[TV] Talk about the last TV you watched, the catchall thread

Don't let the subtlety of the message distract from the story essentially, lest the message become the story.

Dude you're an archer, what the fuck are you doing crawling into a tunnel alone?!
That was really dumb.

Watched Rings of Power. I like it. There was a lot going on, but it didn't feel overly complicated. The characters are interesting and likable (and the casting is a non-issue). I am not into First/Second Age, so no idea how close to canon things are, but so far, everything fits as a prequel to LOTR.

Watched episode 3 of Rings of Power. The next big names and important characters are introduced. There are some head scratching moments but overall still a fine watch. Right know I have three characters who can be Sauron.

Oh, and it's still no problem that there are non white characters in the show. What a surprise.

Frozen Planet II

Emperor penguin chicks mountaineering & tobogganing to the sea, hooded seals blowing up their left nostril like a big red balloon to impress the ladies, and the world's grumpiest chonkiest cat.

David Attenborough isn't just a national treasure, he's a flipping global treasure!

I love the Karate Kid universe. The whole valley is obsessed with karate. Most of the McDojos died off by the mid-90s but they’re still going strong in that world.

GasBandit

Staff member
On a whim, started watching a Netflix original series called "Russian Doll." It's actually pretty interesting, sort of a live action Re:Zero meets The Good Place with a dash of Final Destination thrown in. But it's a continuous story arc, not episodic, so it's a lot more engrossing.

Basically, a Jewish-Hungarian New Yorker discovers that every time she dies, she is immediately returned to the moment where she was in the bathroom at her 38th birthday party. Sounds like it could almost be a sweet deal, right? Except the universe seems determined to make sure she dies as soon as possible.

It's also got some other interesting twists that are slightly spoilery -

After a few deaths, things start to change. For example, all animals cease to exist. Fruit seems to continue to age and rot so that a bowl of oranges that was fresh on the first time loop is moldy and shriveling at that same point on the 10th time loop. This adds a sort of sense of urgency and underlying menace that applies pressure to figure out what's going on and how to stop it.

Also it turns out she's not the only one dying - another man she had never met until that night is also dying and starting over from that exact moment, and they always die at the same exact moment.

Also has some good bits about dealing with childhood trauma, mental illness, and bad relationships.

On a whim, started watching a Netflix original series called "Russian Doll." It's actually pretty interesting, sort of a live action Re:Zero meets The Good Place with a dash of Final Destination thrown in. But it's a continuous story arc, not episodic, so it's a lot more engrossing.

Basically, a Jewish-Hungarian New Yorker discovers that every time she dies, she is immediately returned to the moment where she was in the bathroom at her 38th birthday party. Sounds like it could almost be a sweet deal, right? Except the universe seems determined to make sure she dies as soon as possible.

It's also got some other interesting twists that are slightly spoilery -

After a few deaths, things start to change. For example, all animals cease to exist. Fruit seems to continue to age and rot so that a bowl of oranges that was fresh on the first time loop is moldy and shriveling at that same point on the 10th time loop. This adds a sort of sense of urgency and underlying menace that applies pressure to figure out what's going on and how to stop it.

Also it turns out she's not the only one dying - another man she had never met until that night is also dying and starting over from that exact moment, and they always die at the same exact moment.

Also has some good bits about dealing with childhood trauma, mental illness, and bad relationships.
I've really enjoyed seasons 1 and 2. It's kinda a fun, yet dark universe they've created.

I'm about to watch the latest episode of Rings of Power. Facebook keeps putting Rings of Power announcements on my wall. That's pretty cool, but then I saw the fanboys are still whining about how the show has disrespected "the professor." And oh, em, gee, those profile pictures are something else. Sickly pale skin, scraggly beards, and the intellectual "Thinking Man" pose. That pose compensates for the absence of a chin.

I'm a history professor who plays with Legos and gets unduly excited over an upcoming documentary about the history of British mealtimes during the 18th century. Even I feel like shoving them into a locker. Unfortunately, most schools around here don't have lockers anymore. So I have half a mind to enroll in a vocational school, get certified in metalworking, and build a functional locker just so I can shove them into it.

I was thinking that a small farming village cannot sustain losses like that. They’d either need an influx of new settlers or move to somewhere else.

The show is really inconsequent with numbers. The size of the ork army change from episode to episode for example. Same with distances and time. I have no idea if the events happen at the same time or are days or month apart.

I had high hopes for the show, but it seems to be going downhill fast. I wasn’t expecting a faithful adaptation of Tolkien’s work, it has nothing to do with that. Everything just feels forced. The only scenes that I really enjoy are the ones with Elrond and Durin.

Sometimes I think Galadriel is something of a Mary Sue, but then I remember Legolas surfing on an Uruk-Hai shield, taking down an olyphaunt single-handed, and jumping over falling masonry like Mega Man. I guess it's an Elf thing.

I definitely enjoy the scenes with Elrond and Durin's family. It's an immersive look at Dwarven family life with Elrond as an observant guest. I get shades of Alexis de Tocqueville's travel accounts of life in 1830s America.

Hey @ThatNickGuy and everyone else (self included) who worked at a Blockbuster at some point your life.

This looks remarkably bland but I wonder how much true to life shit it will include.

AND seriously bizarre that it takes place now. At least set it between like 2005-2010 or something.

Hey @ThatNickGuy and everyone else (self included) who worked at a Blockbuster at some point your life.

This looks remarkably bland but I wonder how much true to life shit it will include.

AND seriously bizarre that it takes place now. At least set it between like 2005-2010 or something.
Oh cool, they got the guy who played Jim in The Office.

And yeah, the setting is weird. I don't know how this will play, but I doubt it'll be anything great.

Still enjoying Rings of Power. I think they're doing fine. There were parts that did seem to drag somewhat (mostly with the Southland town) and I can understand the feeling others have of it being forced. It felt like they had a story for the Southland at the beginning (to introduce them) and at the end (for when their home becomes Mordor), but had to push them along in the middle to give them screen time. Elrond and Durin have become my favorite part of the show (along with Durin's wife, Disa). I'm loving this part. I wasn't sure about the actor for Elrond at first, but he's really grown on me. Still enjoying the Harfoot story, too.

Really enjoying Andor. It's doing a good job of showing the lead-up to the full Rebellion (they're in the same timeframe as Rebels--maybe we'll get some crossovers? An Agent Kallus cameo, since they're showing Imperial Security?)

Welcome to Wrexham. It started out with a lot of Rob McElhenney and Ryan Reynolds, but gradually the show has become more focused on the team and town. Which is a good thing--as much as I like Rob & Ryan, Wrexham is the real star. It's a good underdog story, and the best part is that they don't try to manufacture drama like other reality shows. When there is drama, it's just presented as is and dealt with (or not). I never thought I'd care about a Welsh football team, but I've been checking the scores every week and cheering them on.

The Rings of Power Episode 8 season finale

-The Stranger is most likely Gandalf

- Halbrand is Sauron

- The three rings for the elfs are forged

I guess season two will be about the seven rings for the dwarfs and season three about the nine rings for the humans.

All silliness aside, Liam Neeson returns for the final episode, says no words and gives a master class in acting for 20 seconds.

And on to today, Doctor Who...

"What...."

Since I can finally enjoy spooky season now, I am watching Midnight Mass. It’s in the same world as Hill House and Bly Manor. I’m impressed with the two episodes I’ve seen, although the cat-lover in me finds a couple scenes hard to watch.