[TV] Talk about the last TV you watched, the catchall thread

It has issues, but it was perfectly watchable. I'd imagine if I read the books I would be bothered, but my friend (who has read all the books multiple times) showed me a Reddit post by Brandon Sanderson explaining why things were the way the way they were. The Mat actor left before the show was done, so he had to be hurriedly written out (to be recast for season 2) and time constraints required so much to be Tom Bombadil'd out. He also talked about how having the whole crew at the Eye of the World while Rand did his thing would have made for terrible TV, so they had to find things for everyone else to do.

It sounds like Wheel of Time is just really, really hard to adapt but I think they did a better adaptation than for example, Cowboy Bebop, which manages to cut out the soul of the show (poverty is no longer an issue, ACAB has been thrown out the window, etc).
See, I disagree, I actually found Cowboy Bebop watchable and somewhat enjoyable if I thought of it as a separate thing. WoT just made me angry from start to finish.

I enjoyed the 1st episode of BoBF. It established where he is, what’s happening, and gives some background on where he’s been. Looking forward to where this series is going and what story they want to tell.
I am a huge Boba Fett fan, but not one that gonna gripe about every deviation from what was written in expanded universe times and was set aside to allow the current creators create and not be tied to some questionable decisions made in the past.

Watched the first episode of The Book of Boba Fett and I honestly didn't care for it.

I'm probably in the minority that never cared about Fett. Yeah, his armor makes him looks like a badass, but he was a total jobber chump in the movies. And I didn't care about him appearing in The Mandalorian, either.

And this first episode was just dull, honestly. I can't recall, but did they ever explain why Fett wanted to go back to Jabba's palace and take over? I'm pretty sure it wasn't in Mandalorian and it's sure as hell not explained here. So there's no reason for me to care why he's doing any of this. The constant flashbacks to fill in the gap after his fate in Return in the Jedi were slow and didn't make me feel any more invested.

I think part of the problem with this show is there's no interesting hook. It's just Fett doing stuff, and with little explanation on his motivations.

The Mandalorian, on the other hand, started with an immediate motivation: hired to retrieve a McGuffin. And then that McGuffin is revealed to be...Baby Yoda, later named Grogu. And not only was "Baby Yoda" an instant new merchandise machine, but it was an interesting hook with unlimited potential. Especially since we know nothing of Yoda's species. Plus, it created a unique set up in this badass bounty hunter carrying around this tiny creature (admittedly, the set up is similar to Lone Wolf & Cub, but it works). It was an instantly iconic duo.

And none of that is in Boba Fett. It almost feels like they're trying to coast off the brand of Fett himself, figuring Star Wars geeks will tune in anyway because it's Boba Fett.

I kept expecting the torture robot to scream "FATHHEEEERRRRRRRR!!!!!" and "God damn these electric sex pants!" during The Book of Boba Fett.

Not sure I’m buying in to this good guy boba. Not everyone needs to be an anti-hero that has a sad story to make you want to root for them. Let’s just have a bad guy be a bad guy, and tell that story.

The plot is a bit slow and I'm not as invested as I would like to be. Today's episode was a little more engaging than past ones but it still lacks something for me.
That being said the world building, effects, and just general lore is absolutely amazing. It's really nice to get a much more leisurely pace at seeing the world of Star Wars in action. All the creatures, technology and just general day-to-day workings of everything is quite enjoyable to watch. I appreciate that they use practical effects whenever possible, even for various aliens such as the Ithorians, Pikes and even the Rancor in up close shots. The Hutts even looked fantastic which is a nice change of pace from Jabba's appearances in the prequels and special edition. And the Hutts are a good example of the detail they have put into this show: such as their platform sagging under their weight. Little things that they didn't have to add but they did anyway just for the hell of it like recreating Toshe Station and bringing back Laze and Cassie from deleted scenes from A New Hope. I also appreciate them including Black Krrsantan as a character, though it looks like they are giving him a bit of a different history for canon. And honestly they cast Danny Trejo as a Rancor Keeper. That has to be some of the most perfect casting I have ever seen in Star Wars. One minor gripe I've had, and have had since they were featured in The Mandalorian, are their new designs for Gamorreans (the pig-like guards). The ROTJ guards were bigger and also featured larger jowels, tusks, and more alien features than the new designs. This is primarily due to the originals being full masks while the new ones appear to be mostly prosthetics applied directly to the actors. I miss the armor the originals had too. For some reason the new design prefers them going full Captain Kirk with their shirts off all the time.
I'm looking forward to more episodes.

figmentPez

Staff member

Honestly, I like this idea. It has great comic potential. Daniel's ego will not be able to handle Mr. Miyagi having another student that he didn't know about. I hope they can get Hillary Swank for Cobra Kai.

Oh, and Cobra Kai season 4 was fantastic. Everyone on this show is an idiot in very entertaining ways.

I liked the latest episode of Boba Fett. I still don't understand why he wants to be a crime boss at all, but the struggles to maintain that position in this episode are interesting. The big brawl with the bounty hunter was fun as hell and I hope we see that character back.

I liked the latest episode of Boba Fett. I still don't understand why he wants to be a crime boss at all, but the struggles to maintain that position in this episode are interesting. The big brawl with the bounty hunter was fun as hell and I hope we see that character back.
I agree about the crime boss thing, but my only guess would be he's taking the position
to make up for his slaughtered, adopted Tuskian family. They're pretty heavy-handed in reminding us he never got over feeling abandonned by Jango. If he's the crime boss, than more can't be killed by gang violence/turf wars. ...Basically making him the anti-Anakin.

Star Wars has flimsiplast and durasheets, both of which exist as functional paper. There just isn't a lot of NEED for it beyond temporary messages when electronic storage is so cheap.
Sure, in expanded lore they have those, and in the new trilogy the ancient Jedi texts are written in an actual paper book, but I'm pretty sure he was referring to the design decision George Lucas made in the original trilogy that he wanted them to be a paperless universe, and prop designers were you keep that in mind

Got 22 minutes into the first EP of Boba Fett before I said "fuck this noise" and turned it off. Here are my impressions from that limited viewing.

• Fett in the sarlacc: Sure he got out, but then he tunnels through the sand? Do you know how much sand weighs? There's no way his hand would just pop out like that. He shoulda came out of its mouth. Admittedly, a nitpic, so I let it stand for the cinematic drama of it.
  • First 20-30% of the show: Dramatic music with Fett laying down and not moving, or being dragged on the ground. So exciting. But hey, there were a couple of minutes of staggered walking there.
  • First fight with the sand people: Excitement! But for a seasoned bounty hunter, Fett is a shit fighter.
  • Fett as crime lord: "I'm a kinder, gentler crime lord..." Then how the fuck did you rise to that position?
  • Fett in town, ambushed: This is where I turned it off. The fight scene was so slow and boring and badly choreographed and the fighting tactics made no sense.

There was literally nothing in that 22 minutes that I enjoyed.

Just watched the first two episodes of How I Met Your Father. It's okay. The characters are largely one-note so far, but they're not bad. There's no Neil Patrick Harris level actor to carry everything. But the cast is more diverse and the set up for the "father" is different enough.

Also, no transphobic jokes so far, so that's one thing it does better than HIMYM.

Last edited:
Finished the latest (last?) season of search party. This show began as a comedy/mystery type show and 5 seasons later has turned into ludicrousness. It’s still a fun watch with some crazy guest roles. All seasons are on HBO Max is anyone feels like giving it a go.