Tattoo questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
For a few years now, I've really wanted to get a tattoo of some sort. It would obviously be something small and easily-hidden, but I really think it would be awesome to get one. The biggest thing that stood in the way of me was my ex. He said tats on women are disgusting and he'd break up with me if I ever got one, so for years, I didn't. Now that we're broken up, my desire to get one is even stronger than before -- if anything, almost as a "fuck you" to him.

Now, I have three questions for you all:

For those of you who don't have tattoos:
1) If you saw a girl with a geek/video game tattoo, would you think she was totally ridiculous to the point where it could potentially be a deal-breaker? My asshole ex aside, I'd like to hear the general opinion on this.

For those of you who do:
2) How much does a quality tattoo generally cost? I doubt it would be more than 3 in x 3 in, and probably would be b&w. I'm not worried about the pain factor, but I'd like to know how much you paid before I start trying to figure out where I'm going.

For everyone:
3) Any good ideas of things to permanently ink on my body? :D I'll probably get it on my upper back near one of my shoulders--it's one of the areas that'll be least affected when I get pregnant. I'm leaning toward either a Hylian crest/Triforce or a Gears Cog. But if you guys have any other ideas, I'd love to hear them.

I think a small tasteful symbol would be a turn-on more than anything. Triforce to me fits that equation, but then again, I'm a Zelda nut.

As for cost, it varies wildly depending on who does it, where the tattoo is, how big it is, whether it's color/b&w, and how detailed you want it. Do a bit of research around the area, especially asking people who already have tats (I'm not one of them), see who does a good job. That's really more important than anything, IMO, is to make sure the tat is well done.

Shannow

Staff member
If you do not know what you want, that is a pretty sure sign not to get one yet. Just getting one for its own sake isnt usually the best of ideas.

As for cost, varies greatly, based on size, time, artist, etc.

1) If you saw a girl with a geek/video game tattoo, would you think she was totally ridiculous to the point where it could potentially be a deal-breaker? My asshole ex aside, I'd like to hear the general opinion on this.
Personally, I feel most body mods of any kind on anyone are generally unattractive, though people here will probably completely disagree with me.

Also, since it's so soon since you broke up with your ex, I'd say give yourself a few months of thought on this... if you're really getting the tattoo to say "fuck you" to the ex you might regret it not long after your feelings cool down.

Personally, I feel most body mods of any kind on anyone are generally unattractive, though people here will probably completely disagree with me.

Also, since it's so soon since you broke up with your ex, I'd say give yourself a few months of thought on this... if you're really getting the tattoo to say "fuck you" to the ex you might regret it not long after your feelings cool down.[/QUOTE]

Oh, I've wanted one for quite awhile. This is just the push I needed to actually go and get one done.

1) really depends on the tattoo. A Gears cog on the shoulderblade would be awesome. I giant Mario on your face, not so much.
2) a 3x3 shouldn't be that much, but it depends on how detailed it is, and what things go for in your local tattoo scene. Probably $75-100ish, give or take.
3) both those tats sound pretty awesome, if you ask me, though I like the Hylian crest better

Cajungal

Staff member
There are a few types of tattoos that genuinely irritate me--like someone's name written on the top of their foot (in case they forget it, I suppose?), Japanese characters, butterflies...

But I think that geeky tattoos are cute! Small, discreet reflections of people's interests are fun. Sure, they'll all look like creepy, amorphous nothing by the time we're 70, but it'll also be a fun memory to look back on even when you can't recognize it. :p I agree with Shannow, that you should think about what you want specifically before going in.

Other geeky, recognizable, simple designs: Pac-man/Ms. Pac-man, 1up mushroom, Samus screw-attack symbol :)eyebrows:), HALO symbol, Zelda hearts (I've seen one tat with two full hearts and one half-broken heart in the Zelda style...pretty nice)

Cajungal

Staff member
Another thought I had--I'm sure the "fuck you" to the ex is not your primary reason to do this, but if you feel like it might be, that's another good reason to wait.

oh, and to quote Piotyr, defintiely ask around for a quality place. I've had tats done by little strip joint places, and I've had tats done by 'big name' parlors in Houston (Shaws for instance). You definitely want to go with a place with a bigger reputation.

---------- Post added at 02:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:29 PM ----------

some tattoos....too geeky.

Cajungal

Staff member
If you lived anywhere near here, I'd totally send you to my brother-in-law--one of the most trusted in the area, AND he's well-known for his original designs. People go to him specifically when they want something really different but are not sure what.

/shameless bragging on relatives

R

RocketGirl

Gosh, I hope not. One of my five tattoos is the Rebel Alliance insignia from Star Wars, so there'z a chance I'm in trouble if that's the case...

In my world, geeky tats are a plus, but...I'm a freak, so...

For those of you who do:
2) How much does a quality tattoo generally cost? I doubt it would be more than 3 in x 3 in, and probably would be b&w. I'm not worried about the pain factor, but I'd like to know how much you paid before I start trying to figure out where I'm going.
I think I paid about $50 for my first tattoo, but that was something like thirteen years ago and it's pretty small, only two colors.
More recently, I've paid anywhere from $75 to $200 for a tattoo, but it really does depend on how big it is, how complex it is, and how many colors.

For everyone:
3) Any good ideas of things to permanently ink on my body? :D I'll probably get it on my upper back near one of my shoulders--it's one of the areas that'll be least affected when I get pregnant. I'm leaning toward either a Hylian crest/Triforce or a Gears Cog. But if you guys have any other ideas, I'd love to hear them.
I wouldn't recommend getting anything that doesn't blow your skirt up, that doesn't really mean something to you. Don't get a tattoo just for the sake of getting one. That shit's FOREVER, so...give it a lot of thought first, is my advice. Seriously.
I have five tats, myself, and each one has at least six months of thought gone into it--sometimes years--before I even started scraping the cash together. Just sayin'...

A friend of mine has this tattooed on him (which I subsequently made into this motivational poster):

Heh.

E

Ezeran

Get this

but seriously key point is to get something that you want not if other people will be attracted too it.

But what do I know I'm still saving the cash for my first one

Wave tattoo from Nation by Terry Pratchett :D

I'm honestly asking to see if anyone else has any ideas to see if that lightning bolt from the heavens strikes me; as silly as it would be to say that a triforce or a cog is "meaningful" in any real way, I've been thinking for a really long time about getting a gaming tattoo. I've wasted so many hours of my life between those two games that it "means" more to me than, say, some random Tweety bird or Chinese symbol a lot of people get. Between my ex giving me shit about it and a lack of courage, I've put it off, but now it's something I really feel like I want to do. But, just to be clear, this isn't some "wow, I broke up with my boyfriend so I'm randomly going to do something crazy!" thing. It was probably going to happen eventually, and I've decided that now is the time to start seriously thinking about it.

Cajungal

Staff member
I'm glad you're in a position now where you can think seriously about it without having to worry about a lot of negative reaction. :)

And yeah, meaning is totally relative. A potato on my ankle would be a marvelous tattoo for me, but a terrible one for others (for reasons I've mentioned before). There's no reason for a non-gamer to get a gamer tattoo, but it's a part of your life. When you look at it, you'll think of all the fun times you've had playing stuff.

For a few years now, I've really wanted to get a tattoo of some sort. It would obviously be something small and easily-hidden, but I really think it would be awesome to get one. The biggest thing that stood in the way of me was my ex. He said tats on women are disgusting and he'd break up with me if I ever got one, so for years, I didn't. Now that we're broken up, my desire to get one is even stronger than before -- if anything, almost as a "fuck you" to him.

For those of you who do:

For everyone:
I have a tattoo but I'm answering all your questions anyway.

1) Nope. I like tattoos in general, and as long as the artwork is decent, I'm good.

2) 3x3 inch in black and white would be around 70/80 bucks, I think. Of course, it depends completely on where you go, but that seems a safe estimate. I let a 2x2 inch with a bit of colour set last christmas and it was 65 bucks.

3) Your back is a good idea but you might want to consider not ON your shoulder blade. That's a difficult place to tattoo. I mean, it can be done, but with all the bone it's not a very smooth place. If that makes sense. As for images, I don't have any suggestions, and ultimately you want to decide for yourself.

Also I agree with Cajungal about 'the fuck-you to your ex'.

Just remember 2 things.

1. If you get one a good rule of thumb for the ladies, is not to have it visible in a strapless evening dress/wedding gown.

2. You will be seeing this thing for years and years. Is what is cool to you at 20, cool at 40, 60 or 80?

I'm honestly asking to see if anyone else has any ideas to see if that lightning bolt from the heavens strikes me; as silly as it would be to say that a triforce or a cog is "meaningful" in any real way, I've been thinking for a really long time about getting a gaming tattoo. I've wasted so many hours of my life between those two games that it "means" more to me than, say, some random Tweety bird or Chinese symbol a lot of people get. Between my ex giving me shit about it and a lack of courage, I've put it off, but now it's something I really feel like I want to do. But, just to be clear, this isn't some "wow, I broke up with my boyfriend so I'm randomly going to do something crazy!" thing. It was probably going to happen eventually, and I've decided that now is the time to start seriously thinking about it.
From those two games specifically?

Well, Zelda-wise, besides the Triforce and Hylian crest, specifically, the "hearts" design or the Master Sword are pretty recognizable, but that's probably it for "small and tasteful".

As for Gears of War, it's probably either the cog w/skull, or just the cog maybe.

Tastefully done, tattoos are cute. Geeky tattoos are a definite plus in my opinion, but you also have to consider where you are asking.

While the Cog is a pretty cool idea, Zelda is more of a timeless game...the reference will likely still be relevant 30 years from now, whereas Gears of War might not be. Though, GoW does work better in a black and white.

A friend of mine had a 4 inch star put on her back at a place near my apartment and it cost her $80. It was red and black and completely filled in.

The SMB Mushroom or Stars are kind of cute as well and are pretty easily recognizable. I said common place before, but that wasn't the word I wanted to use.

I've always wanted to get a tattoo of the little Pearl Jam guy, but have no idea where to place it.

W

Wasabi Poptart

Figure out what you want, then think about whether you'll still like it or if it'll means something to you 20 - 30 years from now. I wanted to get Tigger when I was thinking of a tattoo. I loved Tigger. When I asked myself if I thought I'd love Tigger when I was 60 years old I really thought I'd probably regret getting that tattoo.

Also, even if this is a little bit of a "fuck you" to your ex, wait a few months before you actually do it.

Oh and I paid $125 for a blackwash tribal/Celtic design across my back (8" wide x 4" high approx.).

I've never been that into Zelda, and it's been forever since I played Gears of War. So, I can't offer any better ideas. I DO really like the COG idea, though.

I've always liked tattoos. And I don't know many people that would consider tattoos on a woman a dealbreaker. In fact, I know a few friends that would propose to a girl right there on the spot if she had a GoW tattoo.

R

Rose

I'm 41, and the only thing I regret about my tattoos is the fact that I can't wear a strapless dress without two of them showing. If I had to do it over, I'd still get all 4, but I'd get them in more discreet areas.

I have the companion cube tattooed to my wrist, so I'm in favour of geeky tattoos, obviously. In general I think a lot of tattoos can be quite hot, and as a geek I definitely notice when someone's tattoo is geeky, and I think it's all the more awesome.

Some of my friends think it's silly, others think it's awesome, and it's certainly gotten a few conversations with people of the opposite sex who recognize it -and some with those who don't.

It cost me about $90, but to answer your latter question, I did tip my artist and extra $20 for being so great to me for my first tattoo.

I wholly endorse your decision, and you definitely have to post pics when it's done!

R

RocketGirl

Oh! Another question: do you tip tattoo artists?
Well, if you're NOT supposed to, then I've been doing it wrong.

One of my five tattoos is the Rebel Alliance insignia from Star Wars,.
If I ever did tat myself up, a star wars insignia would be a choice pick. They're just so good.[/quote]

Yeah, the Rebel Alliance insignia was my first. I'm a fan from WAY back, and the Rebel Alliance held multiple layers of meaning for me, so it seemed appropriate.

I have the companion cube tattooed to my wrist...
I've considered the Companion Cube more than once; I love that thing. :)
But my next is likely to be that half-sleeve of circuitry I've been threatening to do for years. Like something out of Tron all down my right forearm.

L

LordRavage

You should get one with deep special meaning to you. I know people have said it but you should really be sure. I have known far too many people to get one and regret it. It will be on your skin for life. I hope you like commitment.

Also, you should get a tattoo artist you have a good repore with. The artist tends to do a better job when they like you and are more apt to listen to what you want. (But its you HowDroll...whats not to like. :)

You cant go wrong with dragons. I am sure there are enough video game dragons that one of them will have a special meaning for you. But like I said, choose something special for yourself. You will know it when you see it and if you dont see it, try to have someone draw what you are looking for.

Or you could do what a friend of mine did. He wanted a tattoo but didnt want anyone to know about it. So he shaved his head and had two dragons tattooed on each side. He then let his hair grow. I asked him why he did it. His repsonse "I know they are there, no one else needs to know.".

1) My husband loves my tattoos. He likes to kiss and nibble on them so...I would say their a turn on.

2) My last tat cost about $170.00.

3) No suggestions on a tat. That's a personal choice.

4) I tipped. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.