was but that’s what I noticed this time around.

figmentPez

Staff member
The MCU Uncle Ben has been found:

“You're giving me the ‘with great power comes great responsibility’ routine? I invented ‘with great power comes great responsibility.’ Nobody dies to teach me a lesson about responsibility; if anybody dies, it's me.”

----

Tony Stark: Nice to meet you.

Ben Costanza: Well, I wish I could say the same, but I must say, with all due respect, I find it very hard to see the logic behind some of the moves you have made with this fine organization. In the past twenty years, you have caused myself, and the city of New York, a good deal of distress as we have watched you take our beloved Avengers and reduced them to a laughingstock, all for the glorification of your massive ego.

Tony Stark: Hire this man!

----

Ben Costanza: Yeah, I'm great at dying. It's one of the few things I do well. I come from a whole multiverse of dead uncles. My uncle died for my inspiration, my granduncle died, too. I was raised to give inspirational quotes and then die.

----

Ben Costanza gets shrunk by Pym tech and then is convinced that he wasn't fully restored to his proper size. Hijinks ensue, Ben begs Scott Lang to explain to everyone about "shrinkage".

“You know, if it was a regular salad I wouldn't have said anything. But you had to have the BIG SALAD!”

----

“I got rejected by a bald woman. A bald woman rejected me. Heh, you like that one? A woman with no prospects and no hair told me that I wasn't her type. Apparently, Ms Blue Alien likes a slimmer guy.”

----

“Then from out of nowhere a huge energy wave lifted, tossed like a cork, and I found myself on top of him face to face with the gauntlet. I could barely see from all of the waves crashing down on top of me but I knew something was there so I reached my hand and pulled out the tesseract!”
*Ben holds aloft a fake Infinity Stone*

----

“They're heroes with team-ups, Eddie! They wear suits and capes. They're idolized, they have sidekicks.”

----

“You tell that son of a bitch no Avenger is ever comin' to Houston! Not as long as you bastards are running things.”

----

“This is not good. Worlds are colliding! Ben is getting upset.”

“Ah, you have no idea of the magnitude of this thing. If continunity is allowed to infiltrate this world, then Ben Costanza as you know him ceases to exist! You see, right now, I have MCU Ben, but there is also Ben Parker. That's the Ben they know, the Ben they grew up with — Comic Book Ben, Toby's Ben, Andrew's Ben, Animated Bens… If Comic Book Ben walks through this door, he will kill MCU Ben! A Ben divided against itself cannot stand!”

Man, I am still thinking about the Green Goblin in this almost a week later. The best part of this new movie compared to the very first one is it seems like they just told Willem Dafoe “ok, go be Willem Dafoe” and he kicked the fuck out of every second of film he was in.

Actually that brings up a good point. Deadpool could be the only character who still knows who Peter Parker is.

I think the prevailing theory is that that kid is Tony's illegitimate son from his womanizing days. Since he's Tony's son he gets to attend the funeral, but he doesn't get to be at the front with Pepper and Morgan.

Of course, stuff like this is very sensitive to talk about, so naturally none of the other Avengers are going to ask the kid about it or ask Pepper.

I think the prevailing theory is that that kid is Tony's illegitimate son from his womanizing days. Since he's Tony's son he gets to attend the funeral, but he doesn't get to be at the front with Pepper and Morgan.

Of course, stuff like this is very sensitive to talk about, so naturally none of the other Avengers are going to ask the kid about it or ask Pepper.
What kid are we talking about? We've gone through all the pictures taken at the funeral and there is no one there who's not supposed to be there.
The two youngest attendees of the funeral were Harley Keener who Mr. Stark took under his wing when the child assisted him during the event surrounding the President's kidnapping in 2013 and Morgan Stark.

What kid are we talking about? We've gone through all the pictures taken at the funeral and there is no one there who's not supposed to be there.
The two youngest attendees of the funeral were Harley Keener who Mr. Stark took under his wing when the child assisted him during the event surrounding the President's kidnapping in 2013 and Morgan Stark.
we’re talking about the kid circled in the picture I posted, no one can seem to ID him. Maybe he’s a neighbor of the Starks’ that only got introduced in a deleted scene.

we’re talking about the kid circled in the picture I posted, no one can seem to ID him. Maybe he’s a neighbor of the Starks’ that only got introduced in a deleted scene.
I see a circle around a completely empty area.
Though I'm sure we can keep this joke going for a while I feel I must explain my thought process here.
Peter Parker has been erased from everyone's memory. For this to work in the long term way that the film seems to imply, all traces of Peter Parker existing must be removed from any method of record keeping, be it physical or digital. Defeats the purpose of a spell that's suppose to erase all memory of him, only for someone to google "Spider-Man" and get the millions of "PETER PARKER IS SPIDER-MAN!" twitter hits that would have been created by then.

Last edited:
Peter Parker has been erased from everyone's memory. For this to work in the long term way that the film seems to imply, all traces of Peter Parker existing must be removed from any method of record keeping, be it physical or digital. Defeats the purpose of a spell that's suppose to erase all memory of him, only for someone to google "Spider-Man" and get the millions of "PETER PARKER IS SPIDER-MAN!" twitter hits that would have been created by then.
That is kind of implied due to it being magic. Best similar example I can give from another franchise was in Harry Potter when Hermione erased the memory of her existence from her parents to protect them, and the minute she used the spell her image faded out of family photographs. It's likely the same thing, with anything anywhere even implying the existence of Peter Parker just vanishing into thin air.