[Brazelton] Sprint/Nextel Corporation

Official as of today, T-Mobile has merged with (i.e., "gobbled up") Sprint, reducing the number of big players in telecommunications from 4 to 3. T-Mobile says that Sprint logos and suchlike will just be phased out over time as they are replaced. Plans, service, etc. are supposed to remain unchanged for at least three years, but we will see how that goes. T-Mobile says that this will allow them to provide 5G service to as much as 99 percent of the America population by 2026 with a minimum data speed of 50Mb/s even in rural areas. I don't know how they're going to do this, but at least T-Mobile's customer service will be better than Sprint's, right? I guess this means we're not in Kansas any more*.

So that means we now have 3 major carriers in the USA:
AT&T - HQ'd in Dallas, TX
Verizon - HQ'd in NYC
T-Mobile - HQ'd in Bonn, Germany (it's a subsidiary of Deutsche Telekom AG).

--Patrick
*Sprint's HQ was in KS.

Dave

Staff member
We had Virgin Mobile and got moved forcibly over to Boost Mobile last month. We've rolled with it since it costs the same and has all the same features. Plus when (if!) we get our vacation in July it has better coverage.

Update on this whole thing. Merger is finalized except for in California, which was not scheduled to hold its vote until April 16.
But that's ok because Sprint/T-Mobile say that California does not have jurisdiction over wireless transactions, so they can go ahead with it.

--Patrick

I might actually look into switching after I move to Kansas, I'll have to see how my AT&T connection turns out.