[PC Game] Starcraft 2: Legacy of the Void

So.....anyone still remember there's a third part coming? It's finally closing in, with the beta widening and pre-orders open.

Anyone still interested in how the story turns out?

Anyone still remember what it was all about, anyway?

Anyone?

*crickets*

Oh well. Anyway, the Collectors' Edition literally only holds stuff for other Blizz games (pets, mounts, card backs) and multiplayer stuff (unit skins and portraits), so there's an easy choice for me, at least.

And hey, only €39.99 for this part, €10 down from the last two!

For those waiting 'till all three were released to buy them in one pack, it's now available at €59.99 (I assume $59.99 as well).

Last edited:
I'll buy the collectors' edition to round out my collectors' edition set, and then I'll buy the GOTY version or whatever to play.

--Patrick

Pre-ordered the cheap one for all the reasons above. Played through the "prequel" campaign.

Nice.

As with others, suck at multiplayer, so will just be waiting for the campaign.

Haven't played through the prequel yet. Bit saddened by just 3x2 new units, but I understand they want to keep the balance for multiplayer sacred. Hope for lots of nice upgrades/varieties in SP though.

I'll probably be pre-ordering this weekend. It's sad, but I'll be getting the digital deluxe edition primarily for the HOTS mount.

I'll probably be pre-ordering this weekend. It's sad, but I'll be getting the digital deluxe edition primarily for the HOTS mount.
Damnit, don't say that... I'm trying to avoid that, but I need my mount collection. It still bothers me that I don't have the golden cyberwolf, because I got an actual beta invite and had no reason to do the buy-in.

Most of the way through the campaign. I like how you can customize which units to use, but I wish that you could see a preview of whom your up against next, THEN preview, as some are clearly better vs zerg, terran, or protoss. I've only re-started once because of it, since I'm apparently guessing pretty well, but still, can be a bit annoying.

They're also doing that thing where some upgrades to your army are mutually exclusive for no reason. For example, probeless gas and everything warps in. I want BOTH people!

I've....almost finished the first mission. Damn you, illness causing my girlfriend to stay at home so I didn't have my free day to play this :p (also because it's no fun when my GF's sick, mind you :p)

Man, I found most of LoV pretty easy, but then they throw the end at you and the difficulty intensifies. Not that I'm surprised. Just annoyed that it didn't really feel like a ramp up.

Man, I found most of LoV pretty easy, but then they throw the end at you and the difficulty intensifies. Not that I'm surprised. Just annoyed that it didn't really feel like a ramp up.
The hardest mission IMO was the one where you have to help the guy with the duel. Really f'n annoying IMO. The last two of the regular campaign weren't bad IMO.

I'm in the epilogue. Only one mission through. The first was fairly fun.

On another late-game note though, I hate how they make the "void" type mobs not mind-controllable. Dark Archons rock, and you're disabling a huge amount of their utility by disabling it against half the enemy mobs late-game (at least).

The hardest mission IMO was the one where you have to help the guy with the duel. Really f'n annoying IMO. The last two of the regular campaign weren't bad IMO.

I'm in the epilogue. Only one mission through. The first was fairly fun.

On another late-game note though, I hate how they make the "void" type mobs not mind-controllable. Dark Archons rock, and you're disabling a huge amount of their utility by disabling it against half the enemy mobs late-game (at least).
I thought the Duel mission was annoying at first. To solve that problem, I used Sentinel zealots so if they died they could just come back. As long as I kept them next to the leader, he wouldn't be pushed back. I used that time to build up my void rays. If it got to the point where I was being attacked by aerial units, I would use orbital strike on them. Once I had enough void rays, the rest of the mission was simple.

I thought the Duel mission was annoying at first. To solve that problem, I used Sentinel zealots so if they died they could just come back. As long as I kept them next to the leader, he wouldn't be pushed back. I used that time to build up my void rays. If it got to the point where I was being attacked by aerial units, I would use orbital strike on them. Once I had enough void rays, the rest of the mission was simple.
When I go back for the achievements I missed I'll try that. Seems like a good strategy. At least I got 100% of the solarite the whole game.

On that note though, I wish they gave you more solarite, but I understand to a certain degree why they don't.

But still. More pew-pew = good.

I built a turret area in the road so that I could run off and get distracted by other things without worrying about him losing.

I built a turret area in the road so that I could run off and get distracted by other things without worrying about him losing.
I did that. Then enough stuff came to stomp the turrets. Yes, THAT many mobs came after him/it/stuff

About the ending

I was completely wrong about the ending. I thought for sure Jim and/or Kerrigan were going to make the heroic sacrifice. In a way Kerrigan did, but not really.

Man, I never realized John de Lancie could sound so menacing. The way he inflects while Alarak walks around just gives the character such gravity. I guess I am just so used to him as Q.

Man, I never realized John de Lancie could sound so menacing. The way he inflects while Alarak walks around just gives the character such gravity. I guess I am just so used to him as Q.
Oh yes he can.
He would be a good choice to cast as Loki if you want that "I'm having such a good time making sure you are having a bad one" sort of tone.

--Patrick

Ya @Dei, I agree about the ending.
I was pretty sure another main character was going to bite it. Especially another Protoss during the campaign itself.

I'm a bit disappointed, and yet I see why they had the end of the Protoss campaign not "really" being the end. Because it so wasn't. I liked that it was one faction per mission, though I really had to re-grow some of my neurons to remember how to play each of the other factions, since I hadn't played them in a while! It worked out just fine though. I was more than a bit disappointed that the protoss was so porous in the "Defend Kerrigan" mission though. Like REALLY porous. The Zerg did OK for the most part, with only some minor support necessary, but the Protoss dies on the first big push if you aren't almost as much there as at your own defense points.

So did Jim ascend with Sarah then? Or something? That's generally what walking into the light does, but I thought I'd ask for others' opinions.
One very minor but not putting it in spoilers quibble: where the hell is the Protoss ship that you take over in the Zerg campaign? Your last command to that queen was to "slaughter the Protoss" and the ship was on its way to Aiur. I was certain we'd see that again. I don't have a huge problem with the idea that Kerrigan did NOT forget about it and just contacted her later in-person to stop it and rescue them, but it was still an obvious "vs zerg" mission that was just left hanging IMO.

Ya @Dei, I agree about the ending.
I was pretty sure another main character was going to bite it. Especially another Protoss during the campaign itself.

I'm a bit disappointed, and yet I see why they had the end of the Protoss campaign not "really" being the end. Because it so wasn't. I liked that it was one faction per mission, though I really had to re-grow some of my neurons to remember how to play each of the other factions, since I hadn't played them in a while! It worked out just fine though. I was more than a bit disappointed that the protoss was so porous in the "Defend Kerrigan" mission though. Like REALLY porous. The Zerg did OK for the most part, with only some minor support necessary, but the Protoss dies on the first big push if you aren't almost as much there as at your own defense points.

So did Jim ascend with Sarah then? Or something? That's generally what walking into the light does, but I thought I'd ask for others' opinions.
One very minor but not putting it in spoilers quibble: where the hell is the Protoss ship that you take over in the Zerg campaign? Your last command to that queen was to "slaughter the Protoss" and the ship was on its way to Aiur. I was certain we'd see that again. I don't have a huge problem with the idea that Kerrigan did NOT forget about it and just contacted her later in-person to stop it and rescue them, but it was still an obvious "vs zerg" mission that was just left hanging IMO.
I was kinda surprised too.

I'm having a huuuuuuuugggeeee problem with the Terran section of the epilogue. Argh. I;ve tried everything from bunkers to battlecruisers. I've played every mission on hard up till now, and the only other mission aside from this one to give me trouble is the final pre-epilogue mission. How did you guys do it?

I'm having a huuuuuuuugggeeee problem with the Terran section of the epilogue. Argh. I;ve tried everything from bunkers to battlecruisers. I've played every mission on hard up till now, and the only other mission aside from this one to give me trouble is the final pre-epilogue mission. How did you guys do it?
I play on normal, so I'd just say to not be afraid of "pausing" the completion timer. Use as necessary for the big mobs like ultralisks, carriers, BCs, etc. Heck, there's an achievement for using it 60 times.

Other than that, make sure your walls are good. Supply depots in front, bunkers BEHIND them, not right in front. Siege tanks, with turrets for the air. The turrets DO appear to have the enhanced range. All backed up by SCVs repairing, as well as SCIENCE VESSELS because they repair mechanical units. Overall I'd do a mech-heavy build with SVs, as they will act as healing, getting more out of your units. One idea could be to go with a lot of vikings and/or wraiths as your "air fast response" option. Let your tanks do the anti-ground work, with your air moving around as needed.

One last thing: remember to point your tanks at the enemy tanks. The stupid things were getting killed by enemy tanks while they were firing on things hitting my wall. Hit the enemy the bunker can NOT you idiots!

I know that's general advice, but I hope it's useful.

Yeah I abused the fuck out of the death laser.

I was really annoyed at the protoss camp. All I did for the Zerg was give then some siege tanks, but the damn Protoss camp occupied all my attention. Also Artanis kept charging out into the open by himself to face waves by himself so I just let him die. [emoji14]