[Rant] Tech Whine Like a baby thread

Dropbox keeps insisting to me that I have bunches of files "ready to be uploaded."
Hey train your AI on someone else's files, thanks. What were you going to do with 120MB of MCEdit schematics anyway?

--Patrick

For some reason I can't access to the internet while connected to my wifi5. Windows says I have internet but it doesn't work. Even tried while in linux. I hope it's my router and not my network adapter.

Moved my pc to the living room so I could connect to my brothers wifi. And now it works with mine without problems. :mad:
Could just be that your time was set incorrectly, and connecting to your brother's WiFi allowed it to reset the internal clock.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Got a notification on my server friday night that (REDUNDANT POWER SUPPLY 2 FAIL). Well, that's why I have 2 redundant, hot swappable power supplies. But I need to know what to order. So I reach behind it and pop out the failed one...

Only to realize it numbers the power supplies left to right as viewed from the rear. So I "popped out" the good one, and the server immediately has an unplanned shut down.

I then spend an hour getting it back online and reinstalling Plex because that sucker did NOT want to start anymore. Thankfully that's all it took.

New PSU arriving monday >_<

GasBandit

Staff member
Got a notification on my server friday night that (REDUNDANT POWER SUPPLY 2 FAIL). Well, that's why I have 2 redundant, hot swappable power supplies. But I need to know what to order. So I reach behind it and pop out the failed one...

Only to realize it numbers the power supplies left to right as viewed from the rear. So I "popped out" the good one, and the server immediately has an unplanned shut down.

I then spend an hour getting it back online and reinstalling Plex because that sucker did NOT want to start anymore. Thankfully that's all it took.

New PSU arriving monday >_<
Replacement got here. It is defective too >_< NEW new replacement gets here Thursday.

Boy am I glad I have 2 power supply bays, or the server would have been down all this time.

GasBandit

Staff member
Replacement replacement got here last night. Popped it in, errors all immediately vanished. Whew.

Now I gotta mail back the bad bad.

GasBandit

Staff member
This weekend I learned, USB 3.0 hard drives do NOT like living on a 3.0 hub plugged into a 2.0 port. Bad things started happening.

Got a USB 3.0 PCIe card off Amazon for 20 bucks with 8 ports on it, plugged that into the server, now they're running better than ever.

Official rated minimum power supplied from a single USB1/USB2 port: 500ma (2.5W)
Official rated minimum power supplied from a single USB3 "A" port: 900ma (4.5W)
Official rated minimum power supplied from a single USB3 "C" port: 1500ma (7.5W)
Official rated absolute max supplied by any USB "A" port, regardless of revision: 5A/5000ma (25W)
-This is the maximum power limit the physical "A" port was designed to have to endure at 5VDC. There are some occasional USB "A" ports which run at 12VDC (labeled "USB12V") but they are DUMB because they look the same and people don't check first and then immediately fry their normal USB device when they plug it in.

-USB "C" ports are a little harder to describe, because a standard (dumb, no e-chip) USB-C cable can deliver up to 60W, but that is 3A at 20VDC instead of the normal USB standard of 5VDC (which would be only 15W). High-power cables (those with e-chip) can deliver as much as 100W (5A @ 20VDC) or more (highest rating I know is 240W which is presumably 12A @ 20VDC).

So for anyone else getting any kind of USB expansion hub or card for their computer, if that thing comes with an aux power input connection (a wall wart for hubs, or sockets like the ones on a GPU for internal cards), USE IT.

--Patrick

Last edited: