The 50 Best Selling Videogames of the 1990s Worldwide

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Selgeron

and they didnt realize all the money was in casual gaming until the Wii???

S

Steven Soderburgin

Seriously laughing out loud at WWF Warzone

-- Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:46 pm --

Also, holy SHIT that website has some annoying advertising

G

GeneralOrder24

Is that list correct? They have FF8 selling six million copies in 10 months, while FF7 only sold 10 mil in two years?

Also, bear in mind that FF8 didn't see US release until september of 99, and European release until october.

I'm not doubting that it acheived those numbers, but those are some serious sales.

M

meyoumeyou

Pojodan said:
Charlie Dont Surf said:
Tetris is the greatest video game of all time.
This
That

...(P.S. want to buy more high score competition for the tetris clones in the halforum arcade :tumbleweed: )

GeneralOrder24 said:
Is that list correct? They have FF8 selling six million copies in 10 months, while FF7 only sold 10 mil in two years?

Also, bear in mind that FF8 didn't see US release until september of 99, and European release until october.

I'm not doubting that it acheived those numbers, but those are some serious sales.
It's incredible what one successful game can do for it's sequel...

But as understand there's no really good way to tell actual sales except from what the devs/publisher tells you... so take it with a grain of salt.

Tetris is kind of a bullshit stat. Who actually bought Tetris? No one, it came with your gameboy.

Same reason Mario Brothers and Mario World are two of the best selling games of all time too

M

meyoumeyou

Seraphyn said:
Kissinger said:
Seriously laughing out loud at WWF Warzone
I played the poop out of that game. Loved it.
First wrestling videogame on the PS1 that had an in-depth create-a-player mode as I recall, incredible for its time.

And as far as it being listed, considering it came out when wrestling was really starting to hit its boom era, and the PS1 was doing the same, and that it was of a much higher quality than most PS1 games had been to that point, it isn't quite that shocking.

@Li3n said:
Dude, even over here we had a handheld that played nothing but Tetris and everyone had one...
That chart is calling it Tetris for Gameboy, they're not charting all versions of Tetris. I'm saying it's artificially skewed as a huge seller because it came with every single Gameboy.

J

JCM

Frankie said:
@Li3n said:
Dude, even over here we had a handheld that played nothing but Tetris and everyone had one...
That chart is calling it Tetris for Gameboy, they're not charting all versions of Tetris. I'm saying it's artificially skewed as a huge seller because it came with every single Gameboy.
If someone buys a gameboy with Tetris, its considered a sale of both the gameboy and Tetris (and mind you, there were Tetris-less GBs available). The makers of Tetris got paid for each cartridge sold, whether it came with a GB or not, so its not skewed at all, but to remove a game sold because it came bundled would be skewed.

Its how every company counts sales, from Windows XP that comes pre-installed to MGS4s that came in PS3 bundles, its still being sold and the company making it is still getting paid for the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.