[TV] Talk about the last TV you watched, the catchall thread

As a panacea to my wife, we have subscribed to Paramount Plus (fka CBS All-Access) - mostly so she could get her Big Brother jones on.

I knew what I was getting myself into, as I'm all too aware what else is a CBS-Viacom-Paramount property. I've only been able to watch an episode and a half of a certain series on the Lower Decks...

...and I'm really liking it, TBH.
I was really worried about Lower Decks, but then they started making jokes that only longtime fans would get. It's worth a look.

I just watched 90 Day Fiance with my fiancee. It's a strangely engaging show, although some of the Eastern European women show the mail-order bride stereotype exists for a reason.

I tried to watch Vikings season 5 after enjoying the show throughout it's run but holy shit did it turn from interesting historical drama and trippy visuals and amazing music into shitty Game of Thrones with sing song accents.

Season 5 is fucking unwatchable. Ivar is legit one of the most unwatchable characters in the history of TV. Nothing he does makes sense and yet it works flawlessly every time. They won a battle climbing ladders two by two into the middle of armed of soldiers. HE WAS LITERALLY STANDING IN PLAIN SIGHT ABOVE FIGHTING WHERE BOWS WERE INVOLVED GIGGLING LIKE A PSYCHOPATH and not one person thought, hey, maybe shoot him with the thousands of bows and spears we're all poorly fighting each other with.

That’s where I quit watching too. I’ve been meaning to pick it up again just to say I finished it. Not sure it’s worth it though.

I started from the beginning and got to enjoy all the weirdness. The episode where they all travel to the big festival where Aethelstan was going to be offered as a sacrifice, fantastic TV. The episode where Ivar says nothing coherent, giggles and grins and somehow has everyone following him followed by people literally spending 3 episodes doing nothing but talking about betraying each other? The absolute drizzling shits.

figmentPez

Staff member
Having finished Star Trek: TNG, I've moved on to DS9, my favorite Star Trek series.

I like how the series was willing to make retcons in order to better serve the story. DS9 made Ferengi far more interesting than TNG ever managed to, but I have to wonder what might have happened if Ferengi had been approached differently from the start, and never relegated to the role of comic relief snake oil salesmen.

TNG tried to introduce them as a new warrior race to replace the Klingons as a violent threat to the Federation, but that whole angle fell completely flat. I realize it could never have happened this way at the time, but what if the Ferengi had been competent businessmen from the start. They could have been the only thing more terrifying than space-warriors... They could have been space-capitalists. The Dominion, only instead of having enslaved other races, they had made them financially-beholden. A military-industrial-prison complex led by rich businessmen who sound very reasonable on the surface. Trading in not just technology and goods, but culture and entertainment. Have them spread disinformation that makes the border colonies question if the Federation has their best interests at heart.

Honestly, I find the idea terrifying. Probably because a realistic future might end up with humans being that civilization to a space Federation we meet.

Elon Musk's Mars Colonization idea is already "Perpetual Indentured Servitude to anyone who isn't rich/smart/important enough to be invited by him." He really thinks it's fair to give people impossible to pay off loans to go to Mars and work for him.

Elon Musk's Mars Colonization idea is already "Perpetual Indentured Servitude to anyone who isn't rich/smart/important enough to be invited by him." He really thinks it's fair to give people impossible to pay off loans to go to Mars and work for him.
Well, that's 75% of what America was founded on - slaves and indentured servants. Why change a winning formula?

This sounds like a great premise for a video game.

These sad saps. They come to Mars thinking they're gonna be captains of industry, but they all forget that somebody's gotta scrub the toilets. What an angle they gave me... I hand these mugs a cot and a bowl of soup, and they give me their lives. Who needs an army when I got Fonatine's Biodome for the Poor?

I've started watching The Crown.

Very nice drama, everything is so posh and grandiose, yet also petty and silly.

Also Claire Foy is hot. Vanessa Kirby is also hot.

I like how they aren't naming Biyalak the host, because she was so transparently only hired for the stuff they don't care about to distract people from him getting the job.