[Question] Suggestions for something to read at a wedding?

So I have a younger sister getting married in April. She's asked me, her big bro, to do a reading at her wedding ceremony. It can be a poem, a section from a book, song lyrics, etc, anything, as long as it's appropriate for a fairly formal wedding.

Originally she suggested I read Shakespeare's Sonnet 116:

Let me not to the marriage of true minds
Admit impediments. Love is not love
Which alters when it alteration finds,
Or bends with the remover to remove:
O no! It is an ever-fixèd mark
That looks on tempests and is never shaken;
It is the star to every wandering bark,
Whose worth's unknown, although his height be taken.
Love's not Time's fool, though rosy lips and cheeks
Within his bending sickle's compass come:
Love alters not with his brief hours and weeks,
But bears it out even to the edge of doom.
If this be error and upon me proved,
I never writ, nor no man ever loved.

However, this thing's read at pretty much every wedding, she says, so she's wondering if I might want to read something different.

So, Halforumites, any suggestions on what I can read at my sister's wedding?

How long does it need to be?

One of my favorite 'talks' about love is from 'Captain Corelli's Mandolin'. But, it's not very funny and is pretty sappy. (I'm showing my true colors ya'll - I'm a total sap.)

“Love is a temporary madness. It erupts like an earthquake and then subsides. And when it subsides you have to make a decision. You have to work out whether your roots have become so entwined together that it is inconceivable that you should ever part. Because this is what love is. Love is not breathlessness, it is not excitement, it is not the promulgation of promises of eternal passion. That is just being "in love" which any of us can convince ourselves we are. Love itself is what is left over when being in love has burned away, and this is both an art and a fortunate accident. Your mother and I had it, we had roots that grew towards each other underground, and when all the pretty blossom had fallen from our branches we found that we were one tree and not two.”
Louis de Bernières, Captain Corelli's Mandolin

My favorite line is bolded.

(Wow, I didn't know but apparently it's a movie too? I thought it was just a book?)[DOUBLEPOST=1393601308,1393601248][/DOUBLEPOST]If this isn't satisfactory, I'll keep looking! :D

Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse… but you take a boat in the air that you don't love… she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down… tells you she's hurting before she keels. Makes her a home. – Malcolm Reynolds

If it's a Catholic wedding, bring something heavy. Maybe War & Peace. If its something by a judge, you'll be lucky to get through a pamphlet. Really, it depends on how long you expect the whole "you're in love and blah blah blah lifelong commitment blah blah blah" thing to go on. Just fill a Kindle and be ready for anything.

Wait, I'm going by the thread title having not read the OP. Am I answering the right question?

I'll see if I can't dig up our vows. I still have them in a text file somewhere. They're not very Catholic, but they're formal enough. And sappy.

--Patrick

If it's a Catholic wedding, bring something heavy. Maybe War & Peace. If its something by a judge, you'll be lucky to get through a pamphlet. Really, it depends on how long you expect the whole "you're in love and blah blah blah lifelong commitment blah blah blah" thing to go on. Just fill a Kindle and be ready for anything.

Wait, I'm going by the thread title having not read the OP. Am I answering the right question?
I came to make the exact same joke. Oh well. Boooooh!

In my experience, Catholic ceremonies are shorter than other denominations. Then again, I might just have had succinct Catholic priests as a child.

To Be One With Each Other
By George Eliot
What greater thing is there for two human souls than to feel that they are joined
together to strengthen each other in all labor, to minister to each other in all sorrow,
to share with each other in all gladness, to be one with each other in the silent
unspoken memories?

Maybe it's the beer talking Marge, but you got a butt that won't quit. they got those big chewy pretzels here merJanthfgrr five dollars??!!!? get outta here

In my experience, Catholic ceremonies are shorter than other denominations. Then again, I might just have had succinct Catholic priests as a child.
The reputation about long Catholic weddings is when they perform Mass and Communion at the wedding.

sixpackshaker said:
The reputation about long Catholic weddings is when they perform Mass and Communion at the wedding.
Again, I've been to two hour long ceremonies, but the Catholic ones have been 45 min tops, and I come from an area where you always do Mass and Communion. Like I said, I guess I grew up with succinct priests.

Again, I've been to two hour long ceremonies, but the Catholic ones have been 45 min tops, and I come from an area where you always do Mass and Communion. Like I said, I guess I grew up with succinct priests.
Or a priest that passes out the communion wafers faster than a Poker Dealer.

Necronic

Staff member
“Love is a temporary madness. It erupts like an earthquake and then subsides. And when it subsides you have to make a decision. You have to work out whether your roots have become so entwined together that it is inconceivable that you should ever part. Because this is what love is. Love is not breathlessness, it is not excitement, it is not the promulgation of promises of eternal passion. That is just being "in love" which any of us can convince ourselves we are. Love itself is what is left over when being in love has burned away, and this is both an art and a fortunate accident. Your mother and I had it, we had roots that grew towards each other underground, and when all the pretty blossom had fallen from our branches we found that we were one tree and not two.”
Louis de Bernières, Captain Corelli's Mandolin
This is an excellent quote. I've said the same thing about the roots once to my gf. We had a pretty bad fight and she thought I might leave and I said that no matter how mad I was there was no way I could because our roots had grown together.